Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What is their job at Wells Fargo? I dont know of anyone that is currently not working from home besides team members in banks, call centers and some support staff.

Also Wells is giving everyone that makes under $100k a $600 stimulus check this Friday. Also, anyone that is deemed essential and has to go into the office is getting an extra $200 in their next 5 checks. Oh yeah and if you are an hourly employee they have also offered some daycare assistance.
No clue as to what that situation is. There was a report last week from an employer that said he did not feel safe in their environment and then a specific question was asked after someone tested positive from within their office.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What is their job at Wells Fargo? I dont know of anyone that is currently not working from home besides team members in banks, call centers and some support staff.

Also Wells is giving everyone that makes under $100k a $600 stimulus check this Friday. Also, anyone that is deemed essential and has to go into the office is getting an extra $200 in their next 5 checks. Oh yeah and if you are an hourly employee they have also offered some daycare assistance.

I mean, if WF wanted they could get a lot of those people in call center environments at home as well. I've spoken to people from more than one company who were doing their call center job from home. WF simply doesnt want to spend the money on making it happen, and they won't until someone like the governor makes it a 'do it or so no business at all' proposition.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I mean, if WF wanted they could get a lot of those people in call center environments at home as well. I've spoken to people from more than one company who were doing their call center job from home. WF simply doesnt want to spend the money on making it happen, and they won't until someone like the governor makes it a 'do it or so no business at all' proposition.
Also, is $1000 in bonus money going to cover medical bills if you end up having to be hospitalized?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Do some of you actually think there are medical professionals, hospital admins, etc telling Reynolds we need to do more but she’s telling them “Nah, we’re good”? I’ve seen these people pleading with state leadership in other states but not here so far. Maybe there are examples out there and I haven’t seen them. Some of you need to come to terms with the fact the current strategy is to allow people to be exposed while minimizing the number of deaths. Because guess what, that’s pretty much the only strategy available right now. I know nobody has come out and stated that exactly but it’s pretty easy to infer.

At least three mayors and a US Congresswoman have publicly asked her for the shelter in place. Which she told them they could do themselves before realizing she made a whoopsie and they actually can't, if that is any insight into the quality of advice she's getting.

Do they count? Suppose they might be in touch with the medical communities in their respective areas?

Ask yourself what Kim Reynolds knows about this crisis that virtually nobody else in the country does. You may laugh out loud or shudder in fear at that thought but that's where we are right now.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what "shelter in place" means for corona virus. Is everyone diving under the nearest desk or other safe spot and not moving for the next 4 to 12 months? I guarantee you every state that has declared "shelter in place" is not doing the same thing, and a lot of them are probably very similar to Iowa.

I can still go to the big 4 (grocery store, liquor store, hardware store, dispensary) with no problems. I am just more thoughtful about it.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
At least three mayors and a US Congresswoman have publicly asked her for the shelter in place. Which she told them they could do themselves before realizing she made a whoopsie and they actually can't, if that is any insight into the quality of advice she's getting.

Do they count? Suppose they might be in touch with the medical communities in their respective areas?

Ask yourself what Kim Reynolds knows about this crisis that virtually nobody else in the country does. You may laugh out loud or shudder in fear at that thought but that's where we are right now.

Thing is, I have no doubt she's taking this seriously and agree with the desire to take a measured approach.

I think most of the frustration with her is the lack of clarity on what the metrics are for a shelter in place, and no one seems to know what the tipping point is where she'll order one.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

What hospitals are currently overrun? What effect do you think stricter measures would have right now? How long should a shelter in place order last? How do you enforce it? Who does it include? What do you do when the time is up?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What hospitals are currently overrun? What effect do you think stricter measures would have right now? How long should a shelter in place order last? How do you enforce it? Who does it include? What do you do when the time is up?
Well since she's waited so long, she currently has about 40+ other states that she can use as a model to answer some of those questions.

And wouldn't you rather not have a hospital be overrun before making a strict decision? Making a more strict decision after a hospital or two is overrun would defeat the purpose of why states are implementing these in the first place.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
What's the point of using numbers from a couple days ago? They are very different now here in Iowa.

Heck, I'd argue what is the point of using current numbers? The number of deaths for pretty much the whole rest of this week are basically decided - we just don't know what they are. My biggest issue with Iowa in this is that it is to many reactionary decisions. If you wait for the numbers you are already days behind the game.

Reactions: Doc

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Don't ask me, ask Kim Reynolds. She says herself she's on conference calls with governors who have weighed all these questions and decided it was the right call to make. So again, what does she know that they don't?

And your use of the word "currently" shows that you don't get it either.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What are the projections for deaths and hospital stays from Coronavirus in Iowa? That is what matters. Maybe the experts are currently projecting not much will happen yet. In my area, there hasn’t been any community spread yet and the two I know that have it are just about clear. Local Hospital has no patients with corona in it.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Thing is, I have no doubt she's taking this seriously and agree with the desire to take a measured approach.

I think most of the frustration with her is the lack of clarity on what the metrics are for a shelter in place, and no one seems to know what the tipping point is where she'll order one.
Didn't she mention the 4 pieces of criteria to escalate things? I swear I saw it on here somewhere. Doesn't mean a shelter in place but yeah.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Again people keep getting stuck on the terminology. No one has articulated what this vast difference in approach from Iowa and other states are. Other states are taking similar actions but calling them shelter in place. Just because they are using the term wrong doesn’t mean we should.

Any company that isn’t allowing people to work from home that can should be reported to the government. The governors actions clearly show that she isn’t understanding that people are still working in offices who don’t have to. I don’t think she understands that people like the Wells Fargo call center employees can work remote.

Continued calls for a shelter in place are going to lead to us all being locked in our house except for the grocery store.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Again people keep getting stuck on the terminology. .

No, they arent. People have articulated the differences multiple times in this thread and then idiots wander in and go "its the same thing except for terminology"

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Again people keep getting stuck on the terminology. No one has articulated what this vast difference in approach from Iowa and other states are. Other states are taking similar actions but calling them shelter in place. Just because they are using the term wrong doesn’t mean we should.

Any company that isn’t allowing people to work from home that can should be reported to the government. The governors actions clearly show that she isn’t understanding that people are still working in offices who don’t have to. I don’t think she understands that people like the Wells Fargo call center employees can work remote.

Continued calls for a shelter in place are going to lead to us all being locked in our house except for the grocery store.
I honestly do not believe you can force a company to go remote without the some sort of mandate. It doesn’t matter what Gov Reynolds recommends, those don’t hold any weight. An actual mandate does and she can call it literally whatever she wants!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
North Dakota 760k population (98 cases) .0125
South Dakota Population 880k (90 cases) .0102
Nebraska Population 1.9m (120 cases) .0063
Iowa 3.1m (336 cases) .0108

Illinois 12.7m (4,596 cases) .0361

This would be comparable if everyone was testing at the same rate (still waiting on those federal government promises that everyone can get tested...) but they aren't. I know of two people in my work/friends circle that have been told "assume you have it but you don't meet the criteria for an official test" here in Iowa. I highly doubt its a coincidence that I know 2 of the 400 people in the entire state of Iowa that have it. I think A LOT more people have it (which does bode well for the death rate stats) we just aren't testing enough people. And I tend to trust Dr. Fauci when he said the key to getting back to a semi-normal life is frequent and easy testing.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I’m convinced that we could end up like New York and she wouldn’t order a shelter in place. I understand she’s likely taking this seriously and working hard, but I don’t believe she’s doing enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron