Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Yes it's about saving lives, but massive job loss also leads to lost lives. So, it's not as simple as doing every possible thing to stop the virus. If that were the case, we would just tell everyone to isolate at home for 3 weeks. No is allowed to leave the house. Not for medical care, not for food. No one is allowed in elderly care facilities, even workers. Every single person is isolated in an individual room to guarantee the virus dies out.

We all agree those measures would do more harm than good. So yes, we should be doing as much as possible to save lives, but there is a point where the shut down does more harm than good. No one knows what that point is, that's why there is such a big disagreement on what we should be doing. I had thought the prevailing idea was to shut down enough to limit the spread so hospitals don't get overrun. The current projections show that we are doing that, but people are still asking for further restrictions (I realize those are only predictions and they could be wrong). That's their opinion, it might also be yours and that is fine. My opinion is we should keep as much of the economy open as we can while not overburdening the medical system. We can "do better" but I believe that needs to come from individuals taking the responsibility themselves to wear masks, keep their distance and wash their hands more so than the Governor issuing more restrictions.
The businesses that will have been shut down for 6+ weeks and fail might disagree with you. I’d guess most businesses could survive 2 weeks shut down. So is it worse to have a really weak ‘essential’ business policy that lasts a long time or a robust one for shorter?

Food (no restaurants), shelter, healthcare, security. Shut everything else down for 2-3 weeks. Just rip the bandaid off; being too passive about just extends the pain.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The businesses that will have been shut down for 6+ weeks and fail might disagree with you. I’d guess most businesses could survive 2 weeks shut down. So is it worse to have a really weak ‘essential’ business policy that lasts a long time or a robust one for shorter?

Food (no restaurants), shelter, healthcare, security. Shut everything else down for 2-3 weeks. Just rip the bandaid off; being too passive about just extends the pain.
I actually think that is worse. Not only is it harder on the economy to start out with but it also will just have a peak later. The goal is to keep it shut down enough to keep the peak under our resources. Unless we have a vaccine in the next couple of weeks heard immunity of some sort is needed. We can’t completely eliminate this disease.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Agree it’s probably more of an up down (authoritarian vs libertarian) question than a left right. It’s more an issue of what people value in their life. Some want to make sure they are safe and are willing to give up control while others are more comfortable with the risk as long as they still retain their choices.
Or, it could be framed as a rights vs. responsibilities debate.

If the rest of us aren’t willing to make sacrifices to reduce the risk healthcare workers are exposing themselves to in order to care for us, I’m not sure why they should take that risk. They should just half-ass shelter in place as well.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Or, it could be framed as a rights vs. responsibilities debate.

If the rest of us aren’t willing to make sacrifices to reduce the risk healthcare workers are exposing themselves to in order to care for us, I’m not sure why they should take that risk. They should just half-ass shelter in place as well.
Preventing spread is a public good.
Why should healthcare workers be the custodians of the tragedy of the commons!

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
Economies recover. Dead bodies don't. The economic crash and unemployment is already happening, that boat has sailed with no obvious end in sight. Is there some masterful non-medical, pure-ecnomics strong play I'm missing here?
I dont think stay at home or work really matters because idiots are going to keep ignoring rules or guidelines like always and ruin it for everybody else.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Interesting piece on a Mason City station...SIP Minnesota golfers are traveling to Iowa to play because Minnesota courses are closed under Minnesota's SIP order. I guess SIP really doesn't mean SIP to some folks. It all comes down to individual responsibility for any of these restrictions to be meaningful.

I have heard non residents can not play in Iowa. Also I bought Caseys the other day at 119.00 a share. (better than a holiday inn stay!!) Portfolio still down though.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I’m beginning to think (hope) the debate isn’t as much political as it is one group thinking everything possible should be done to limit each individual’s potential exposure vs another group that wants to take a more pragmatic approach.

I think a lot of people want to be pragmatic but it's tough to determine what the tradeoffs are. All we know for sure is we don't want to end up like Italy or NYC. We're getting to the point of reasonable testing and just about the point where the effects of social distancing are starting to appear. Washington state is probably the farthest ahead and there's getting to be decent evidence their deaths and health care usage might have peaked a couple days ago with their fairly aggressive and early measures. I'm not big on real draconian government intervention but if you let too many bad actors keep businesses open it just keeps the rest of us from getting back to work.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Nice strawman!

Clearly competent preparation, starting years ago, particularly in 2017, but extremely heightened in December is the real answer. I put most of that failure at the federal jurisdiction, but states aren’t without some cutting of corners to appease their favorite constituents.

1.) do basically nothing
2.)slowly dipping our toes in/taking 5 seconds to rip the band aid
3.) swift, drastic actions to minimize the total disruption while buying time to recover from the past federal failures
4.) do everything possible

Between those 4 options, I don’t think many would start with 4.), and believe we have too much of 2.) rather than 3.). We’re going to end up with a lot of economic pain without really doing much imo.

It may not be popular (lacks humanity), but I’d actually lean towards 1.) before 4.) or even 2.) if we knew more about the actual mortality rate and long term impacts (reoccurrence, lasting damage).

Did you select 2017 for any non-political reason or just a coincidence?

I'd be curious why the various state health organizations who are responsible for their states' health didn't do more over the years and years and years and years.

Seriously - why is 2017 a magical year?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think a lot of people want to be pragmatic but it's tough to determine what the tradeoffs are. All we know for sure is we don't want to end up like Italy or NYC. We're getting to the point of reasonable testing and just about the point where the effects of social distancing are starting to appear. Washington state is probably the farthest ahead and there's getting to be decent evidence their deaths and health care usage might have peaked a couple days ago with their fairly aggressive and early measures. I'm not big on real draconian government intervention but if you let too many bad actors keep businesses open it just keeps the rest of us from getting back to work.

WA resident here. I think many think the state is on lock-down? I hate to burst any bubbles but life has carried on out here. Many stores are open and most are practicing good hygiene. Masks are not required - only suggested but I just saw a guy by himself working on his car outside wearing a mask. Maybe his car was exposed. Lots of people walking, hiking, biking, running.

Today I changed winter for summer tires at TireRama, went to the weed store then picked up a sandwich at Jersey Mikes. Yesterday was hardware store. Day before was grocery store then game store to look for a puzzle.

It's really simple - keep your distance and be courteous. I'm finding MOST people don't want to touch you any more than you want to touch them. Most people are giving each other very wide berths. We're not on lock-down, we're not on quarantine - we're simply tasked with staying at home more than normal and the overwhelming majority of folks are complying - me included.

Wash your hands and keep your distance.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Here is what I don't quite get. Carry out/Delivery. I understand trying to save restaurants and all, but how is this not spreading the virus? Because lets be honest. It is. I bet if we had a lock down order the spreading would magically stop. o_O

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This is going to frustrate a few posters on here that constantly quote Dr. Fauci and berate Kim Reynolds...

And this will be seized upon by people who have been wrong about everything since this all started.

Get back to me when someone can reconcile her contradictory arguments that we're operating under a functional SIP while simultaneously needing a "metric" (quotes intentional) to trigger an SIP.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
And this will be seized upon by people who have been wrong about everything since this all started.

Get back to me when someone can reconcile her contradictory arguments that we're operating under a functional SIP while simultaneously needing a "metric" (quotes intentional) to trigger an SIP.
Why do we have to argue about this anymore. Fauci, the national expert and someone seemingly everyone trusts, has effectively given our state plan his blessing. Can't we just move along?

Status
Not open for further replies.