Battle 4 Atlantis 2019

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Agree, particularly on defense. Defending Livers and ball screens is the key imo.

In the past we’d probably go small to defend Livers, while seeing if Teske could cover Jacobson.

Is Livers a ball handler in the mold of Tinkle? Will they be setting ball screens for him, or is he more of a stretch 4? I vaguely remember watching him last season, but don't remember much.

Anyone else completely forget that Juwan Howard is Michigan's coach and not Beilein? That's probably a good thing for us.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is Livers a ball handler in the mold of Tinkle? Will they be setting ball screens for him, or is he more of a stretch 4? I vaguely remember watching him last season, but don't remember much.

Anyone else completely forget that Juwan Howard is Michigan's coach and not Beilein? That's probably a good thing for us.

Yeah, that helps a lot. Beilein is an all-timer and has the Cleveland Cavaliers playing somewhat competitive ball. He would figure us out quickly.

Howard...? No idea. But I will take an inexperienced coach as an opponent.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Just read an article that Livers is modeling his game after Klay Thompson, so I'm not sure he's the ball-dominant guy that Tinkle is. Sounds like they rely on their guards to penetrate and find open shooters. I'm definitely worried about handling Simpson in the pick and roll.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I think he's more of an athletic stretch 4 type, although maybe he's doing more this year. I think he may be a good example of what we'd like Zion Griffin to turn into over the next couple of years.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Just read an article that Livers is modeling his game after Klay Thompson, so I'm not sure he's the ball-dominant guy that Tinkle is. Sounds like they rely on their guards to penetrate and find open shooters. I'm definitely worried about handling Simpson in the pick and roll.
He’s a good enough handle and quick enough running off screens that I think he gives Jacobson, Conditt, and Young trouble. Plus, I’d guess he’s a good combo with Simpson as the on-ball screen. Pick and pop will be an issue, and We’ve struggled with that even when having fleet-footed fours.

The coaching change is an interesting component. Although I’d expect current staff to use what worked for Beilein, it’ll be hard to top him and Yaklich on the bench. Martelli does have a lot of experience though.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I am super excited to watch this game. I think this game will tell us a lot, but IMO every game will come down to us shooting around 30-35% from 3. If we do that ISU will have a great chance to win. If they shoot 15% we'll lose. Just how it's going to be this year.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Here is a blurb or two from the Detroit Free Press.

The Wolverines have been red-hot from the field. Through four games, they've shot 61.4% on twos (No. 4 in the nation) and 39.0% from 3-point range, good for an effective field-goal percentage of 60.0% — fifth-best in the nation. The Wolverines are volume 3-point shooters, with 40.2% of their shots coming from behind the arc, but they're making enough to be good on offense. Michigan has three rotation players with an offensive rating of over 120 (considered to be an elite mark) — wing Isaiah Livers (128.7), center Colin Castleton (120.7) and center Jon Teske (120.3). Point guard Zavier Simpson (117.9) and guard Eli Brooks (111.8) aren't far behind, either.

Iowa State looks like a solid team, with a balanced attack that includes six players who average between 7.3 and 12.5 points per game. Still, Michigan matches up well against the Cyclones' backcourt of Haliburton and Penn State transfer Rasir Bolton. It might be close, but the Wolverines should secure another quality non-conference win. Michigan 73, Iowa State 70

Hopefully the combination of the temporary basketball floor and odd lighting/backboards of the Atlantis setup will cool the Michigan three-point shooters. Ours can't get much worse anyway. ;)

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Michigan has a trio of high level and experienced starters in Zavier Simpson, Isaiah Livers, and Jon Teske. Their bench doesn't offer much but those three are enough to make them a good team this year. Michigan will be favored by a few points tomorrow.
ESPN isn't showing a spread, but their matchup predictor gives us a 66% chance of winning.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I personally think we lose to Michigan, beat Bama, and then lose to Seton Hall (but beat them later in the year).

In other news, I met the 3rd string QB of our very own 1980 Cyclones Team. He was like "Yea I played college ball at some school no one cares about, Iowa State" and then I lit up and went crazy with him lol. Showed him my Iowa State undershirt. Good times happening in the Bahamas

Reactions: pulse and isu83

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I personally think we lose to Michigan, beat Bama, and then lose to Seton Hall (but beat them later in the year).

In other news, I met the 3rd string QB of our very own 1980 Cyclones Team. He was like "Yea I played college ball at some school no one cares about, Iowa State" and then I lit up and went crazy with him lol. Showed him my Iowa State undershirt. Good times happening in the Bahamas
Lew was out on a Pepsi hunt last night (it's almost all CocaCola here). On the way back in bumped into Solo and chatted with him for a bit. He tells me he told Solo "my wife is really going to be pissed that she didn't come with me this time". He's right!!!