Wednesday OT - The Worst Is Not

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I was just reading that Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is the #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, 25 years after it was released (LINK). Which, in turn, made me think about how truly dreadful the song is and how people collectively have awful taste.

What is your opinion for the absolute worst Christmas/holiday song? Extra points for posting a link. I think my actual vote may be "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon. "Let's stop all the fight" may be the worst lyrics he's ever written (and I'm not a huge fan of his solo stuff, especially "Imagine"). Please prove me wrong:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I was just reading that Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is the #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, 25 years after it was released (LINK). Which, in turn, made me think about how truly dreadful the song is and how people collectively have awful taste.

What is your opinion for the absolute worst Christmas/holiday song? Extra points for posting a link. I think my actual vote may be "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon. "Let's stop all the fight" may be the worst lyrics he's ever written (and I'm not a huge fan of his solo stuff, especially "Imagine"). Please prove me wrong:

I would take Happy Christmas over McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime.

And I had just posted on this week's OTN how I thought Lennon's throwaway line in When I Get Home was his weakest lyric ever.

"I'm gonna love her 'til the cows come home."

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I would take Happy Christmas over McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime.

And I had just posted on this week's OTN how I thought Lennon's throwaway line in When I Get Home was his weakest lyric ever.

"I'm gonna love her 'til the cows come home."

I'm so sorry, I hadn't even seen the OTN yet! I hope this isn't an accidental ripoff.

It is disappointing that he could just phone it in when he was alternately so brilliant.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Imagine (sorry, couldn't think of a better word!) Lennon, one of the most outspoken atheists of his time, singing about Christians' most important holiday. Ironic......

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

This saddens me. What's so bad about it?

I saw a headline a few weeks ago about how the Brits voted it most annoying Christmas song or something. Damn Redcoats.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
This thread is so apropos.....last night the vixen and I were preparing supper and she yelled at Alexa to play Christmas music. The first song played was some sort of pop music/Christmas mishmash about how "I don't want to be alone at Christmastime".....we skipped that one immediately, only to be presented with Gene Autry's "Here Comes Santa Claus".

We decided to put in a Mannheim Steamroller CD instead. :rolleyes:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'm so sorry, I hadn't even seen the OTN yet! I hope this isn't an accidental ripoff.

It is disappointing that he could just phone it in when he was alternately so brilliant.

Well it was 1964. World tour, UK tour, 2 Albums, a couple dozen TV appearances. A multi-week home-stand Christmas show in London. And a feature length movie. Plus 3 or 4 singles. So I can certainly understand it in this case.

Edit: And he wrote a book.

Reactions: cyclones500

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This saddens me. What's so bad about it?

I saw a headline a few weeks ago about how the Brits voted it most annoying Christmas song or something. Damn Redcoats.

I think oversaturation has not been kind to it. I'd guess that's why Brits feel similarly - I'm going to guess they now hate every song featured in "Love Actually," as I believe they were all shoved down their throats after it came out.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

giphy.gif

Okay Angie, you are clearly in a bad space today, but "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is an amazing seasonal ditty, and Mariah Carey is the best-selling female artist of the US Nielsen SoundScan era. How can we help you today?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I think oversaturation has not been kind to it. I'd guess that's why Brits feel similarly - I'm going to guess they now hate every song featured in "Love Actually," as I believe they were all shoved down their throats after it came out.

I suppose if I listened to the radio more, oversaturation might be an issue for me too. I'm more of a podcast/audio book guy.

As it is, that is probably one of my favorite holiday songs, maybe the favorite.

Reactions: Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I like "Happy XMas (War is Over)" despite it containing annoying elements when taken individually -- simplistic "If we end war, our problems are solved!" and a children's choir. Somehow as a whole it works for me. Maybe it's just enough mix of sincerity and naivete to stir holiday spirit. Can't really pinpoint it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron