Jamie's level of concern pertaining to Iowa

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Son is being nice and burning through college. Will be 2 credits short of Jr level this may after his second semester. Getting through in 3 years.

Was CJ probably promised a scholly after his first year or would get one if one opened up? Did he have other D1 offers?

I know CJ had offers but predominately non-P6. I think the deal was CJ would get the first available scholarship an it worked out.

Good to hear your boy is getting after it.....had a High School buddy that took like a decade to finish school :)

• Funny
Reactions: BCClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I know CJ had offers but predominately non-P6. I think the deal was CJ would get the first available scholarship an it worked out.

Good to hear your boy is getting after it.....had a High School buddy that took like a decade to finish school :)
tumblr_mpfsn8mE0C1qdeb3fo1_400.gif

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I’m assuming his dad cares. That a big check to write. It hurts when I write my sons check and that’s in state.

In two years I will have two in college, better start buying the pork and beans that I will be eating for a year.
.....why don't you make your son pay for his own school then? I'm 29, went to Iowa State, and I paid for my own schooling. I worked every summer during high school to save up money and my senior year I applied for scholarships like a mad man. Continued to work part time doing spray foam insulation while in school and key a lot of people don't know is there are still scholarships available for student who are already in school as well. Obviously my parents helped me out when they could, buying groceries etc

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Fans like him are completely clouded by their bias that they can't fathom their rival ever being better than them in everything. If it ever happens, they turn to excuses and denial, bring up the past and live there, or even completely stop watching their team if they're struggling all together.

Fans like that are everywhere. They're on here too. There are times when I'm like that, but I try hard not to be because it's not fun. I wouldn't be on another team's website either, trying to patronize everyone who disagrees with them. There are some Hawk fans that don't and are welcomed here, however the fans that do help create negative emotions towards all of them.

I also don't understand why Iowa State fans are over on other sites commenting. Reading the site is one thing but continuously going onto somewhere and commenting where you're the vocal minority just because someone is talking about your team in a bad way or you don't agree with their opinions shows fragility.

What difference does it make what site you are on that is dedicated Hawkeye sports? To pretend the in state forum is somehow Cyclone related is delusional, and you are reasonable enough to know that. Every single Hawkeye related sports news is reported here promptly by Twins or others, and then discussed and broken down. It is no different that talking Hawks on other sites.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
.....why don't you make your son pay for his own school then? I'm 29, went to Iowa State, and I paid for my own schooling. I worked every summer during high school to save up money and my senior year I applied for scholarships like a mad man. Continued to work part time doing spray foam insulation while in school and key a lot of people don't know is there are still scholarships available for student who are already in school as well. Obviously my parents helped me out when they could, buying groceries etc
I’m joking that I will be eating pork and beans. I paid for my schooling, parents helped some, but I realized how nice it would have been with tho loans so I’m paying for the kiddos. He got some decent scholarships and is graduating in 3 most likely. He is working also, has a good internship lined up for the summer already but I’m letting him keep that money.

I’m fortunate to be able to help the kids, while it will require a little sacrificing to pay for all three kids, my family has always worked to make the next generation better off than the last.

Reactions: SouthernCy

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
What difference does it make what site you are on that is dedicated Hawkeye sports? To pretend the in state forum is somehow Cyclone related is delusional, and you are reasonable enough to know that. Every single Hawkeye related sports news is reported here promptly by Twins or others, and then discussed and broken down. It is no different that talking Hawks on other sites.
Yeah, the fact that you don't recognize a difference is pretty obvious to us all...

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
I meant to respond to this yesterday, there is a lot going on with this post.

Yes because 4 highly recruited players are players with zero impact talent. Also, losing MJ and Prentiss Nixon is not going to be detrimental to this program. They are both easily replaceable and with the tough position Mike has had to play at the 4 this season, having those long athletic wing players are going to be very nice to have.

Blackwell had offers from Mississippi St, Okie St, FGCU and ISU. Is it for sure he is even making it to Ames?

Walker had offers from ISU, Georgia Tech, App St, Howard, Middle Tennessee St, Mississippi St and Wake.

