Walk on appreciation thread

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I believe his Fr year was my Sr year

Figure you would know this better than anyone on here. What are the outside scholarship rules for walk-ons. Iirc, they can’t receive academic scholarships from the university. Are they allowed even non university scholarships?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Figure you would know this better than anyone on here. What are the outside scholarship rules for walk-ons. Iirc, they can’t receive academic scholarships from the university. Are they allowed even non university scholarships?

I received a Marine Corp scholarship since my dad was a Marine (it was only $500). I believe academic scholarships are allowed if they aren't from the University (for example a civic club or something from your hometown).

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
Stupid observation but it always seems like our legacy players are always smaller than their dad. Just off that list Doxzon, Gibson, and Hester are several inches shorter than their Dad's were at Iowa State. They must all have married cheerleaders. Then when one of the kids is taller they end up going to North Carolina.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
One thing I noticed from this list is that 7 of 18 guys have the size to play on either line, having those bodies for practice at least is a huge thing.

James Tucker

Sep 9, 2019
Jack Tiarks 6-3 206 Fr. LB Treynor, Iowa (Treynor)
Second-team all-state as a senior; rushed for 665 yards and 10 TDs and posted 42 tackles, 4.0 TFL and an interception.

I was impressed by the amount of 2 time all state kids we got to walk on. You never know how these kids will develop when they get to concentrate on just football. Many will grow and change. I was talking to a Treynor teacher and she said Tiarks is very athletic and his dad is 6'8" so who knows what he will look like in 2 years!