*** Official Oklahoma State Vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
It's time to take Nixon out of the starting line up. He has the yips BADLY. He looked way too cautious dribbling the ball tonight. He made some terrible passes that were stated as a turnover by someone else.

I feel for the kid. His confidence is super low. But he has become a hindrance on the offense and doesn't add as much as we think on defense (I'd much rather have good offense than good defense). Whenever he was on the floor, the whole team struggled.

He is not a P5 level starter. I’d rather just play Jackson since he is a freshman. But Jackson is playing a lot already so it’s not like we have a bunch of better options. Seemed like Grill got more time last night but maybe that’s cause Lewis was out.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You don't need Azubuike. Go watch the kind of easy looks their offense got Landen Freaking Lucas.
Is there really any doubt Azubuike wouldn’t be nearly the player here? Gunner would just be rambling about how he’s a limited big man out of place in today’s game.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Didn't we just have a big score 27 points? Why are we complaining about not getting them looks?
In fairness, that was less about 'getting him good looks' and more of him 'imposing his will upon inferior-sized players repeatedly and with no regard for human life'.

But, still. Our posts have roles in the offense, and they do get their fair share of activity most games.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Nice win by the guys last nite. Everything looks better when you hit some shots. Did get a little worried with about 5 minutes(?) left when we came down and took a couple of quick 3's that didn't drop. Overall hopefully it's something for the guys to build on.

Reactions: Cyfanisu

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
As mediocre as things seem to look under Prohm, Ok St has to feel worse.

They returned nearly everything you need to compete for a tournament berth.
OSU doesn't look horrible - I saw their game against Baylor and played them tough. Can't argue their 0-6 conference record - I think Likely missed a few games which set them back. Probably half our turnovers were because of their defense but I am not inspired by our guards ball handling abilities. Ok OSU I tried to find reasons you're not the worst in the conference but i got nothing.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
Nice win by the guys last nite. Everything looks better when you hit some shots. Did get a little worried with about 5 minutes(?) left when we came down and took a couple of quick 3's that didn't drop. Overall hopefully it's something for the guys to build on.
Agreed, it was the best game played in a long while.

Their difficulty in handling the press had me worried at the end and made me wonder how they will respond when they have to play WVU.

Overall, good game and special kudos to Solo.

Reactions: Cyfanisu and NWICY

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Boynton won't be there much longer I'd have to imagine.

He is smart. He has insurance policy. He hired the brother of 2nd rank recruit in next years class. I am guessing fans will tolerate him for another year to see a one and one potential lottery pick play for a season.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We really need an assistant coach who knows how to best coach our bigs. Prohm really runs no plays for them and they just spend the majority of the game setting screens for our guard-oriented offense. Under a different coach who knows how to utilize bigs (like Scott Drew, for example) Young and Conditt would be the type of players we hate to play against.
I'm sure this will be an unpopular take, but GC is way overhyped on this board and among the fan base. He's good, don't get me wrong But he's not there yet. Some people act like he's the second coming of Kelvin Cato and should be treated as such. At this stage of his development, I'd say he's not even as good as Lard. And he pouts as much as Cam liked to, too. I don't think it's too hot of a take that since Big 12 play started, he has been our worst big.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
It’s funny the reaction you get when you point out the OSU is the worst team in the Big 12 and haven’t one a single conf game.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My overall takeaways from last night:

Grill looked good, best I've seen him play all season (didn't watch hardly any games pre-January besides SH and Iowa in Hilton)
I think he'll be solid next year with potential to be good his JR and great SR seasons. Still need to see him hit some shots

Zion looked over matched, sadly, against the worst team in the conference. The leash may get shorter for him. That moment where he got iso'd out at the top of the key and got stripped easily was not encouraging. I was actually a little more pissed off at his teammates for abandoning him that far away from the hoop with a defender in his face like that.

Solo was a stud (obvi) probably a little too much to ask, but can we get more of that please, and consistently?

You continue to take the medium amount of bad with the decent amount of good with Bolton. He made a bunch of 3's last night which was refreshing

Nixon sat a lot in the 2nd half, which you hate to kick a guy when he's down, but it was a net positive.

Mike and George, sorry boys, but when you got it you got it, when you don't, you REALLY don't. Good thing Solo stepped up

Prohm - hire somebody to help with wardrobe ASAP. Decent job overall coaching, though it's hard to tell how skewed it might be playing a team like OSU at home.

Help Support Us

Become a patron