Explain to me how those 2 guys are considered "highly recruited".

Losing Tyrese Is going to hurt.. no doubt, but the overall addition of those guys, plus the improvement of others will allow this team to have a higher ceiling than this year. It's absolutely not unrealistic at all for me to suggest that next year we will be better. You're being incredibly unreasonable thinking that highly recruited freshman can't come in and make an impact.

Your highest ranked recruit isnt going to start most likely and your next highest ranked recruit may not even make it to campus.

Also, Prohm has done an okay job getting transfers to come play here. Shayok, Bolton, Donavon Jackson just to name a few.

My post said grad transfer which he has sucked with. This team needs help right away, not some sit outs.

If I were you I'd enjoy the rest of this year and also next year, because the recruits Iowa has coming in next year are looking extremely rough. Sub 50 recruiting class coming in 2020 for the Hawks. It doesn't look great but keep taking shots at Iowa State if it really makes you feel better about yourself.

Not going to disagree with you on our 2020 class. Luckily, they wont be needed to provide much their first year on the squad. You, on the other hand, are counting on true freshmen and the improvement of bad players to make up for losing a lottery pick.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I meant to respond to this yesterday, there is a lot going on with this post.

Blackwell had offers from Mississippi St, Okie St, FGCU and ISU. Is it for sure he is even making it to Ames?

Walker had offers from ISU, Georgia Tech, App St, Howard, Middle Tennessee St, Mississippi St and Wake.

Explain to me how those 2 guys are considered "highly recruited".

Your highest ranked recruit isnt going to start most likely and your next highest ranked recruit may not even make it to campus.

My post said grad transfer which he has sucked with. This team needs help right away, not some sit outs.

Not going to disagree with you on our 2020 class. Luckily, they wont be needed to provide much their first year on the squad. You, on the other hand, are counting on true freshmen and the improvement of bad players to make up for losing a lottery pick.
You're also forgetting Darlinstone Dubar, the 6'6" wing with offers from Auburn, K-State, Marquette, Maryland, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, VCU, and Wichita State.

Also, Blackwell was offered by Florida and Xavier Foster not starting next year doesn't mean he isn't going to help out a ton and be an impact.

Finally, Bolton is not a bad player, Solo is not a bad player, Conditt is not a bad player. Jackson and Grill are both true freshman that will get better. They may not be all world next year but to assume they're not going to get better at all is asinine.

It's fine though. Keep thinking we're going to be terrible, that's fine by me. Neither me, nor any other Iowa State fan need your blessing or care about your opinions towards Iowa State basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If this were Reddit, or some other site that is dedicated to multiple fan bases, it would totally make sense what you're saying, but this is Cyclonefanatic. It's not CyHawkfanatic and HawkeyeReport isn't CyHawkReport.

I would talk about Iowa with Iowa State fans for a general discussion about them, not to get into long conversations / arguments in which no side changes their opinion.

That's just my opinion on everything, I'm sure there are even Iowa State fans that disagree with me and like going to Hawkeye sights to start debates.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
You're also forgetting Darlinstone Dubar, the 6'6" wing with offers from Auburn, K-State, Marquette, Maryland, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, VCU, and Wichita State.

Also, Blackwell was offered by Florida and Xavier Foster not starting next year doesn't mean he isn't going to help out a ton and be an impact.

Finally, Bolton is not a bad player, Solo is not a bad player, Conditt is not a bad player. Jackson and Grill are both true freshman that will get better. They may not be all world next year but to assume they're not going to get better at all is asinine.

It's fine though. Keep thinking we're going to be terrible, that's fine by me. Neither me, nor any other Iowa State fan need your blessing or care about your opinions towards Iowa State basketball.

You said the class had 4 highly recruited players, it didnt.

Honest question, can any of those guys shoot? I know Foster likes to jack threes but dont think he is at 40%.

And best guess, with the roster the way it is now and assume all 4 of those freshmen make it to campus and Haliburton goes pro, who is your starting 5 next season?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Honest question, can any of those guys shoot? I know Foster likes to jack threes but dont think he is at 40%.

And best guess, with the roster the way it is now and assume all 4 of those freshmen make it to campus and Haliburton goes pro, who is your starting 5 next season?
Walker and Dubar are both scorers and can shoot pretty well. Dubar has been scouted as an all around scorer. Blackwell has shown some ability in his highlights to shoot the 3 but is mainly a slasher and a great rebounder who plays above the rim. Foster is shooting it at like 37% and I believe has shot around that his entire High School career, which for a 7 footer is good.

I apologize for saying 4 were highly recruited. 3 were highly recruited and the one that wasn't would still have more P-5 offers than any one of the five 2020 recruits Iowa is bringing in.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
Walker and Dubar are both scorers and can shoot pretty well. Dubar has been scouted as an all around scorer. Blackwell has shown some ability in his highlights to shoot the 3 but is mainly a slasher and a great rebounder who plays above the rim. Foster is shooting it at like 37% and I believe has shot around that his entire High School career, which for a 7 footer is good.

I apologize for saying 4 were highly recruited. 3 were highly recruited and the one that wasn't would still have more P-5 offers than any one of the five 2020 recruits Iowa is bringing in.

What are their percentages from 3?

Why are people so excited about this class? There is only 1 top 150 kid and its a common thought that he wont make much of an impact in year 1.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Why are people so excited about this class? There is only 1 top 150 kid and its a common thought that he wont make much of an impact in year 1.
Well Blackwell is actually top 150 on 247, coming in at 130 and he's 91 on ESPN. Walker and Dubar are both talked about being underrated. Dubar has a lot of high level offers so it seems as if coaches are seeing something these websites are not.

As far as Foster goes, he's a top 75 player in the nation, top 10 at his position. He was offered by two of the best current teams in the nation (Baylor and KU). He will be better than both Conditt and Solo, but because those two will be more polished and have experience, they will most likely see more minutes right away. With the talent Xavier has, he could definitely make his way into the starting lineup if he produces.

The class is rated top-25, that is why people are excited about it. The people that follow recruiting have seen their highlights from both high school and AAU. For me, I see stuff in all of these players that we lost from last years team which is length and athleticism.

Like I said, I'm not predicting us next year to be unbelievable, but we should be better overall.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
Well Blackwell is actually top 150 on 247, coming in at 130 and he's 91 on ESPN. Walker and Dubar are both talked about being underrated. Dubar has a lot of high level offers so it seems as if coaches are seeing something these websites are not.

As far as Foster goes, he's a top 75 player in the nation, top 10 at his position. He was offered by two of the best current teams in the nation (Baylor and KU). He will be better than both Conditt and Solo, but because those two will be more polished and have experience, they will most likely see more minutes right away. With the talent Xavier has, he could definitely make his way into the starting lineup if he produces.

The class is rated top-25, that is why people are excited about it. The people that follow recruiting have seen their highlights from both high school and AAU. For me, I see stuff in all of these players that we lost from last years team which is length and athleticism.

Like I said, I'm not predicting us next year to be unbelievable, but we should be better overall.

Its rated top 25 because ISU has more commits than a lot of other teams but you knew that.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019

And you never gave me your starting 5 for next year if all your recruits make it to campus and Haliburton goes pro.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

40% is a pretty high bar. There are only 42 D1 players on the NCAA's 3pt% list this year who are hitting at 40% or better. Any player who is hitting .333 or better from 3 is getting as many points as shooting 50% from 2.

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

High school stats are pretty meaningless. At one point Foster was shooting over 40% from 3 this year (still could be, I don't know just know it was referenced) but I don't expect him to come in and be some great shooter

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
  • Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And you never gave me your starting 5 for next year if all your recruits make it to campus and Haliburton goes pro.
I have no idea what our starting 5 will be next year. Conditt and Bolton seem to be set starters. After that I have no idea but there will be options. We could go big or "small" with Dubar/Blackwell at the 4. Like I said, next year's roster will be entirely different and the matchups / lineups will all be different because of that.

However, Foster, Blackwell, and Dubar all look like they have the body and capabilities to come in and play right away.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron