Iowa/Iowa St.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
True, but only to a point, in the SFA defeat of Duke, SFA shot 2/10 from 3 point line, they won in overtime because Duke allowed them to stick around, Duke shot a higher percentage in 2 pointers, 3 pointers and free throws. In the Kentucky loss, Evansville was 9/30 from 3, but the Wildcats were only 4/17.

If you look at the Iowa losses this year, one stat jumps off the page, ability to hit 3 points in the wins, and not hitting them in the losses. Against San Diego state they did well and lost, 9/23, against DePaul 6/18, against Michigan 3/15. In their wins they were averaging over 10 made three pointers a game.

For ISU to win, we have to be able to hit 3 points, need around 10, and hold Iowa to 6 or less. If we do that, we will win the game.

I am sure Prohm will have an emphisis on perimeter D due to EIU's lack of athleticism at the guard spot with J-Bo, Pat MaC, and CJ playing and ISU's ability with Nixon, Bolton, Jackson and Grill ability to play man-to-man on the perimeter. A major decision will be to see if Prohm decides to double Garza or trust Conditt and Solomon to play him straight up. I think Hali and Nixon can recover on the pass out to contest but if they don't have to it'll be a major advantage for ISU.

I don't think ISU needs to hit more 3's than the Hoks, if it is close ISU wins imo. It isn't this teams game to hit from the perimeter and they should try to match them, just play their game and attack the hoop and PnR's. Do that and ISU will be fine. Iowa will need to hit from three if they are cold it could get ugly, and I don't think they have a plan B on offense.

Reactions: Doc

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Let's go Clones, please don't give this guy the satisfaction of a win tomorrow night!

Check out the picture he chose. Really?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I am sure Prohm will have an emphisis on perimeter D due to EIU's lack of athleticism at the guard spot with J-Bo, Pat MaC, and CJ playing and ISU's ability with Nixon, Bolton, Jackson and Grill ability to play man-to-man on the perimeter. A major decision will be to see if Prohm decides to double Garza or trust Conditt and Solomon to play him straight up. I think Hali and Nixon can recover on the pass out to contest but if they don't have to it'll be a major advantage for ISU.

I don't think ISU needs to hit more 3's than the Hoks, if it is close ISU wins imo. It isn't this teams game to hit from the perimeter and they should try to match them, just play their game and attack the hoop and PnR's. Do that and ISU will be fine. Iowa will need to hit from three if they are cold it could get ugly, and I don't think they have a plan B on offense.

Just have Bolton drive straight at Garza the first 5 possessions of the game and get him in foul trouble.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

You bring up an interesting thought: we’re used to seeing that double to the post from a guard leaving a 3 point shooter and a tougher road to rotate against a good ball moving club (I don’t know if Iowa is that), but what if we double with two bigs? I don’t think Garza is fast enough or athletic enough to turn and find that open man against any combo of our big men.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I honestly think we should run more clear outs for Bolton. He should do that 8-10 times a game.
The problem is whoever is defending that has an easy job. Bolton's first step is really really fast, but it is always with the right hand.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I think our team only has two weaknesses - poor D and poor shooting.

Iowa may be a bunch of pasty slow iowa dudes, but they can shoot. And of course they'll be motivated because they're from iowa.

If we're off from 3....we're in trouble.

Tyrese may need to go for 40.

tyrese didn't get his 40. crap.