Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Anyone else feel like the cases is holding steady only because we have been stuck at testing 700 per day for like 3 weeks?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Anyone else feel like the cases is holding steady only because we have been stuck at testing 700 per day for like 3 weeks?
I figured that was an assumption at this point. There's going to be more infected people than we know about, and possibly a few deaths slipping under the radar at times as well. The kicker to watch with the tests we have now seems not to be the number of positives, but rather the rate of positives (which so far has hung around 7% pretty consistently).

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I figured that was an assumption at this point. There's going to be more infected people than we know about, and possibly a few deaths slipping under the radar at times as well. The kicker to watch with the tests we have now seems not to be the number of positives, but rather the rate of positives (which so far has hung around 7% pretty consistently).
Then idk why Kimmy is using our "data" to make decisions.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Pretty much the same here in Iowa which is why it is just semantics
https://amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/5087821002

A
pparently essential:
Romantix, an adult entertainment store with nine locations across the state, remained open as of Friday. Romantix operates two Des Moines locations, at 2020 E. Euclid Ave. and at 1401 E. Army Post Road. The stores are open 24/7 and offer sex toys, lingerie and adult DVDs.

Car dealerships are not included in the Iowa closure orders.

Several craft and fabric stores remain open, including Hobby Lobby, Michaels and JoAnn Fabrics. Such stores have so far not been listed in any of the governor's orders.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hey man she's the expert, not the Iowa Board of Medicine and not Dr. Fauci. She knows more than both of them. Putting that community college education to WORK!

Just a side note, you know she had a degree from ISU don’t you? Or are you saying that an ISU degree equates to a CC degree?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

A
pparently essential:
Romantix, an adult entertainment store with nine locations across the state, remained open as of Friday. Romantix operates two Des Moines locations, at 2020 E. Euclid Ave. and at 1401 E. Army Post Road. The stores are open 24/7 and offer sex toys, lingerie and adult DVDs.

Several craft and fabric stores remain open, including Hobby Lobby, Michaels and JoAnn Fabrics. Such stores have so far not been listed in any of the governor's orders.

Hobby Lobby is finally closing all stores nationwide.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Getting towards 2% death rate of confirmed cases for Iowa by my count, give or take.

WI is getting closer to 3%.

US is at 2.6%.

It's rising. I'd still like to know where we are vs. what a place like Italy or Spain was like at the same time in spreading.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

A
pparently essential:

What's your point?

1. I don't agree that Romantics is essential, but I would also venture that there is never more than 5 people in there at one time so I don't see it as a huge issue.

2. Car dealerships will not be closed under a shelter in place as they are deemed essential by Homeland Security.

3. Those fabric stores are open under the guise that they are selling fabric for masks. So with a SIP they will still be open.

I am neither for or against a SIP in place because essentially we are operating under a SIP without it being called that. In fact we have more restrictions than some places that are in a SIP.

So my stance is who the hell cares if we say there is a SIP because we've pretty much closed all non-essential businesses.

Reactions: Acylum

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Getting towards 2% death rate of confirmed cases for Iowa by my count, give or take.

WI is getting closer to 3%.

US is at 2.6%.

It's rising. I'd still like to know where we are vs. what a place like Italy or Spain was like at the same time in spreading.

Death rate went up a lot last week bc its all the folks on Vent for past 30 days...THe more drug combos are used the fewer deaths we will see.

6000 people die every day in the US...Every day. How many of those COVID pts were over 75 with late stage cancer...Heart failure...pneumonia...COPD...Severe diabetes...etc..?

Not minimizing it just that losing 2500 a month in entire country over a disease is not shocking.

Wait until we can finally have Serology testing for antibodies available or at home tests.. Death rate will be under 0.5%..

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I will say, I DO think Reynolds will eventually finalize a “Shelter at home” order eventually. I’m reading our peak here in Iowa isn’t going to happen till May, so I could see it happening late April. It’s just going to be a while before she pulls the trigger on that one.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What's your point?

1. I don't agree that Romantics is essential, but I would also venture that there is never more than 5 people in there at one time so I don't see it as a huge issue.

2. Car dealerships will not be closed under a shelter in place as they are deemed essential by Homeland Security.

3. Those fabric stores are open under the guise that they are selling fabric for masks. So with a SIP they will still be open.

I am neither for or against a SIP in place because essentially we are operating under a SIP without it being called that. In fact we have more restrictions than some places that are in a SIP.

So my stance is who the hell cares if we say there is a SIP because we've pretty much closed all non-essential businesses.

I've lost track and can't seem to find it (figured it would be easier)--was there an official mandate to close non-essentials, and was there an order to close schools? Churches? I.e. is there going to potentially be a point where these individual places decide to re-open since they're not on a mandate?

Like soon, just because there's some sort of 3 day trend of falling case numbers?

Because if so people will undoubtedly get the wrong message and assume all's well and then you have real serious problems.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
What's your point?

My point was just that there are a number of “essential” businesses that continue to function that IMHO are decidedly not. With the exception of federally exempted essential businesses (not sure which all those are) I’m assuming Reynolds could shut more down if she wanted to.

Not trying to argue, and don’t really care what they want to call it, just get it done. Although there most likely is some degree of movement that would be reduced with a formal order.

Status
Not open for further replies.