Students have choice of P/F or grade this semester

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Just saw a short article on DMR that students can take their grades this semester or change to a P/F.

Wondering what the students were told about GPA, if they allowed late drops, can they take P/F on a required class, ......................

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just saw a short article on DMR that students can take their grades this semester or change to a P/F.

Wondering what the students were told about GPA, if they allowed late drops, can they take P/F on a required class, ......................

All the son was told so far is that he can go p/f and determine it by May 10th area or so. So it sounds like they are letting kids get to around finals and decide if they want a poor grade on their transcript. Not be told if that counts against their total or not though,

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Waiting for announcement on pro-rating housing and dining services for the 2-3 months they're not being used.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You know the answer to that

We'll see. They'll catch hell if they don't offer some of it back. Other state universities already have. Yes it would be a financial hit but ISU has a $1.1 billion endowment. Whether that's what it's there for or not, these aren't normal times. Would be a pretty cruel slap in the face to families of their students to not.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Here, from the provost a week ago:

https://www.provost.iastate.edu/aca...cted-by-the-transition-to-virtual-instruction

Nice job by the Register there.
Drop deadline was extended to something. There's a lot of flexibility here.
And line 2: This counts for required coursework. If it didn't, there's no point.
We are debating this for Kirkwood at the moment, trying to determine if we can follow suit of the regents.
Figuring out what will be accepted when students transfer, how accrediting groups will accept this, etc.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We are debating this for Kirkwood at the moment, trying to determine if we can follow suit of the regents.
Figuring out what will be accepted when students transfer, how accrediting groups will accept this, etc.

DMACC just signed on to it. I assume you guys will soon.

All this reminds me that, after reading the dates again in the announcement, I'll need to let students know specifically to do that through their advisors.
I would sign anything, but my contract ends May 15th, so my online access to anything will be cut right off.

Reactions: Entropy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We'll see. They'll catch hell if they don't offer some of it back. Other state universities already have. Yes it would be a financial hit but ISU has a $1.1 billion endowment. Whether that's what it's there for or not, these aren't normal times. Would be a pretty cruel slap in the face to families of their students to not.

I would be satisfied with the 7 weeks of board that my kid can't use. The room doesn't cost me much more but the food bill got fully transferred to me and ISU doesn't have to purchase anything, have to pay students any employment hours and I'm sure there are several other savings they will have. Even utilities in the dorms will drop hard. I went down monday and got the son's stuff, ghost town. Saw two other kids and 2-3 janitors and that was it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

What have the other universities done?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I would be satisfied with the 7 weeks of board that my kid can't use. The room doesn't cost me much more but the food bill got fully transferred to me and ISU doesn't have to purchase anything, have to pay students any employment hours and I'm sure there are several other savings they will have. Even utilities in the dorms will drop hard. I went down monday and got the son's stuff, ghost town. Saw two other kids and 2-3 janitors and that was it.

Agree. Not trying to be a shyster, but my daughter won't have stepped foot in a university cafeteria for 2-3 months, would seem pretty unfair to expect us to continue paying for those services.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
What have the other universities done?

UNL has offered 60% refund of room and board costs between March 15 and the end of the year.

Michigan State is offering $1,120 credit to students leaving campus by April 12.

Small private colleges and universities are going to be the ones that resist room/board refunds as much as possible given how cash strapped they already are.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Anybody hear how private landlords are handling it? I've seen a few piles of "belongings" by the side of the road that look like what we see during Turnover Week.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

GPA's have become a bit of a joke with grade inflation. Does anybody actually get C's and D's anymore? I already think of most A's and B's as not much more than indications of a passing grade. And C's and D's are often just charity for a prof not willing to flunk someone.

Show me a system of grading that is truly based on competencies, then you'll have my attention. Most grades are scores about how someone "took a course," not the actual competencies of the course. If a competent person who didn't take the course can't pass the final exam, then the prof is assessing the course, not the competencies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron