Vegas pre-seeds

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6606753-cklv-2019-pre-seeds-have-arrived

Some interesting nuggets from ISU standpoint.

49 is a super tough weight. Hope Degen will perform, but a DNP would not be a huge shock to me.

57 Carr should definitely make the semis. Deakin will be another huge test for him.

84 wow, Colbray down at the 8. That puts him against Zahid in the quarters. He’ll have to do his work on the back side.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: BigD and stuclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6606753-cklv-2019-pre-seeds-have-arrived

Some interesting nuggets from ISU standpoint.

49 is a super tough weight. Hope Degen will perform, but a DNP would not be a huge shock to me.

57 Carr should definitely make the semis. Deakin will be another huge test for him.

84 wow, Colbray down at the 8. That puts him against Zahid in the quarters. He’ll have to do his work on the back side.
I don’t a subscription. What are Parker and Mackall looking at for match ups?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I don’t a subscription. What are Parker and Mackall looking at for match ups?
Mackall currently at the 2. The weight is not near as deep as others. Schroeder from Purdue with the 3, a solid Brandon Courtney from ASU at the 6.

Parker is at the 6. Demas and Mitch McKee are the 2/3 on his side.

Reactions: Sturge34 and JM4CY

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
If seeds hold, here are my thoughts:

125- Could have a tough quarter against Alex Thomsen, but if he gets on top of Thomsen he should be able to tilt him and control the match. Thomsen is very good from neutral though. Shroeder will be a good test if they meet in the semis, but I expect Alex to win that. Mueller is a bear and might be one of the 2 wrestlers that can challenge Lee this year, so I would put best case scenario as 2nd place for Mackall.

133- Really depends on the draw for Small as he didn't get a seed, but this could be a good coming out party for him. Big opportunity to get some quality wins to work towards qualifying for a spot in March. I do not expect to see Gomez again this year, so it is time for Small to grab control of the spot.

141- To me this really depends how healthy Parker is. If he has improved health since the Iowa dual and can take some shots, he has an outside chance of upsetting McKee to get to Demas. I think Demas is beatable (as Ian has beat him in the last year), but I have a hard time picking Ian to get past McKee. If Ian beats McKee, that tells me he's healthy and feeling good and I would pick him to upset Demas in the semis and match-up with Pletcher in the finals. But, I am not confident in Ian's health so I would take a 6th place finish from him at this tournament.

149- This is going to be an insane bracket. Any of the top 8 seeds could win this bracket. Degen will have a tough quarter against Purinton (who just beat Max Thomsen a couple weeks ago) or Pohlmeyer, followed by a very tough semi against Parriot or Sasso. If it is Sasso, he is an electric wrestler but he tends to gas. If Degen can keep the first period within 4 points I think he would have a good chance to win the match. Hoping for a top 4 finish from Jarrett, but as crabs said would not be shocked with a DNP.

157- Showtime for David. Great opportunity for him to show he belongs in the top echelon of 157 and a chance to earn the #1 ranking. I expect him to make the semis and face Deakin from NW. Deakin will be a great challenge for David and is a complete toss up. I'll pick him to win and then beat Hidlay in the finals. Carr seems to love the bright lights and this will be a big moment for the Freshman.

165- Like 133, a good opportunity for Chase to pick up some wins and work towards earning a qualification for March. I liked what I saw from Chase for 6 minutes against Bucknell and the first 2 periods against Marinelli. If he can finish matches, he could be a solid 165.

174- A chance for Marcus to earn a top 20 ranking. He ran into a buzzsaw against Kem, but I am excited to see how he competes against the 10-20 ranked kids. Could either be a coming out party for Marcus, or a potential Sophomore step back

184- Like 149, this is a crazy stacked bracket. I do not like this draw for Colbray at all, but if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. I was disappointed with his match against Brands, but this is a great opportunity to rebound. If he can be top 6, that would be a great tournament.

197- Not expecting much here

Hwt- I actually love this draw for Gannon. He pinned Tate Orndorff (the #2 seed and top 5 wrestler this year) last year and will likely face him in the quarters. If he can beat Tate again, he would likely face Tanner Hall from ASU which is another winnable match. I am predicting Gannon will beat Tate, then lose to Hall but have a top 4 finish at this tournament and jump into the top 10 at hwt.

