The magic is gone

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
That's awful. It really does feel like literally anyone can walk into Hilton and win. Top tier programs don't let that happen

Kentucky lost at home to Evansville, Duke lost at home to Stephen F Austin
This year

Those places have historic venues, hall of fame coaches and 5 star players.

That is not to defend Prohm's coaching tonight, but teams do get beat at home.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's awful. It really does feel like literally anyone can walk into Hilton and win. Top tier programs don't let that happen

Oddly it feels like it's flipped in football.

I feel like ISU can play most teams in Jack Trice and at least have a chance.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Fred can stay away from Ames. Prohm wants to be here, he just needs to reflect on himself as a coach and identify his weaknesses. He reminds me of a young Scott Drew. The problem is Scott Drew has improved himself greatly as a coach compared to when he entered the league. Prohm did well in Murray because he could get talent that was NBA caliber in the OVC. The problem here is other teams have better talent than us and he's not going to out coach them. I truly think he's in over his head here unless he makes staff changes and stops liking offensive sets on Twitter.
Scott Drew actually runs plays and makes in-game adjustments. You’d think after 5 years he’d improve. Ask Iowa fans who have been hoping for Fran to improve in the 10+ years he’s been there how much he’s improved.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Fred can stay away from Ames. Prohm wants to be here, he just needs to reflect on himself as a coach and identify his weaknesses. He reminds me of a young Scott Drew. The problem is Scott Drew has improved himself greatly as a coach compared to when he entered the league. Prohm did well in Murray because he could get talent that was NBA caliber in the OVC. The problem here is other teams have better talent than us and he's not going to out coach them. I truly think he's in over his head here unless he makes staff changes and stops liking offensive sets on Twitter.
This. It feels like a lot of his game plans rely on out talenting other teams. That works at Murray State when you have 1 NBA against a bunch of players who aren't even good enough to go to Europe. In the Big 12, well, doesn't work so much

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

He had plenty of talent last year. Shayock, THT, Wigginton, and Haliburton are all NBA or borderline NBA level talent. Better than the majority of other Big 12 teams

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Scott Drew actually runs plays and makes in-game adjustments. You’d think after 5 years he’d improve. Ask Iowa fans who have been hoping for Fran to improve in the 10+ years he’s been there how much he’s improved.
I'd like to think Prohm is intelligent enough to figure it out, but maybe not. I want a coach that puts people in the right positions to succeed. Prohm does not do that. He runs an offense for 4 guards when he has 2 posts out there. I understand egos are insane at this level, but if you want to be successful you have to learn to change. Ed Orgeron is a prime example of that.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I'd like to think Prohm is intelligent enough to figure it out, but maybe not. I want a coach that puts people in the right positions to succeed. Prohm does not do that. He runs an offense for 4 guards when he has 2 posts out there. I understand egos are insane at this level, but if you want to be successful you have to learn to change. Ed Orgeron is a prime example of that.
Agreed with your Ed Orgeron point. I think Iowa State is his Ole Miss.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This. It feels like a lot of his game plans rely on out talenting other teams. That works at Murray State when you have 1 NBA against a bunch of players who aren't even good enough to go to Europe. In the Big 12, well, doesn't work so much

Seems to me that a trend for games the last 4 seasons---when things are good, they're very good, but if it's not going well, it just gets worse as the game goes on with a couple of exceptions.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Did isu have a Duke/Kentucky roster last year?
Let's not be dumb here. We had 3 guys end up in the NBA from last years team and one more who could have been there if he wanted to. We still lost to TCU at home anyways.

Remember the Fred teams that defended the home court without Kentucky or Duke rosters? You don't need to be them to win at home. 5 home loses to P5 teams in the last 1.25 seasons is bad. Stop making excuses for failure