Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I like Fauci too, but he has been all over the place with his recommendations. Just last week he was saying this pandemic was a regional issue with hotspots in different parts of the nation, and it was going to have to be different response levels for different parts of the country at different times. Now he says every state should have stay at home orders, whatever that means. Meanwhile his boss won't order that. The message from federal leadership has been a muddled mess leaving states to fend for themselves.

Then we have Reynolds getting crucified for saying Fauci probably doesn't have all the information even though she is probably right. Does Fauci know that Ohio, who has issued a "stay at home" order is still allowing churches to hold services while Iowa, who has not ordered "stay at home", has prohibited such gatherings? I doubt he does. How could he know all the details of every individual states policies. This is the result of leadership from the bottom up in a national crisis that needs the exact opposite.
So why doesn’t she just say it? What happens if the 10 points is hit?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
What happens if the 10 points is hit?
giphy.gif

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I forgot to reply to this earlier. I'm not in any way minimizing your concerns or fears, but I very sincerely think it's highly unlikely it will ever come to this. I haven't followed every state's restrictions but is even NYC on that level of restrictions right now?

Regardless, every expert recommendation I have read says that getting outside is necessary in these times. Particularly in a place like Iowa it's 100% possible to do that while observing a healthy distance from people. It's going to have to get bad beyond anything any of us has imagined so far for them to take that away.

Obviously I can't predict the future but I've read everything I can about all this, and I think if you're at home already your next month or two will probably look identical to your last two or three weeks...with the exception of more reliably pleasant weather outside.
I didn’t really disagree with you that no one legitimately is calling for that yet. Like I said my fear is more based in the fact that I have zero faith in Reynolds competence. I also am fearful from the aspect that I think certain segments particularly so called “medical experts” will continue to call for more restrictive measures as we do more. I think that medical experts are exceptionally prone to tunnel vision on some things. The way to save the most lives from Coronavirus is to hide in our homes for the next year. That isn’t the best way to have the most people survive this situation though.

Like you said that isn’t why people are calling for right now but I see it as a slippery slope to be honest. I also could just have a totally irrational fear of it but I do so that’s where I come from.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I regularly work from home 2 days per week and I agree. I'm usually more productive at home and I am definitely happier. I will say that I'm not sure I would like 5 days a week forever, but I'd rather have 5 days a week than not being able to telework at all. One problem with my employer is we can't take home our docking stations and monitors. So everything is on our laptops. I'd like to have a better setup.

My employer has been great.
- allowed us to check out monitors, docking stations and keyboards
- kicked out office employees and have to have approval to get back in
- allowing wage employees to stay home if at risk or sick
- shutdown for a few days when a positive was found

Only issue is that Our VPN wasn’t design for all of us to be offline at once. But it hasn’t been bad.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
My employer has been great.
- allowed us to check out monitors, docking stations and keyboards
- kicked out office employees and have to have approval to get back in
- allowing wage employees to stay home if at risk or sick
- shutdown for a few days when a positive was found

Only issue is that Our VPN wasn’t design for all of us to be offline at once. But it hasn’t been bad.

Is your employer deemed essential?
Are the wage employees still being paid their regular wage by the company while home?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I have a question for the smart people on here. How does Canada only have 187 deaths. Did they shut down the country early or what?

Canada has roughly the population of California but they cover a vastly larger area. California has a population density of 253 per square mile. Canada is 3. Having one of the lowest population densities in the world will have benefits in practical and cultural ways that will help manage this problem.

For comparison, Iowa has 42 people per square mile.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Canada has roughly the population of California but they cover a vastly larger area. California has a population density of 253 per square mile. Canada is 3. Having one of the lowest population densities in the world will have benefits in practical and cultural ways that will help manage this problem.

That doesn’t really paint the picture though.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
That doesn’t really paint the picture though.

If people are wondering why things play out differently in other places, it's important to look at the ways those places are different than what you are comparing them to.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If people are wondering why things play out differently in other places, it's important to look at the ways those places are different than what you are comparing them to.

There are vast swaths of land in Canada that NO ONE lives in. Think it would be more useful to break the country in to parts. The density in Southern Ontario is much greater than 3 per sq mile and I think that is useful when talking disease transmission rather than just “oh they have a low pop density so they’re fine” and minimizing the efforts they are taking to fight the virus.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

This is a little misleading though, as ~90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border.

It can help explain if hotspots not spreading within Canada, but not why eg Toronto, which is bigger than all US cities but LA and NYC, is doing comparatively well (as far as I’ve heard). Besides, two of the first major hotspots in US were Seattle and NYC which are 3000 miles apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron