Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Supposedly if you’re feeling anxious, you can walk out in your yard barefoot and the contact with the grass will make you feel better.

Some real hippie **** but I might be tempted if I need to shake off some cabin fever

I've no doubt. Feels good to walk on grass. Til you find a thistle.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
My oldest son is employed by a commercial electrical company in the Des Moines area, this is a national company and they are still working. He says that since they are in small groups or working alone or in ones or twos, they have been told they are fine to continue working. Their work environment is considered "safe" because the general public is not allowed in the areas that they are working in, whatever that means.
They do a lot of work at Iowa State.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My oldest son is employed by a commercial electrical company in the Des Moines area, this is a national company and they are still working. He says that since they are in small groups or working alone or in ones or twos, they have been told they are fine to continue working. Their work environment is considered "safe" because the general public are not in the area, whatever that means.
They do a lot of work at Iowa State.
Who's specifying it as safe? The employer? Because I'm sure most employers are going to argue and say their workplace is safe.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Same. It has come and go for about 10 days, which seems a lot longer than it would if it were CoVid. I can't tell if I have a cough, either, or if I'm just paranoid about it and am noticing every little tickle. Hoping it's just weather related or psychosomatic.

Ha, I've had a similar thing. Occasional phlegm but not really coughing.

Boiling up and inhaling salt water steam seems to help.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Supposedly if you’re feeling anxious, you can walk out in your yard barefoot and the contact with the grass will make you feel better.

Some real hippie **** but I might be tempted if I need to shake off some cabin fever

I had a friend who was experiencing some anxiety over a year ago and her doctor told her the same thing, and it worked.

There's stuff out there about how blood pressure goes down after time in nature, and how the brain functions differently in nature (better) than in urban environments.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I had a friend who was experiencing some anxiety over a year ago and her doctor told her the same thing, and it worked.

There's stuff out there about how blood pressure goes down after time in nature, and how the brain functions differently in nature (better) than in urban environments.
giphy.gif

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

It’s true though. At least for me. I walk barefoot most of the year. Obviously in Winter I don’t outside. I actually feel constricted wearing socks and shoes for long periods of time. Walking through the yard (minus the land mines from the dog) gives me a ton of peace and calm.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It’s true though. At least for me. I walk barefoot most of the year. Obviously in Winter I don’t outside. I actually feel constricted wearing socks and shoes for long periods of time. Walking through the yard (minus the land mines from the dog) gives me a ton of peace and calm.

Yeah and there's all sorts of stuff about even looking at pictures of green foliage helping.

Reactions: bos

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Who's specifying it as safe? The employer? Because I'm sure most employers are going to argue and say their workplace is safe.
His employer told him that since he is working in areas shut off the general public it would be considered safe.

I think its a load of crap, but that is what he was told, and he is still working.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Just having a nice sunny day is doing wonders for me. The gloomy overcast crap along with being stuck at home made last week rough.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I tried to convince the wife that sex would cure it, but she never believes anything I say.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
His employer told him that since he is working in areas shut off the general public it would be considered safe.

I think its a load of crap, but that is what he was told, and he is still working.
Nothing is "safe". Working in an environment that isn't open to the public is a lot safer than working at a store though. A construction worker or office employee might have contact with the same 5-10 people every day. That's somewhat risky, but nothing like working at a grocery store or restaurant where you might be exposed to a hundred or more different people every day.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Welp, Governor Reynolds keeps saying they'll "continue to look at the data as well as the metrics when determining decisions". I mean how reactive can you get?? Over 50% of the United States has implemented non-essential businesses must shut down but she's relying on Iowans because I guess we have moral superiority?

Also, she received a question about Wells Fargo and how their workplace had people still coming to work and there happened to be a positive case in their workplace today. Her answer was that she hoped businesses would allow their employees to work from home.

On March 25, Minnesota mandated a shelter in place when their number of confirmed cases was at 287 with 1 death.. We have 424 confirmed cases and 6 deaths. She also came out and said she wants the entire state to be together on this and is not going to allow mayors to make decisions based on their own counties..

Last edited by a moderator:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I’m curious if they’ve been able to trace to large numbers in Linn county today.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Welp, Governor Reynolds keeps saying they'll "continue to look at the data as well as the metrics when determining decisions". I mean how reactive can you get?? Over 50% of the United States has implemented non-essential businesses must shut down but she's relying on Iowans because I guess we have moral superiority?

Also, she received a question about Wells Fargo and how their workplace had people still coming to work and there happened to be a positive case in their workplace today. Her answer was that she hoped businesses would allow their employees to work from home.

On March 25, Minnesota mandated a shelter in place when their number of confirmed cases was at 287 with 1 death.. We have 424 confirmed cases and 6 deaths. She also came out and said she wants the entire state to be together on this and is not going to allow mayors to make decisions based on their own counties..
Playing devil's advocate. If you shut down all non-essential businesses, you are likely forcing thousands more people into unemployment. It's not an easy call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.