Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I can tell you my one client car dealership sold 10 cars last week while another client car dealership sold 3. The first one mentioned was down but only slightly from normal and the 2nd one is way down from normal. Both only have about 3 - 4 people working at them.

I have a friend that works sales for a business and he is commission based for his pay. Right now they are by appointment only and only 1 sales person can be in on a given day. Their service shop is still open though. He said things are really slow right now and they have to get creative to make a sale but luckily he has saved up enough over the years to weather through this but not everyone else he knows in sales can without a paycheck right now. His girlfriend is a dental assistant and she is laid off right now too and had to file for unemployment.

I work IT support for an essential business and as long as we still have employees in the office I don't see a scenario where I am told I have to work from home. Some of the job functions unfortunately someone still has to be in the office for because they cannot replicate that function in a work from home environment. I've faced the harsh reality that I likely have been exposed to the virus at some point by now that there are at least 3 confirmed cases in the building I primarily work out of. I feel just fine tonight and by end of this week will be at least 14 days or more since the last known case was in the office so unless any more cases are reported that have been in the office more recent than that I'm hoping all the precautionary measures I have taken in recent weeks keeps me healthy.

One thing I am grateful for is the alumni association handed out free ISU buffs at 1 football game last year so I'm now keeping that on me to wear as a face mask if I find myself in a situation I feel I need to wear it. Most of my interaction at work is over the phone or remote support lately but if I find myself in a situation where I can't distance enough I'll be sporting the cardinal and gold at least if I need to break out the buff.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
So that is expecting the peak to be April 15? Is that what I am reading?

You can select it by state too. Right now Iowa's peak is projected for April 26th with a big drop off about 10 days after that. That's about in line with what some are saying we are about 2 weeks behind the NY peak. From what I have been hearing around the office this past week most managers were targeting June 1 as a date people would start coming back into the office and based on that curve that would support that guess.

I'm usually a very optimistic person but at this point I pretty much have assumed at this point we won't be opening anything non-essential till sometime in mid to late May at the earliest. I'm fine with the approach of extending things as the data comes in. So far Iowa has been extending closures out about 2 weeks in advance of the previously set deadlines and I think as long as we continue to do that there is no reason to panic people anymore by going further out than that.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
They reworked some things and just posted an updated model tonight. National went down from 93k to 81k.

Looks like it's a day behind on deaths for Iowa. It showed a projection of 3 deaths for today and the actual count was 8.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Still a month off, but I’d be ecstatic if things started leveling off by May.

We’re not completely out of it until a vaccine/treatment is ready, but people will be ready for the news to turn for the better

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
so these projections say Iowa is not going to max out anything in the hospitals.

Worth noting that the shaded areas represent the range of possible outcomes, so it could happen under a worst case scenario

Regardless, would be good news if we don’t come close to overloading hospitals.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Worth noting that the shaded areas represent the range of possible outcomes, so it could happen under a worst case scenario

Regardless, would be good news if we don’t come close to overloading hospitals.

Edit: this is true for their projection on icu beds, not total beds

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
And article in The Economist from a couple days ago indicates that the COVID-19 death toll may be underreported so far. The average number of deaths from all causes, plus the number of deaths attributed to COVID-19 cases, is significantly lower than the actual total number of deaths in Spain and Italy. It could be "pneumonia" or other conditions that were aggravated by COVID-19, or it could be collateral damage from overrun healthcare systems.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...-appears-higher-than-official-figures-suggest

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Still a month off, but I’d be ecstatic if things started leveling off by May.

We’re not completely out of it until a vaccine/treatment is ready, but people will be ready for the news to turn for the better

Even if everyone that wanted a test could get one to either tell them they have it or if they have had it would be a start to get us back in track.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Saw a segment on CNN about some hope that an old TB vaccine could help our immune system against covid 19 and might provide a stop gap while we wait for a vaccine against covid 19. It's already gone through medical trials so if it's effective it could be available fairly quickly.

Reactions: cowgirl836

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Interesting piece on a Mason City station...SIP Minnesota golfers are traveling to Iowa to play because Minnesota courses are closed under Minnesota's SIP order. I guess SIP really doesn't mean SIP to some folks. It all comes down to individual responsibility for any of these restrictions to be meaningful.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Interesting piece on a Mason City station...SIP Minnesota golfers are traveling to Iowa to play because Minnesota courses are closed under Minnesota's SIP order. I guess SIP really doesn't mean SIP to some folks. It all comes down to individual responsibility for any of these restrictions to be meaningful.

Yeah, come on man.....you can’t have some silly virus screwing up my golf game. :confused::rolleyes:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have a hard time believing anything from this Covid19 site. In 5 days, Iowa projections went from:

Beds Needed 4,655 to 726
ICU Beds Needed 702 to 150
Total Deaths 1,500 to 420

Maybe Reynolds people actually knew these type of numbers?

The only concern now is that people see these numbers and think it's "all clear" and this would be the worst week to actually be out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron