Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I tried to convince the wife that sex would cure it, but she never believes anything I say.
I think I know how you could "just show her" but I'd rather not see that.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Currently in the United States there are only 7 states that don't have a mandatory shelter-in-place directive at the city or state level. Those states are Nevada, Arizona, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Arkansas, anddd Iowa.

Nevada actually does have something really similar in place, as all non-essential businesses are closed, but apparently it's not called a shelter in place. Mayors all over Arizona are demanding their governor put in this mandate as well.

We have 3x more cases than Nebraska and 4x more cases than North and South Dakota.

We're getting a bad grade in social distancing because we're not required to do it so people aren't listening.

We also get a bad grade because there's not a mandatory closing of schools despite all (?) being closed anyway.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
We have 3x more cases than Nebraska and 4x more cases than North and South Dakota.

We're getting a bad grade in social distancing because we're not required to do it so people aren't listening.

North Dakota 760k population (98 cases) .0125
South Dakota Population 880k (90 cases) .0102
Nebraska Population 1.9m (120 cases) .0063
Iowa 3.1m (336 cases) .0108

Illinois 12.7m (4,596 cases) .0361

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what "shelter in place" means for corona virus. Is everyone diving under the nearest desk or other safe spot and not moving for the next 4 to 12 months? I guarantee you every state that has declared "shelter in place" is not doing the same thing, and a lot of them are probably very similar to Iowa.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
And I'm not saying it's an easy call either. It certainly isn't and I understand that. However, she's defending this decision by saying she does not believe it's the right time yet. So by saying that, my opinion would be she knows this decision is probably going to come at some point. If that's the case, don't you want to be ahead of things? Don't you want to be the leader that is proactive rather than reactive?

What she somehow fails to understand - or perhaps understands perfectly but knows most of the general public won't understand - is by the time we hit whatever criteria she has for taking more drastic action, it's already too late. She's managing it like it's a flood where you close a road when the water gets high enough and this is a different kind of crisis.

I'm not clear what her motivating factor is here. Maybe she wants to look good in conservative circles by being able to say Iowa came through this with minimal true shutdowns and relatively few cases/deaths. Maybe the chamber of commerce types and CEOs she holds so dear are bending her ear to keep things open.

I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, and then I saw her four criteria and they're no better than anyone who's been following the news could have come up with. So maybe this is all as simple as her and her administration not being up to the job. That would certainly explain her constantly retreating to tired talking points and refusing to answer basic questions weeks into the crisis.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
What she somehow fails to understand - or perhaps understands perfectly but knows most of the general public won't understand - is by the time we hit whatever criteria she has for taking more drastic action, it's already too late. She's managing it like it's a flood where you close a road when the water gets high enough and this is a different kind of crisis.

I'm not clear what her motivating factor is here. Maybe she wants to look good in conservative circles by being able to say Iowa came through this with minimal true shutdowns and relatively few cases/deaths. Maybe the chamber of commerce types and CEOs she holds so dear are bending her ear to keep things open.

I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, and then I saw her four criteria and they're no better than anyone who's been following the news could have come up with. So maybe this is all as simple as her and her administration not being up to the job. That would certainly explain her constantly retreating to tired talking points and refusing to answer basic questions weeks into the crisis.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

That must be yesterday's numbers.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

We have 424 cases now. I can also name you plenty of states that have stricter policies in place, have less of a population, and have less deaths.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what "shelter in place" means for corona virus. Is everyone diving under the nearest desk or other safe spot and not moving for the next 4 to 12 months? I guarantee you every state that has declared "shelter in place" is not doing the same thing, and a lot of them are probably very similar to Iowa.

Stay At Home unless it’s essential that you leave. Go to the grocery store, go to the pharmacy, go out for a walk around your area (it’s important for your health to do so) and maintain social distancing. JFC this back and forth about this **** is ******* exhausting.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
We have 424 cases now. I can also name you plenty of states that have stricter policies in place, have less of a population, and have less deaths.

ok, so now it's deaths we're measuring?

Iowa has the 36th in the number of deaths by state
Iowa is 31st in population

NUmbers from a couple days ago.
960x0.jpg

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I agree with all of this. I just don't know what she's trying to prove here. "Lets see if I can be the last state to implement the shelter in place"? That's honestly what it feels like here.

Every single press conference is the exact same.. She walks up to the podium, "mourns" the loss of those who passed, and then states the numbers. She then pleads the public to listen to her words and dodges every other question because she honestly doesn't know how to answer them. Half of the questions aren't even scientifically based! I would understand if someone asked her a question with a lot of jargon and she needed help answering it, but most of the questions are just based on her own criteria she put in place and the decisions she has decided to make.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Do some of you actually think there are medical professionals, hospital admins, etc telling Reynolds we need to do more but she’s telling them “Nah, we’re good”? I’ve seen these people pleading with state leadership in other states but not here so far. Maybe there are examples out there and I haven’t seen them. Some of you need to come to terms with the fact the current strategy is to allow people to be exposed while minimizing the number of deaths. Because guess what, that’s pretty much the only strategy available right now. I know nobody has come out and stated that exactly but it’s pretty easy to infer.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

960x0.jpg
Okay so what's your point with all of that? We currently have a higher death rate than 13 states on that list who all have stricter policies in place..

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

What's the point of using numbers from a couple days ago? They are very different now here in Iowa.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Do some of you actually think there are medical professionals, hospital admins, etc telling Reynolds we need to do more but she’s telling them “Nah, we’re good”? I’ve seen these people pleading with state leadership in other states but not here so far. Maybe there are examples out there and I haven’t seen them. Some of you need to come to terms with the fact the current strategy is to allow people to be exposed while minimizing the number of deaths. Because guess what, that’s pretty much the only strategy available right now. I know nobody has come out and stated that exactly but it’s pretty easy to infer.
Are our medical professionals giving different advice than other states? Is Iowa that much different than anywhere else?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
https://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/dubuque-area-health-providers-to-tell-everyone-to-stay-home

I hate to tell you this, but there are about 42 other states that disagree with you about this being the only strategy available.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Yeah there was a question from someone who still has to go into Wells Fargo, a place that just had an employee test positive. Uh, she said "I still strongly encourage businesses to allow their workers to work from home if you can."
What is their job at Wells Fargo? I dont know of anyone that is currently not working from home besides team members in banks, call centers and some support staff.

Also Wells is giving everyone that makes under $100k a $600 stimulus check this Friday. Also, anyone that is deemed essential and has to go into the office is getting an extra $200 in their next 5 checks. Oh yeah and if you are an hourly employee they have also offered some daycare assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.