Anamosa youth wrestler espy?

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012

A friend of mine showed me this from a youth wrestling match.

Wow.

I believe Austin Scranton the boy who wrestles in blue is not only a youth state champion but also national champion. He has only lost a handful of times in his life. He takes the L here.

There is a lot of negativity in the world. This shows there is humanity.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

A friend of mine showed me this from a youth wrestling match.

Wow.

I believe Austin Scranton the boy who wrestles in blue is not only a youth state champion but also national champion. He has only lost a handful of times in his life. He takes the L here.

There is a lot of negativity in the world. This shows there is humanity.

Thanks for sharing - brought tears to my eyes!!

I coach boys tennis and, a couple years ago, there was a tennis player from a rival team who had physical and intellectual disabilities. One of our seniors enthusiastically volunteered to challenge that player and took the loss against him in epic fashion. I was amazed at how competitive he made the match by not only scoring some points, but also making the points he lost look genuine (and a few of the lost points were definitely legitimate). It was the best match of the entire afternoon! Cases like these not only speak volumes about the character and perseverance of the person with disability, but also to the character of the teen who understands that sports are about more than just the wins and losses!

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
Atlantic had a boy with similar disabilities that was a manager for the football team throughout high school. Last game his senior year this year they suited him up. He got in at the end of the game to take a knee and seal the win with the crowd chanting his name. It was a pretty cool moment for him.

I was glad it was a legitimate play too (even though it was to just take a knee). I get what teams are trying to do when they have a disabled kid run down the field for a touchdown while the defense just stands there, but there is something about that that just seams wrong to me. The wrestler in this video did a great job of "competing" instead of just laying down.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I saw that last week on Facebook - I'm not generally emotional, but it 100% made me cry. It was so kind and sweet.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
This is awesome.

Somewhat funny story on a related/unrelated note: in middle school baseball we were up big and the other team put a kid with a disability of some sort on the mound. He apparently told our coach that the kid couldn't throw a strike and to just swing at everything and get the kid a couple strikeouts. I don't know where I was or what happened, but I was up that inning and didn't ever hear what we were supposed to do. Kid lobs it right down the middle and I think I was a couple feet away from hitting a homerun. Coach took me out and chewed my ass but quickly realized I had never heard the plan. He had me apologize to the other coach and kid after the game but they both thought it was hilarious. I, on the other hand, felt like a total ass hole

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron