Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Here is what I don't quite get. Carry out/Delivery. I understand trying to save restaurants and all, but how is this not spreading the virus? Because lets be honest. It is. I bet if we had a lock down order the spreading would magically stop. o_O
I don’t know how much it’s being spread through traditional fast food places, but I do know I’m not willing to risk it personally.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Why do we have to argue about this anymore. Fauci, the national expert and someone seemingly everyone trusts, has effectively given our state plan his blessing. Can't we just move along?

I've been clear and consistent on this for weeks. The SIP Is secondary to broader issues of leadership and transparency.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I don’t know how much it’s being spread through traditional fast food places, but I do know I’m not willing to risk it personally.

I've done take out a number of times. I'm careful about the packaging and such. Dr. Gupta has been saying its pretty low risk and he is conservative about everything when it comes to exposure.

Reactions: Acylum

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
Seriously, look at the big picture. Reynolds was getting her a$$ reamed by reporters for days about not conforming to the rest of the country and then she stuck her foot in her mouth by suggesting that Fauci couldn't relate to what was going on in Iowa and she knew better. During the weekend, the Reynolds office contacts Fauci and lets him know that they need his support to help call off the dogs and here we are.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I've done take out a number of times. I'm careful about the packaging and such. Dr. Gupta has been saying its pretty low risk and he is conservative about everything when it comes to exposure.
It just involves so many people touching the food and packaging. That and mail/package deliveries are my two big hang ups. Yet I’m still buying fresh fruits and vegetables. Probably no way I can reconcile that.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Seriously, look at the big picture. Reynolds was getting her a$$ reamed by reporters for days about not conforming to the rest of the country and then she stuck her foot in her mouth by suggesting that Fauci couldn't relate to what was going on in Iowa and she knew better. During the weekend, the Reynolds office contacts Fauci and lets him know that they need his support to help call off the dogs and here we are.

This is probably it lol. I am not a Kimmie supporter btw.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Well that completely undercuts the reason everyone likes Fauci. You can't have it both ways. Either he is a well respected expert who won't bow to political pressure and we have a solid state plan, or he is a political shill and is not so unassailable.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It just involves so many people touching the food and packaging. That and mail/package deliveries are my two big hang ups. Yet I’m still buying fresh fruits and vegetables. Probably no way I can reconcile that.

Done some take out but it's involved wiping down containers, separating food from original casings, etc. I'm making the dumb decision to believe that it doesn't transmit via food but I've yet to see any reports that it does. Also it's all been cooked food.

With groceries and any mail, I've waited several days before eating and opening, including rinsing anything like fruit or veggies. I need to get clementines or something that include many in one package. Buying 20 apples feels like hoarding. I'd like to get some fruit either way though....I feel like I can eat a ton of fruit without worrying about weight gain.

There should be a thread for what techniques people are using for this kind of stuff. For example when I return home I wash my keys while I wash my hands. I've worn gloves out a few times and thought of just scrubbing and soaking them in a small tub with hot water and detergent, then just air drying.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I've been clear and consistent on this for weeks. The SIP Is secondary to broader issues of leadership and transparency.
I'm not a fan of her as a leader in general, although I like her better than her predecessor. I can understand wanting to do more, but I do not understand the straight up relentless nastiness that has been on display here by some, but that's the level of discourse we get on just about everything on social media.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Why do we have to argue about this anymore. Fauci, the national expert and someone seemingly everyone trusts, has effectively given our state plan his blessing. Can't we just move along?

In 24 hours Dr. Fauci has transformed from someone without all the evidence about what we’re doing in Iowa into again the preeminent expert in the field...

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Did you select 2017 for any non-political reason or just a coincidence?

I'd be curious why the various state health organizations who are responsible for their states' health didn't do more over the years and years and years and years.

Seriously - why is 2017 a magical year?
With all your trolling and partisanship, you don’t have time to follow policy or budget changes that occurred starting in 2017? And yes, I think there likely have been decisions since the end of the Cold War that contributed to less infrastructure and readiness for response than needed.

As for States vs federal failure, imo pandemic threats predominantly fall under federal jurisdictions. The cost of better/competent preparation are high, but imo this type of threat is much more likely to be damaging than the conventional national-state physical threats we spend trillions on.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
In 24 hours Dr. Fauci has transformed from someone without all the evidence about what we’re doing in Iowa into again the preeminent expert in the field...
You realize those two things are not mutually exclusive.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
WA resident here. I think many think the state is on lock-down? I hate to burst any bubbles but life has carried on out here. Many stores are open and most are practicing good hygiene. Masks are not required - only suggested but I just saw a guy by himself working on his car outside wearing a mask. Maybe his car was exposed. Lots of people walking, hiking, biking, running.

Today I changed winter for summer tires at TireRama, went to the weed store then picked up a sandwich at Jersey Mikes. Yesterday was hardware store. Day before was grocery store then game store to look for a puzzle.

It's really simple - keep your distance and be courteous. I'm finding MOST people don't want to touch you any more than you want to touch them. Most people are giving each other very wide berths. We're not on lock-down, we're not on quarantine - we're simply tasked with staying at home more than normal and the overwhelming majority of folks are complying - me included.

Wash your hands and keep your distance.

Thanks for the info. I think this does highlight the most important point, having people buy in to keeping distance and washing hands.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Accusing a doctor of giving his approval of a state plan when he really doesn't believe it is a pretty serious accusation when lives are potentially on the line. It goes against everything his profession stands for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Done some take out but it's involved wiping down containers, separating food from original casings, etc. I'm making the dumb decision to believe that it doesn't transmit via food but I've yet to see any reports that it does. Also it's all been cooked food.

With groceries and any mail, I've waited several days before eating and opening, including rinsing anything like fruit or veggies. I need to get clementines or something that include many in one package. Buying 20 apples feels like hoarding. I'd like to get some fruit either way though....I feel like I can eat a ton of fruit without worrying about weight gain.

There should be a thread for what techniques people are using for this kind of stuff. For example when I return home I wash my keys while I wash my hands. I've worn gloves out a few times and thought of just scrubbing and soaking them in a small tub with hot water and detergent, then just air drying.
Bananas, apples, oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and everything with a somewhat durable skin gets washed in lukewarm water and dishsoap with a soft scrub brush as soon as I get home. Things like broccoli, cauliflower, celery I rinse the hell out of. Any junkmail goes immediately to the recycling bin in my garage without actually coming inside the house. Most of it I wait two days to open after it sits in a safe place. Always wash my hands thoroughly after handling any mail. Packages are also quarantined for two days. Probably overkill with the mail.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'm not a fan of her as a leader in general, although I like her better than her predecessor. I can understand wanting to do more, but I do not understand the straight up relentless nastiness that has been on display here by some, but that's the level of discourse we get on just about everything on social media.

"Relentless nastiness" - can't roll my eyes hard enough at that one. Relentless criticism, sure - not unfair, IMO, given the knots she's tied herself in to defend her policy. But "relentless nastiness" is ridiculous.

Reactions: Macloney

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Sounding like RAGBRAI is going to be put on hold this year. And rumor of State Fair also. If this ****, and the fear around it are still around then, we will be screwed in a lot of ways..

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Sounding like RAGBRAI is going to be put on hold this year. And rumor of State Fair also. If this ****, and the fear around it are still around then, we will be screwed in a lot of ways..

UPDATE AS OF 4.3.2020
Dear Fair Friends,
These are certainly unprecedented and unpredictable times and I hope you are staying safe and healthy. I wanted you to know that even in times like these, we continue to move ahead with preparations for the 2020 Iowa State Fair. We are working hard to make it the best one yet and believe in these uncertain times, people will need the tradition and family friendly entertainment options available at the Fair. Although, we may implement some changes related to COVID-19 protocols, we are looking forward to the Fair, August 13-23, 2020. Like many other businesses, our staff are working remotely, but we are still available to answer any questions or provide support at any time. Please contact us by phone at 515-262-3111 or by general email at [email protected]. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding as we work to get through these challenging times together. We will continue to share information as it is available.
Stay safe,
Gary Slater, Fair Manager and CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron