Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Kim says she is not ordering a shelter in place. So going by her usual MO, I suspect she'll announce a shelter in place on Sunday.

(Last Saturday she said she had no intention of closing schools, Sunday she closed them. On Monday she said she wasn't closing restaurants/bars, on Tuesday at 10:30, she closed them)

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
By testing everyone, you mean 1%. They've tested 1% of their population. 1%

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/covid-19-south-koreans-keep-calm-and-carry-on-testing

"South Korea has tested more than 250,000 people since the outbreak began, and has the capacity to test 15,000 people a day. It has conducted 3,692 tests per million people, compared with five per million in the US."

While you are correct...they have not "tested everyone" but they are testing at a MUCH higher rate than the US. People are stressed out and I think the fact that we can't even get a test if you wanted is what is freaking people out.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: isutrevman and jsb

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I've been listening to most of it. She dances around some stuff, but at the same time it's hard to give definitive answers on some of these questions/situations it's pretty fluid day to day.

She's holding daily press conferences.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Not really sure, it is kind of a moving target, only thing I can think of they have the ability to sell things clorox wipes and other anti virus cleaners, paper towels and yes TP.

Also people may need hardware if something happens in their homes

But just a guess on my part

Duct Tape is critical for all life applications. ;)

Also they sell food and pet food. At least Menards does. And bottled water.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/covid-19-south-koreans-keep-calm-and-carry-on-testing

"South Korea has tested more than 250,000 people since the outbreak began, and has the capacity to test 15,000 people a day. It has conducted 3,692 tests per million people, compared with five per million in the US."

While you are correct...they have not "tested everyone" but they are testing at a MUCH higher rate than the US.
They've still tested less than 1% of the population though. They are definitely not canvassing the country with tests. They are basically testing anyone who is sick and anyone who has been associated with them. Like you said though that's significantly more than the U.S. has been doing.

• Agree
Reactions: Tri4Cy

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Anyone know why Japan has had a relatively modest outbreak, despite being one of the first countries to see infections? They've had even less restrictions in place then the U.S. has, and seem to be testing fewer people. Their total infection and number of fatalities is really low. Are they just not reporting cases and fatalities?

This is a total guess, but I'd say it has something to do with their culture. That was one of the cleanest and most sincere places I've ever visited. It's common practice for them to wear masks avoid contact to prevent illnesses when they are not feeling well before the spread. I feel like they would take it very personally if they felt responsible for any kind of spread. God I miss Japan.

They've still tested less than 1% of the population though. They are definitely not canvassing the country with tests. They are basically testing anyone who is sick and anyone who has been associated with them. Like you said though that's significantly more than the U.S. has been doing.

This is true. They relied heavily on technology to track the spread vs testing...which I find very interesting (also alarming lol). Using GPS and credit card information to set up your digital trail then connecting to others who's data overlapped yours...that's pretty cool (as well as terrifying. Although I just finished Snowden's book...)

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Kim says she is not ordering a shelter in place. So going by her usual MO, I suspect she'll announce a shelter in place on Sunday.

(Last Saturday she said she had no intention of closing schools, Sunday she closed them. On Monday she said she wasn't closing restaurants/bars, on Tuesday at 10:30, she closed them)
You mean she’s making decisions based on info from state and national experts and in the states best interest at the time and isn’t afraid to reverse course or make a different decision if new info becomes available? That’s a good thing.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You mean she’s making decisions based on info from state and national experts and in the states best interest at the time and isn’t afraid to reverse course or make a different decision if new info becomes available? That’s a good thing.

I never said it was a bad thing. I do think it is weird that she denied that she was considering closing schools and then the next day did it and the same thing with restaurants.

But that's fine. I guess my point was more I wouldn't assume that we aren't going to have a Shelter in Place fairly soon.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Yeah, let's not pretend she's waiting until the world collapses before making a decision. This is unchartered territory for everyone. It's just as important to not be too knee-jerk as it is to be under cautious.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned last night's Coronavirus special on Iowa Public Braodcasting (TV.) I watched it and the main PBS Coronavirus show preceding it. That one was really helpful and intriguing to me, and I thought when Dr. Fauci was interviewed by Judi Woodruff he was bluntly honest. Especially when she asked him about the president calling it "the Chinese virus."

If you want to watch the Iowa show from last night, it's here http://www.iowapbs.org/iowapress/story/36067/coronavirus

This is the PBS NewsHour link https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/watch-live-confronting-coronavirus-a-pbs-newshour-special

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

While you are correct...they have not "tested everyone" but they are testing at a MUCH higher rate than the US. People are stressed out and I think the fact that we can't even get a test if you wanted is what is freaking people out.

Oh my bad, my number was off. It's actually 1/2 of 1% that they've tested.

Bill Dough

Mar 18, 2020
ffs
Source: The person who was tested.
lol well that clarifies it. Glad it wasn't a source like this

Story time:
- employee's wife got a call from her doctor that she's likely been exposed on Wednesday by a nurse that saw her about a week ago.
- employee's wife starts running fever Wednesday night/Thursday AM.
- Thursday our office is shut down and 25 folks told to leave.
- everyone is self quarantining in the meantime and working from home.
- employee and their wife have spent the last two days trying to get a test. Can't gain confirmation from the doctor of a positive test or where the nurse was tested, so they can get one too.
-employee calls today to let me know that he called the doctor again today and said the doctor found out the nurse faked the test and the results (she was sick, but no idea if it was a cold, flu, or corona).
-Nurse is now un-employed and hopefully won't get any benefits.

It never even occurred to me that people would fake this, but I guess I'm naive.

• Creative
Reactions: jdcyclone19

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I never said it was a bad thing. I do think it is weird that she denied that she was considering closing schools and then the next day did it and the same thing with restaurants.

But that's fine. I guess my point was more I wouldn't assume that we aren't going to have a Shelter in Place fairly soon.

Maybe she wasn't considering it at the time. Things changed by the hour this last week. It's still that way so anybody looking for definitive answers is going to be waiting a while.
I would definitely get ready for a stay at home order in the next week.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned last night's Coronavirus special on Iowa Public Braodcasting (TV.) I watched it and the main PBS Coronavirus show preceding it. That one was really helpful and intriguing to me, and I thought when Dr. Fauci was interviewed by Judi Woodruff he was bluntly honest. Especially when she asked him about the president calling it "the Chinese virus."

If you want to watch the Iowa show from last night, it's here http://www.iowapbs.org/iowapress/story/36067/coronavirus

This is the PBS NewsHour link https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/watch-live-confronting-coronavirus-a-pbs-newshour-special

I thought they were both good programs.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Not really sure, it is kind of a moving target, only thing I can think of they have the ability to sell things clorox wipes and other anti virus cleaners, paper towels and yes TP.

Also people may need hardware if something happens in their homes

But just a guess on my part
Also, cleaning appliances (dishwashers, washing machines), humidifiers, plumbing supplies (broken faucet, for example). Yeah, it's a moving target...but I could see them being open vs say, Kohl's or Penney's.

• Agree
Reactions: fsanford
Status
Not open for further replies.