It's now illegal to sell tobacco products to people under 21

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I believe my dad was in the same boat when they raised the drinking age from 18 to 21. IIRC they were grandfathered in, so there were 19 yo who could drink even tho the law was 21. Of course, it was all good after 3 years....

It went from 19 to 21. I made the cut off because a bunch of state legislators got busted at a strip bar in Mingo causing basically nothing getting accomplished the entire session and the age increase was pushed back a year.

I turned 19 in October of 85. The raise to 21 kicked in July 1 of 86 I believe.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
The reason the legal drinking age is 21 is because that's when doctors agree our brains are fully developed. Does being in the military develop your brain more?

If what you're trying to develop is discipline and gain a greater sense of service over self then yes. Your results may vary.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
Keep it at 18. The world is overpopulated as it is. May as well let the dummies kill themselves with smoke if they want to.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Keep it at 18. The world is overpopulated as it is. May as well let the dummies kill themselves with smoke if they want to.
The issue is it's a slow killer and non-smokers end up subsidizing their healthcare.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This country is going to hell. What’s next? Am I gonna need a drivers license to use my toaster?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't think there's any doubt that alcohol addiction is worse for you than nicotine addiction, the difference is the relative addictiveness of the substances. I'd imagine among alcohol users, maybe 20% develop a physical dependence. Among tobacco users it's probably around 90% that develop a physical dependence.

I don't have any stats here, but I'd imagine the amount of people who start drinking and end up drinking all day every day to function is far less than the amount of people who start smoking and have a 2 pack/day habit somewhere along the line.

I felt the same way as this up til about 5 years ago. Went with my son on an 8th grad DC trip and I was amazed how many of the parents could not go without drinking during the trip. It was a 24 hr bus ride and first thing that over 1/2 the parents did after getting off the bus was find a grocery or liquor store. These moms/dads were drinking hard also. Every night even when they were told to stop so the kids wouldn’t see it so much.

I started noticing these people when I was in convenience stores or the grocery store at the same time. Always had a case or handle in their cart at checkout.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I believe my dad was in the same boat when they raised the drinking age from 18 to 21. IIRC they were grandfathered in, so there were 19 yo who could drink even tho the law was 21. Of course, it was all good after 3 years....

I was legal to drink turning 18 in Feb of 1978. In June of 78 they raised legal age to 19. Sometime in 79 they raised it to 21. So I had highschool classmates that weren't legal for almost 4 years after I was.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I'm not really sure what I feel is right one way or the other. But what I do say is we need to decide what is an adult and what isnt. Either you are an adult at 18 or you are an adult at 21 or some other age. Which my feeling if they made it a standard age for all things, it would need to be something in the middle, maybe 20?
At some point telling men they are adults and can be drafted or join and die for their country but can't drink a beer or have a smoke, seems wrong.
I have no problem changing it one way or the other, but I think we need to make a consistent age and make all things involving adulthood that age.

In the same respect, with equality, at what point do women have to start registering with selective service like men do? I can see arguments both ways, and myself, being a man, but also having both as children it is an interesting debate.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Smoking doesn't have any value to society, but we should probably spend at least part of the energy we've spent stigmatizing smoking as a culture on doing the same for poor diet choices and obesity. There are some forces out there on all points of the political spectrum enabling or even celebrating horrific food choices that are killing us and costing tax payers money. Bloomberg gets made fun of for his war on huge sodas, but our society would likely benefit from shaming the 64oz-soda-for-breakfast the way smokers became shamed over time.

You’d get called a fat shamer for doing that.

• Agree
Reactions: ClonesFTW

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The reason the legal drinking age is 21 is because that's when doctors agree our brains are fully developed. Does being in the military develop your brain more?

actually doctors now think our brains aren’t fully developed until 25.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron