*** Official #23 IOWA STATE VS Kansas State Game(Day) Thread ***

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
BU, KSU, and OkSU passed ISU by this season. That's not a good look for a 4th year program.

It seems rather clear that there are coaching deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball, just as there were last year. They weren't addressed during the past off-season and ISU paid for it this year. Football is about scoring points. If you can't score, you can't win.

Those three programs passed us? I'm not sure we were ahead of them.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ

SpringCreekCY

Oct 13, 2014
What has many frustrated is almost every week, win or lose, the team underachieves.

Thinking back over the season the game I felt the best after? Oklahoma, a loss!

The rest were very, very frustrating to watch, even when we won.

It was a great season compared to the horrible losing seasons we’ve had but fun, not at all.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
So if we agree on most points with the exception being the availability and use of a dumb tag why call me a sunshine pumping moron? Because you are a massive douche and incapable of civil discourse? I don't live on a message board and hadn't seen that here yet, and don't care to.
Yes tough guy is here! Civil discourse is not asking for dumb tag on someone's post who says the same thing you are thinking just in a different way. Also I love the, "I don't live on a message board..." You look stupid because here you are on a message board. You either are on them or not.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
It's all about expectations. This team was picked to finish third in the conference and we didn't live up to that. We had several losses in just heart breaking fashion, and even in the wins, we did our best to give away plenty of them (UNI, Texas and Kanas for example). Had zero business losing to Iowa or Oklahoma State at home. We can all be happy that we aren't a 2 or 3 win team every year now, but it doesn't mean we can't have expectations and want better than 7-5 with a team that was VERY capable of doing so in what is quite honestly not a very good year for the conference.

I clicked agree, but I have a caveat. Can we have expectations without running down our players and coaches, calling them names and wishing they weren't Cyclones? That's all I ask. I want a national Championship as much or more than many of you, but you can't call your team, its players and coaches names and expect that YOU deserve anything from them.

The second you start throwing around stuff like "the O-line sucks", and "I hope Campbell finds another job," you lose all rights to "deserving" more. I don't give a rip how you feel about it.

If you can't understand this, you are completely shortsighted.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
BU, KSU, and OkSU passed ISU by this season. That's not a good look for a 4th year program.

It seems rather clear that there are coaching deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball, just as there were last year. They weren't addressed during the past off-season and ISU paid for it this year. Football is about scoring points. If you can't score, you can't win.
They scored 409 points this year, last year its was like 350 including the bowl game I believe. So the offense was greatly improved.

ISU's biggest problem this year was dropped INT's and giving up first down's on 3rd and long.

I mean if it was 3rd down and 10 or more the conversion rate had to be 80% for the opponent

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Not directed at you as I'm not sure you said anything negative. But, the majority of thre people in this thread suggesting X coach didn't do their best job are not being, let's say, very constructive in their criticism. I think that is what draws the ire of many who apprciate them being here after DECADES of MUCH worse. Yes, we want them to improve, but lay off the namecalling and the demands for firing for goodness sakes.
Good lord have some expectations in life. Campbell expects this team and program to be better, so we should too. I guarantee he is thinking there is no reason we shouldn't have won 9 or maybe 10 games this year, but he would never say it. This team has talent and is right there, but they really crapped the bed this season in some critical points.

adamwbusch

Dec 8, 2016
If you question coaching decisions at all you are a bad fan or don’t appreciate the effort by the team. Nonsense.
I guess I don’t understand your comment. People that question coaching decisions are bad fans? Hmm...I guess this world must just be full of people that are not nearly as full of sunshine and rainbows like you must be. There are moments in every game where these coaches make mistakes. The frustrating thing is when they continue to make them instead of adjusting.

but I guess that makes me a bad fan to state the obvious.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I clicked agree, but I have a caveat. Can we have expectations without running down our players and coaches, calling them names and wishing they weren't Cyclones? That's all I ask. I want a national Championship as much or more than many of you, but you can't call your team, its players and coaches names and expect that YOU deserve anything from them.

The second you start throwing around stuff like "the O-line sucks", and "I hope Campbell finds another job," you lose all rights to "deserving" more. I don't give a rip how you feel about it.

If you can't understand this, you are completely shortsighted.
Certain degrees yes, but saying the o-line sucks when that's exactly what they did tonight is just calling it what it is. Those guys when they watch film are going to think the exact same thing. Sometimes you have to take your licks. I've been told by co-workers or bosses that my effort was really poor in "x" situation or that my job I did on a project really was not well done and I need to be much better or risk not getting those types of projects.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclonesMoney

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
I guess I don’t understand your comment. People that question coaching decisions are bad fans? Hmm...I guess this world must just be full of people that are not nearly as full of sunshine and rainbows like you must be. There are moments in every game where these coaches make mistakes. The frustrating thing is when they continue to make them instead of adjusting.

but I guess that makes me a bad fan to state the obvious.
No I am agreeing with you. I was being a smart ankle

Rockymtcy

Oct 2, 2018
Anybody else feel like if Campbell would have a reaalllly bad time if he went to a big fish like Florida State or any other big fish. His main strengths are with recruiting and creating a culture and getting players to buy in, but...

In every season he has been here there have at least 4-5 games where the team executes everything horribly and completely plays like ****. Even if he had the talent if this year's Ohio State's, I don't think he could win more then 9 games. At the end of the day, he is just not a very good gameday coach.
Are you knownothing's sibling?

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Find a post where I “denigrated the team.”

I wasn't writing the first part of the post about you or your comments. I was suggesting that people denigrate their team in any way don't deserve their fandom. Then you went off on my comment. If you don't agree with me, that's OK.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Good lord have some expectations in life. Campbell expects this team and program to be better, so we should too. I guarantee he is thinking there is no reason we shouldn't have won 9 or maybe 10 games this year, but he would never say it. This team has talent and is right there, but they really crapped the bed this season in some critical points.

I have expectations in life. I just don't crap all over those that I choose to affiliate myself with when things don't work out the way I want them too.

Have expectations, state them in a way that is respectful and you'll get no argument from me.

Run the Cyclones, Cyclone Players or Cyclone coaches down in a way that would get your ass handed to you by ANY OF THEM, and I'll tell you you are acting like an entitled little baby that needs to find something they can actually control to live their life through.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
Yes tough guy is here! Civil discourse is not asking for dumb tag on someone's post who says the same thing you are thinking just in a different way. Also I love the, "I don't live on a message board..." You look stupid because here you are on a message board. You either are on them or not.

I apologize, you do not live on the message board based on the number of posts you have, nor do I. I just think having a quick label of dumb is not good for conversation. I'm sorry.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
K state and Iowa are hard for isu to beat because they run the ball and normally have big bruising lines and running backs. Our defense just isn’t designed to take that pounding, it’s better against ok state or Texas tech or even ou where can get our linebackers in space to make plays on smaller backs qbs, and receivers. It’s designed to stop an offense like ours that is going to pass 50x come hell or high water. Most teams we face are never going to commit to the run like that, it’s pick your poison really. They do ok with those heavy offenses, but it’s not designed with that in mind.

I do think k state saw a specific spot they could attack where we are undermanned, one that has been there for quite some time frankly, and just never moved away from that.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
What has many frustrated is almost every week, win or lose, the team underachieves.

Thinking back over the season the game I felt the best after? Oklahoma, a loss!

The rest were very, very frustrating to watch, even when we won.

It was a great season compared to the horrible losing seasons we’ve had but fun, not at all.

This year the team underachieved, last 2 years it was the opposite. If you look forward to Phil Steele's annual preseason edition he will probably call for us to have a 8-9 win year based on breaks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron