WBB: ISU vs North Alabama

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Much more enjoyable game than the Appalachian State type games it seemed like we used to always play during winter break.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So I am confused about the Wise migraine situation. How does migraines keep someone out this long? I used to get really bad migraines (I assume as side effects from concussions) and they would wipe me out for a day but not enough to hinder me useless for a month or so. I also know a girl who gets them really bad (she goes to the Dr. regularly for them) but they don't sideline her from her sport activity for weeks at a time.

I just find the whole situation odd.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I know she had some defensive issues at times, but overall I thought Rae had a great game.

We cannot survive the conference running a six player rotation. Even going seven once Wise is back seems like a bad idea.

• Agree
Reactions: BenEClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, that was entertaining. Glad I tuned in, almost forgot it was on, it was a fun watch. Not sure we'll see the benefit of that kinda foul calling the rest of the season but it was still fun. Probably more important that Scott and Johnson were scoring and even Camber made some for the 2nd straight game. Dumb turnovers are a concern, especially the "must pass to post even if no chance" ones.

Going to be REALLY interesting to see how we do come Big 12 play. We only played six players* tonight against a low mid-major** and not sure we can get away with that in Big 12 play.

* Okay, technically 7 if you count Washington's one minute and I don't.

** Although gotta give North Bama credit for looking a lot better than an RPI 250 team.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So I am confused about the Wise migraine situation. How does migraines keep someone out this long? I used to get really bad migraines (I assume as side effects from concussions) and they would wipe me out for a day but not enough to hinder me useless for a month or so. I also know a girl who gets them really bad (she goes to the Dr. regularly for them) but they don't sideline her from her sport activity for weeks at a time.

Could be complicated by non-headache symptoms, like dizziness, vertigo, nausea or disrupted vision. Might also be "okay" until she does something like sport activities. Wide range of stuff out there beyond the blinding headache stuff people generally associate with migraines.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Fun game tonight glad we hit our free throws. I thought Scott looked good tonight she looked like she was moving with out being sore but that just is my opinion. A healthy Scott would help us a lot going into the B12. Nice to see AD hit some shots.

Had no idea we were actually playing a decent team tonight, it was fun to end the non con against a respectable team instead of a 30 pt blow out. Well onto the conference and however it plays out.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019

It's likely more serious than normal migraines and that's just the term that is being used. They aren't keeping her out on purpose and she's not holding out because she doesn't want to play.

Fennelly said a few weeks ago this is a matter of making sure her health is good long term referring to her life post-Iowa State basketball. Says to me that it's a lot more serious than anyone could have thought.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
I'm at a game in person for the first time in a couple seasons.

North Alabama is not a pushover. 9-2, and they played Iowa close at CHA.

Mred - glad you could make it! i was impressed with NA, fun team to watch, quick guards that we had a hard time controlling when they drove to the basket.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Mred - glad you could make it! i was impressed with NA, fun team to watch, quick guards that we had a hard time controlling when they drove to the basket.
It was mentioned during the broadcast the Wallen girls are triplets. All three signed with UNA after starting for five years in high school and winning several state championships. They chose UNA in part because they couldcontinue to play together and because they were promised their high school numbers 1, 2, 3. They are numbered by order of birth.

Emma is the oldest, and the best shooter. Ivy is the youngest and the pure point guard. Ella is the one we didn't see. Their HS coach described her as the leader of the pack. She apparently was injured as a freshman, and disappeared from the roster their junior season. From what i found she is now married and has a son.

• Informative
Reactions: C.John and gizzsdad