Going to be a fun tournament for sure and excited to see how the guys compete!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What are realistic expectations from a team points stand point? 4th-6th?

Also, whenever this topic comes up, man it makes me miss Gomez.

• Agree
Reactions: crablegs

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Besides weight issues, what is wrong with Gomez that makes people think he won't wrestle at all this year?

He had a concussion shortly before the Harold Nichols that has kept him out. This is also not his first time with concussion issues as he had a couple his redshirt season. Dresser mentioned in an interview with Flo that they are looking at potentially medical redshirting him, but we have seen concussion issues cut promising careers short before (i.e. Chris Spangler)

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Just my gut talking here, but I don't think we see Gomez this season. Which will be a big blow to our team pts come NCAA's and sucks for Gomez since 133 is cleared out this year with all of the olympic RS.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Dresser stated in the Flo video prior to the Iowa match that Gomez may be shelved for the year. Hard to get down to weight under concussion protocol. If the time off would give him a better chance of staving off concussions I’d be all for it. I’m just not sure it is that correlative.

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
Could it just be that the "year" that Dresser is talking about is the rest of 2019 and he may be available later this season in 2020?

That is how I read the Iowa State Daily article above.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
Could it just be that the "year" that Dresser is talking about is the rest of 2019 and he may be available later this season in 2020?

That is how I read the Iowa State Daily article above.

I read it the same. More of he is out until the 2nd half of the year (maybe more).

Overall, no idea how ISU will fit into the team standings. Top 5 would be very good with the field as set, without Gomez. Finalist possibilities with Mackall, Degen, and Carr. As mentioned above, huge opportunities for Parker, Coleman and Colbray. If these seeds hold, Colbray will have to perform very well just to get to Zahid. At 141, McKee is a big move/scramble type wrestler. If Parker can stay solid, I see that as a possible upset. Wrestling McKee then Demas back-to-back would be about staying out of the big moves. Degen will have close matches throughout, as its a tough weight and its just his style. Not sold on the Nebraska wrestler, even after watching the UNI match. Coleman has a possibility of making a run. Skatzka didn't look good against Rider earlier in the season. That is an upset waiting to happen if Coleman gets on some offense outside out straight on shots.

I am excited to see the team perform this weekend. Many great opportunities. Either way, use it to reevaluate the next part of the season.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I kind of took the year comment as meaning this season but it is confusing.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Given Gomez’s comments about his summer weight I was already concerned about how his season was going to play out. I’d sit him this year. Match him up with Carr’s eligibility. We need to stack as many point scorers around Carr during his Jr and Sr year as possible.

We could make a climb as a team this year but a lot of that is a product of the Olympic Redshirts. We are looking at 3-4 AAs this year. Maybe. Sit Gomez. Get him healthy. Make a plan for his weight management and where he starts next season.

Reactions: Sturge34

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Given Gomez’s comments about his summer weight I was already concerned about how his season was going to play out. I’d sit him this year. Match him up with Carr’s eligibility. We need to stack as many point scorers around Carr during his Jr and Sr year as possible.

We could make a climb as a team this year but a lot of that is a product of the Olympic Redshirts. We are looking at 3-4 AAs this year. Maybe. Sit Gomez. Get him healthy. Make a plan for his weight management and where he starts next season.
Thing is, I don't think we can just 'sit' him. If he gets cleared through the concussion protocol and then just doesn't wrestle because of weight or roster management, it will be hard to qualify for a medical redshirt. This is one of the reasons I often advocate for wrestling true freshmen if they are ready. In case you run into a situation like this down the road where you need the redshirt.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Thing is, I don't think we can just 'sit' him. If he gets cleared through the concussion protocol and then just doesn't wrestle because of weight or roster management, it will be hard to qualify for a medical redshirt. This is one of the reasons I often advocate for wrestling true freshmen if they are ready. In case you run into a situation like this down the road where you need the redshirt.
Agree has to be unable to compete due to injury for the rest of the season is what I think the criteria is.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012

Very good point. Head injuries are so confounding it’s hard to understand what true “treatments” are available aside from time off. But you are right... sitting him may not be an option.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron