Iowa/Iowa St.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sprinkle in our current struggles and inconsistencies and I don't see how any ISU fan can't be worried about this game.

They're just really annoying. I'd be less worried about results had ISU pulled off one more game at Atlantis and won at Oregon State vs. tourney prospects.

Probably moot as I don't think ISU's conference season will go very well.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
It saddens me to say it'll be tough for Iowa State knowing the glaring deficiencies that Iowa has. As in I can't believe I'm worried they might lose to Iowa at home. But, we have plenty of our own glaring deficiencies this year.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: aobie and GT25Ump

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is the Fran McCafferey way.

Any 'moves' they have is shoving their way to the basket. Mini-Fran does this, Bobo does this, and I saw some clips from Garza's 'offensive explosion' of him doing it. If no charge, it should have been a travel.

Not surprised that they're taught to do this by their thug coach.

I think ISU drops this game. Iowa's players have dreamt of winning in Hilton all their lives, and beating a marginal ISU team fits the bill.

That's how Fran's teams have always played. Remember Aaron White. Mr. Drive and Flail your arms in the air while plowing through everyone. And T-Rex poking at people's eyes.

Fran has always coached this way to get under your skin, and a lot of times it works. He now has guys like Connor, Pemsl, Kreiner, and Garza all out there doing similar "thugish" things to get the other team off their game. It's what you resort to when you're team is not on the same level talentwise.

Prohm has to preach to his team going into this game to keep their emotions in check.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
That's how Fran's teams have always played. Remember Aaron White. Mr. Drive and Flail your arms in the air while plowing through everyone. And T-Rex poking at people's eyes.

Fran has always coached this way to get under your skin, and a lot of times it works. He now has guys like Connor, Pemsl, Kreiner, and Garza all out there doing similar "thugish" things to get the other team off their game. It's what you resort to when you're team is not on the same level talentwise.

Prohm has to preach to his team going into this game to keep their emotions in check.
And maybe push back? What are we, a bunch of high school kids?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
They can't play defense, like at all and it's at Hilton. We'll be favored so I hope you money line Iowa big if you feel this way

Well, it ain't exactly our specialty either from what I've seen.

The game a few years back where Monte, Naz, Thomas et al went to the Carver mausoleum and lost to a team that had no business even being close to them kind of changed my perspective. The words super bowl get thrown around a lot on here, but Fran and his team of Iowa high school all stars really do treat it as such. I haven't felt confident in this game since and I've seen nowhere near the level of consistency from us so far I would need to give me much this year.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013

The game a few years back where Monte, Naz, Thomas et al went to the Carver mausoleum and lost to a team that had no business even being close to them kind of changed my perspective. The words super bowl get thrown around a lot on here, but Fran and his team of Iowa high school all stars really do treat it as such. I haven't felt confident in this game since and I've seen nowhere near the level of consistency from us so far I would need to give me much this year.
I don’t think we are good this year but we are not playing Duke or Kentucky. Iowa is decent this year but no where close to an unbeatable team.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Lafaester54

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Went to Carver is different than stayed at Hilton. Home team always wins this game unless we sneak one out over there

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don’t think we are good this year but we are not playing Duke or Kentucky. Iowa is decent this year but no where close to an unbearable team.
They’re unbearable imo. A bunch of losers and outcasts that flop.

This is a essentially toss up game imo, which is disappointing in itself.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
And maybe push back? What are we, a bunch of high school kids?

No, don't push back. That's when we called for technicals. That's exactly why they do it, to get under our skin, get us off our game, and maybe get some technicals called on us to for responding to their childish acts.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I think our team only has two weaknesses - poor D and poor shooting.

Iowa may be a bunch of pasty slow iowa dudes, but they can shoot. And of course they'll be motivated because they're from iowa.

If we're off from 3....we're in trouble.

Tyrese may need to go for 40.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think our team only has two weaknesses - poor D and poor shooting.

Iowa may be a bunch of pasty slow iowa dudes, but they can shoot. And of course they'll be motivated because they're from iowa.

If we're off from 3....we're in trouble.

Tyrese may need to go for 40.

If Tyrese needs to go for 40 to beat Iowa in Hilton what's he going to have to do to put good teams in Hilton? 60? 70?