NFL: ***Official Playoffs Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Wow. That's a big one.

Starting to see a trend of guys retiring while still in their prime. Colts LT Anthony Castonzo, who just had probably the best season of his career and is about to cash in as a free agent, is thinking about retiring. He's 31.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Starting to see a trend of guys retiring while still in their prime. Colts LT Anthony Castonzo, who just had probably the best season of his career and is about to cash in as a free agent, is thinking about retiring. He's 31.
Yeah, it's something that has to scare the league, but I hardly blame the players. Anyone who gets multiple injuries has to at least consider it. There are too many stories of past players just wrecking their bodies. If you can come into the league, secure that 2nd, lucrative contract, then get out when you're still relatively young, that's probably not a bad plan.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78 and jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah, it's something that has to scare the league, but I hardly blame the players. Anyone who gets multiple injuries has to at least consider it. There are too many stories of past players just wrecking their bodies. If you can come into the league, secure that 2nd, lucrative contract, then get out when you're still relatively young, that's probably not a bad plan.

Yeah. For the players I think it's just a question of earnings and how much is enough. If you're a good player and you have a good agent who can secure you a decent amount of guaranteed money on that second contract then it make sense to walk away. I think more players are starting to wrap their heads around the idea that they have a lot of life ahead of them after football and it's better to walk away early with their health relatively still intact. I doubt it scares the league all that much. You could make the case that it's a win for them because instead of expensive vets you're stocking your lineup with cheaper, younger players. Maybe the quality of the game suffers a little, but you can just offset that by adjusting the rules to encourage more offense and scoring. Problem solved.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
For so many players, the void in their lives after playing professional sports just can't be filled. I've read about ex-players who expressed regret about retiring (early or otherwise), saying they never dreamed how much they would miss it.

But the NFL guys - especially those who have read about CTE and/or watched the movie - must be getting a little scared.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah. For the players I think it's just a question of earnings and how much is enough. If you're a good player and you have a good agent who can secure you a decent amount of guaranteed money on that second contract then it make sense to walk away. I think more players are starting to wrap their heads around the idea that they have a lot of life ahead of them after football and it's better to walk away early with their health relatively still intact. I doubt it scares the league all that much. You could make the case that it's a win for them because instead of expensive vets you're stocking your lineup with cheaper, younger players. Maybe the quality of the game suffers a little, but you can just offset that by adjusting the rules to encourage more offense and scoring. Problem solved.
I guarantee you that losing guys like Kuechly, Luck, Calvin Johnson, and Gronk is a big deal to the league office. These are bankable stars that left early. Yes, they had big salaries, but they made a lot of money for the teams as well. It's not that they can't be replaced, but brands take time and money to develop. And there's an expected ROI on that.

One or two guys isn't a big deal, but it has to be alarming that it's starting to become more frequent.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I guarantee you that losing guys like Kuechly, Luck, Calvin Johnson, and Gronk is a big deal to the league office. These are bankable stars that left early. Yes, they had big salaries, but they made a lot of money for the teams as well. It's not that they can't be replaced, but brands take time and money to develop. And there's an expected ROI on that.

One or two guys isn't a big deal, but it has to be alarming that it's starting to become more frequent.

I don't know. The NFL has always put the emphasis on marketing the team logo and not the player with the exception of a couple guys who serve as the unofficial face of the league (usually a QB). They couldn't survive if they didn't given how often players come and go. I just don't think guys leaving the game early is that big a deal to them as long as the talent pipeline isn't drying up on the other side. Maybe individual teams feel the pinch a little more. They do rely on their individual stars to sell their season tickets. If a face of the franchise kind of player unexpectedly calls it quits selling those boxes and PSLs gets a lot more challenging.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: CyArob