Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sounding like RAGBRAI is going to be put on hold this year. And rumor of State Fair also. If this **** and the fear around it are still around then we will he screwed in a lot of ways..

Neither one is a very safe situation so I'm not sure how they can go on even if other parts of life are operating in some sort of normal capacity.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Bananas, apples, oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and everything with a somewhat durable skin gets washed in lukewarm water and dishsoap with a soft scrub brush as soon as I get home. Things like broccoli, cauliflower, celery I rinse the hell out of. Any junkmail goes immediately to the recycling bin in my garage without actually coming inside the house. Most of it I wait two days to open after it sits in a safe place. Always wash my hands thoroughly after handling any mail. Packages are also quarantined for two days. Probably overkill with the mail.

Do you notice anything different with the fruit vs. soap?

Any veggies I eat are from frozen packages, and pan fried so not too concerned there.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
In 24 hours Dr. Fauci has transformed from someone without all the evidence about what we’re doing in Iowa into again the preeminent expert in the field...

or maybe a couple of days ago he didn’t know all of the restrictions that were put into place and now he had a conversation with our governor and got more information. Things do change over time and knowledge is gained by all parties involved.

Reactions: jkbuff98

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Neither one is a very safe situation so I'm not sure how they can go on even if other parts of life are operating in some sort of normal capacity.
I can't think of a worse scenario than either one of those.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Accusing a doctor of giving his approval of a state plan when he really doesn't believe it is a pretty serious accusation when lives are potentially on the line. It goes against everything his profession stands for.
You and your fallacies!

Stop playing checkers in a game of chess. Frankly, granting his endorsement, or allowing it to be leveraged, in many of the things Trump has said goes against everything his profession stands for. But that’s the game you must play to keep channels open as a shill.

I’m still entertained by you thinking he’s either a shill or a well respected expert. Speak to any academic in his field and they’ll undoubtedly tell you he’s both.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Do you notice anything different with the fruit vs. soap?

Any veggies I eat are from frozen packages, and pan fried so not too concerned there.
None at all. I should've added everything is rinsed immediately and thoroughly after washing.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
In 24 hours Dr. Fauci has transformed from someone without all the evidence about what we’re doing in Iowa into again the preeminent expert in the field...
That isn’t a contradiction. The allegation was that he didn’t know what actions we were actually taking. Now after taking to the governor he appears to have realized we’ve implemented most of the stuff minus the name.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
WA resident here. I think many think the state is on lock-down? I hate to burst any bubbles but life has carried on out here. Many stores are open and most are practicing good hygiene. Masks are not required - only suggested but I just saw a guy by himself working on his car outside wearing a mask. Maybe his car was exposed. Lots of people walking, hiking, biking, running.

Today I changed winter for summer tires at TireRama, went to the weed store then picked up a sandwich at Jersey Mikes. Yesterday was hardware store. Day before was grocery store then game store to look for a puzzle.

It's really simple - keep your distance and be courteous. I'm finding MOST people don't want to touch you any more than you want to touch them. Most people are giving each other very wide berths. We're not on lock-down, we're not on quarantine - we're simply tasked with staying at home more than normal and the overwhelming majority of folks are complying - me included.

Wash your hands and keep your distance.
You’re not doing it right, but eastern Washington for you I guess.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Done some take out but it's involved wiping down containers, separating food from original casings, etc. I'm making the dumb decision to believe that it doesn't transmit via food but I've yet to see any reports that it does. Also it's all been cooked food.

With groceries and any mail, I've waited several days before eating and opening, including rinsing anything like fruit or veggies. I need to get clementines or something that include many in one package. Buying 20 apples feels like hoarding. I'd like to get some fruit either way though....I feel like I can eat a ton of fruit without worrying about weight gain.

There should be a thread for what techniques people are using for this kind of stuff. For example when I return home I wash my keys while I wash my hands. I've worn gloves out a few times and thought of just scrubbing and soaking them in a small tub with hot water and detergent, then just air drying.

Yeah I don't do any of that and have picked up food from local places. Haven't caught the virus yet.

To edit: I wash my hands after going somewhere, but don't wash **** I buy or wait to open things.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Yeah I don't do any of that and have picked up food from local places. Haven't caught the virus yet.

To edit: I wash my hands after going somewhere, but don't wash **** I buy or wait to open things.
Yet.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You and your fallacies!

Stop playing checkers in a game of chess. Frankly, granting his endorsement, or allowing it to be leveraged, in many of the things Trump has said goes against everything his profession stands for. But that’s the game you must play to keep channels open as a shill.

I’m still entertained by you thinking he’s either a shill or a well respected expert. Speak to any academic in his field and they’ll undoubtedly tell you he’s both.
I'm glad I could entertain you. I find your post pretty amusing too, so at least we both got something out of the exchange.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
One of my dads former coworkers runs one of the major food stands there and word is circulating that it's been changed fast apparently. Hopefully this is just the rumor mill though

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
That isn’t a contradiction. The allegation was that he didn’t know what actions we were actually taking. Now after taking to the governor he appears to have realized we’ve implemented most of the stuff minus the name.

We're doing what was requested, but we are too sensitive to call what we're doing by its name. Makes sense.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Cool.

I'm going to continue being proactively careful to protect myself and anyone else.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
One of my dads former coworkers runs one of the major food stands there and word is circulating that it's been changed fast apparently. Hopefully this is just the rumor mill though

County fairs start the beginning of June. It'd be easy to see how they would need to be deciding to cancel them already. And without the county fairs the state fair gets affected a pretty great deal I would imagine. Plus, entertainers have tour schedules that would not exactly allow for rescheduling for a later date. There is probably a ton of up front expenses that would be hard to recoup if attendance is a fraction of usual numbers.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Exactly. We have a Governor who is ordering people to stay at home, but refuses to issue a stay at home order. Who cares how ridiculous this looks, or how difficult it is for the average Iowan to understand?
And with NY having SIP and all the coverage and strong words from DiBlasio and Cuomo it was ******** to elbows for that essential activity of watching the Comfort. Or with the strong orders by Newsom you have a bunch of people packed in a farmers market in LA.
The objective is to keep people alive by keeping ICU space from getting overwhelmed. Looks like Iowa is on track to do that. I don't give a **** what it's called or what people elsewhere think about it. For the record I told my employees to WFH March 12, and was on here saying we should be SIP or at least be highly restrictive. But it is what it is and people are freaking out about semantics.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
There is another scenario regarding Reynolds and Fauci - Fauci might have stated the additional closings Reynolds announced today were necessary for his endorsement of her current plan. I think the closing of parks is a major escalation in restrictions, way beyond many other states.

It is going to be interesting to hear the next firestorm when/if half the state is shelter-in-place, including multiple counties having no cases, while other counties with dozens of cases continue to be exempt. My recollection is Reynolds didn't want individual counties "shut down" and originally wanted a statewide, consistent message. The regional concept might be the worst option.

Edit: The Dickinson County newspaper was the source of the park closure (it was the top Google search.) KIMT-TV also stated on its website that indoor and outdoor parks were closed. However, it is clear it applies to skate parks. I apologize for my misstatement.

Last edited:

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
There is another scenario regarding Reynolds and Fauci - Fauci might have stated the additional closings Reynolds announced today were necessary for his endorsement of her current plan. I think the closing of parks is a major escalation in restrictions, way beyond many other states.

It is going to be interesting to hear the next firestorm when/if half the state is shelter-in-place, including multiple counties having no cases, while other counties with dozens of cases continue to be exempt. My recollection is Reynolds didn't want individual counties "shut down" and originally wanted a statewide, consistent message. The regional concept might be the worst option.
Heard through the grapevine that Fauci wasn’t happy with the Romantix decision.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You and your fallacies!

This is silly. A week ago Fauci was an expert. Yet he was clearly talking about states without SIP orders as if they were all business as usual. At that same time I could use the power of the internet to compare NY and Iowa to see what was explicitly closed vs what was advised. Pretty much no difference. Doesn't mean Fauci wasn't an absolute expert, because he was and is. But he was clearly not aware of what was going on here or was just speaking in generalities at the time. Both are fine, and neither makes him anything less than an expert and authority.

Reactions: psychlone99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron