Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Yeah, I agree. It is great when a player from our state is doing well (unless they are from our hated rival). I'd love to have a few Iowans on our team IF they are truly skilled D1 basketball players & NOT at the expense of giving a scholly to someone like GN, TH, or ManMan instead. Wish we could have gotten Weiskamp and Carton - but knew that was going to be next-to-impossible based on the deep-seeded Hok love / B1G love.

Foster was a big recruiting win for Prohm in that sense... even if he won't be as immediate impact as his recruiting ranking suggests. That one really hurts Fran more than it was a need for Iowa State's class. Iowa still has some talent around now but the 2020 class will rear its ugly head down the road.

The next in-state kid worth taking likely won't be until 2022 with Lipsey. Glad the Hawks don't have a shot there but Prohm will need to earn it with on-court success this year and/or next.

Last edited:

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Thank you from saving me the time finding that post.

It's a good thing you have Bcclone posting here as well....at least you'll always have one person on here that knows less about Iowa bball than you.
Don't be offended @jmb. I know less about Iowa basketball than you or @BCClone so there's at least two of us. I pride myself in not knowing about such mundane topics as Iowa basketball.

Reactions: SCyclone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Yeah the unfortunate truth is that the state doesn't produce a lot of talent worthy of competing at the Big 12 level. The talent the state produces is generally more able to compete against Big 10 teams that recruit similarly (gritty, fundamentally sound, physical dudes with less athleticism), but even more so MVC level competition.
I'm not sure the talent from Iowa is any more fundamentally sound than, say, the talent from Michigan. Just because they are less athletic (i.e. generally slower) and you can see the deliberate fundamental movements more easily doesn't mean that the athlete that does the same thing, only quicker, is any less fundamentally sound.

Admittedly, I don't watch a lot (ok, any) of Iowa High School basketball. However, when I watch Jorbo throwing up shots from his hip from weird angles or not protecting the ball, Pemsl barreling into somebody while not displaying any ability to use his right hand, and Connor not looking towards the basket as a primary ball handler, I just don't see great fundamentals.

As far as I can tell, the Iowa high school player with the best fundamentals is Jacobson.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think ISU fans on here need to chill a bit on talking smack to Iowa fans about how we're going to beat their a**.

I think the only way ISU beats Iowa is if Halliburton has just an amazing game, like a triple double, and the team overall shoots over 35% from 3.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think ISU fans on here need to chill a bit on talking smack to Iowa fans about how we're going to beat their a**.

I think the only way ISU beats Iowa is if Halliburton has just an amazing game, like a triple double, and the team overall shoots over 35% from 3.

Saying that we need one player to post a triple double to beat Iowa at Hilton is an incredibly bad take.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Saying that we need one player to post a triple double to beat Iowa at Hilton is an incredibly bad take.

I just meant that he had to have a REALLY great game, like a triple double type game for example, is what I meant.

Sorry if that puts too much pressure on TH (he better get used to it if he wants to leave early for the NBA), but I'm just saying what I believe needs to happen for ISU to win.

Why? Well, because if he scores a lot, obviously that helps, but even more than that, if he's penetrating the defense and dishing out assists... that will help this offense more than anything. And finally, against Iowa, we will HAVE to rebound. Especially on the defensive end. We cannot allow Iowa to get 2 or 3 chances at a basket every time down the court.

And then we'll have to shoot a LOT better as a team than we've shown.... that should be obvious to anyone.

I'm not too concerned about our defense showing up, especially at home with the crowd. We have some good defenders on this team.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I just meant that he had to have a REALLY great game, like a triple double type game for example, is what I meant.

Sorry if that puts too much pressure on TH (he better get used to it if he wants to leave early for the NBA), but I'm just saying what I believe needs to happen for ISU to win.

Why? Well, because if he scores a lot, obviously that helps, but even more than that, if he's penetrating the defense and dishing out assists... that will help this offense more than anything. And finally, against Iowa, we will HAVE to rebound. Especially on the defensive end. We cannot allow Iowa to get 2 or 3 chances at a basket every time down the court.

And then we'll have to shoot a LOT better as a team than we've shown.... that should be obvious to anyone.

I'm not too concerned about our defense showing up, especially at home with the crowd. We have some good defenders on this team.

What do we have to do Sunday to win? 50 from Haliburton?

• Funny
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
What do we have to do Sunday to win? 50 from Haliburton?

Nope, but yes, he'll have to have a great game.

We have one player on this team that is far and away our best player.... so yes, he has to play really well against decent teams for us to win IMO. We have very few offensive options at this point, but if TH is scoring and setting everyone else up to score, we can compete with decent teams. If he's not, then we become a very average team real quick.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
CyTwins: Who are the best five players between ISU and Iowa in order (not counting JorBo)?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron