2019 Hyundai Elantra?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'm seriously considering one of these as my next car by the end of the month, but before I pull the trigger I thought I would see if anyone on here owns or has driven one of these.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I've only driven it as a rental car, probably 10 or so times on work trips. I've found it steady, fairly quiet, and to have intuitive controls/interface panels. Handles okay in snow, but again it was a rental and probably original tires, not winter or better all seasons. Fun little car to drive. I'm leaning more toward AWD for my next personal purchase since I'm up in the mountains a lot but if I go FWD the Elantra will definitely be on my list.

And if you buy new, I think they still do a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. A lot of Lyft/Uber drivers around here drive them, too.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
My last 3 cars have been Hyundai Elantra's from 2004, 2013 and 2017. Love 'em! Not a single issue. Traded my 2004 in for the 2013 when my wife and I went to one car because the 2013 was bigger. Traded the 2013 because they gave me a deal I couldn't refuse to exchange at my dealership (Plus i had a ding on the 2013). Will drive my 2017 until I hit 75,000 miles or so and decide to trade again. Still comfortable, stylish enough and no issues. It's the best deal on the road for quality / price IMO.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My wife and I each have a 2013.

They have always served us well. Reliable, no real problems.

I was going to go with another one/maybe go slightly larger to a Sonata next.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and StClone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
My wife and I each have a 2013.

They have always served us well. Reliable, no real problems.

I was going to go with another one/maybe go slightly larger to a Sonata next.
Man, I miss my cell phone holders on the 2013! I don't talk and drive, but they are handy to keep your phone charging and have a place to put it. Really handy on the passenger side especially. They don't have that on the 2017 (at least). No need to up-spend on a Sonata since a 2019 Elantra will seem like an upgrade compared to a 2013.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
My wife had an Elantra until we got her a bigger car (Santa Fe). She's really liked both and had pretty much no complaints.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Man, I miss my cell phone holders on the 2013! I don't talk and drive, but they are handy to keep your phone charging and have a place to put it. Really handy on the passenger side especially. They don't have that on the 2017 (at least). No need to up-spend on a Sonata since a 2019 Elantra will seem like an upgrade compared to a 2013.

Recently had a engine replaced in a 13 Sonata with 120K on it due to oil consumption. They had some problems with the initial start up of the Alabama plant and settled a class action lawsuit extending the warranty to 120K. I had sudden excessive oil consumption( 1.5 to 2 qts/1000 miles after burning nothing the first 100K). After the oil consumption test there was no push back, they just said they would replace the engine. I was expecting a fight, so that really bought my loyalty. No other problems with the car. Our loaner was a 19 Elantra with 7 miles on it. Only thing I found to be an upgrade about it was the radio with the apple play and back up camera. Also had the lane assist if you like that. I did not and turned it off. I found acceleration to be lacking and gas mileage to be only marginally better than the 13 Sonata. I put a new radio in the Sonata since the Misses liked the apple play and camera so much and I basically have a new car for next to nothing.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Recently had a engine replaced in a 13 Sonata with 120K on it due to oil consumption. They had some problems with the initial start up of the Alabama plant and settled a class action lawsuit extending the warranty to 120K. I had sudden excessive oil consumption( 1.5 to 2 qts/1000 miles after burning nothing the first 100K). After the oil consumption test there was no push back, they just said they would replace the engine. I was expecting a fight, so that really bought my loyalty. No other problems with the car. Our loaner was a 19 Elantra with 7 miles on it. Only thing I found to be an upgrade about it was the radio with the apple play and back up camera. Also had the lane assist if you like that. I did not and turned it off. I found acceleration to be lacking and gas mileage to be only marginally better than the 13 Sonata. I put a new radio in the Sonata since the Misses liked the apple play and camera so much and I basically have a new car for next to nothing.
Oh yes! I forgot, I upgraded to the 2017 to get the back up camera, because of the previously mentioned ding (due to not having a camera) on the 2013 - along with the excellent trade in deal (win-win). I LOVE my backup camera, and the touchscreen radio is cool too. I still want my cell phone holders from the 2013 on each side back though! :)

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Check out Kia Forte also- Love the way my Forte handles vs the elantra which felt kind of stiff and less comfortable ride.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I have a 2013 Hyundai (Accent, not an Elantra) and I have no regrets about it. I love that it had the 5 year, 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. I only had one issue that required it but never anything else. This month makes 7 years I've had it and I will definitely consider sticking with Hyundai for my next purchase in a few years.

JoshTheCyclone

Feb 4, 2012
Fort Dodge
I've been eyeballing the new palisade, the wife had heard bad things about the ride of hyundai's SUVs from a coworker and squashed my dreams of the palisade haha Anyone have experience or heard about this "rough ride" with a hyundai?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Accent and Elantra are about the best mpg that aren't hybrid or electric. Elantra doing it with plenty of interior space.

My accent is getting pretty high mileage, 135k, and I still average 37mpg in horror show traffic.

Elantra is always my choice for rentals.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I've been eyeballing the new palisade, the wife had heard bad things about the ride of hyundai's SUVs from a coworker and squashed my dreams of the palisade haha Anyone have experience or heard about this "rough ride" with a hyundai?
We have put just over 10k miles on our Palisade since we picked it up Labor day weekend. It's a very smooth comfortable ride. bought it from Stew Hansens Hyundai back in Des Moines. we had also been looking at the Telluride, but we liked the looks and features of the Palisade more.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I'm seriously considering one of these as my next car by the end of the month, but before I pull the trigger I thought I would see if anyone on here owns or has driven one of these.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I would honestly like an Elantra GT hatch as a DD. We had a 12' Sonata with 117k on it before we bought our Palisade, that I would have loved to keep as my work beater if I had fit in it better (would be an Issue with the Elantra too probably). Basically any of the current crop of Hyundai/Kia vehicles would be great, I would say they are at or near the top for quality, fit and finish, and price for features/value.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015

Only speaking from a limited experience, and it's probably been 8-10 years ago, but a family member had a little Hyundai SUV and it was an uncomfortable ride. Another family member compared it to riding in a cardboard box (some exaggeration, obviously). I recall a decent amount of road noise on the highway also. I'd assume they've improved some...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The car magazines are in love with the Telluride/Palisade. Most choose the Kia because it's better looking but both are supposed to be excellent.

As far as the Elantra, I would seriously consider a year old model. Most everyone knows that Kia/Hyundai have stepped up big time when it comes to quality but I don't think their resale has caught up.......just did a little research, looks like their resale isn't too bad actually.