ISU vs Iowa Grades

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
Mackall -- C. He put the effort in, but he is just far over-matched. Lee is the best 1st period wrestler in the history of NCAA wrestling. You saw that today.

Small -- C. Again, effort was fine, just not close to DeSanto. He stayed in it after being down 6.

Parker -- A-. I just like his effort. He isn't the most talented in the world, but he gassed Happel, and that's how he won that match. Battling every position.

Degen -- B. Him and Lugo are back and forth every time. Degen made a mistake, and it cost him. If not for the locked hands, its 6-2 and he rides it out to win. I thought it was 2 at the end, but they didn't get the call.

Carr -- A+. First test of his career and he passed. Young is tough. Solid and wrestles hard in every position. Carr had to go get it, and he did.

Straw -- B+. I thought Marinelli was going to run right through him. Straw came out, got the opening takedown, and kept it to a decision. Marinelli looked a bit off compared to last year, but I see that as early season stuff.

Coleman -- C. Kemerer is much better, and it showed. Coleman gave up some positions in the third period and kept trying straight on shots. Needs to find something else to move up levels.

Colbray -- D. Come on man. Brands is tough, I will give him that. But you have to try to score. Took what, 2 shots? Rides him tough in the 3rd for a minute then lets him go in the TB, then didn't come close to scoring.

Shapiro -- C. See 125/133 except Warner isn't as dynamic or as much of a scorer as his Hawk teammates. Was expecting more of a fight from Shapiro. Needs to keep working and developing.

Gremmel -- C. He kept it close, and that was about it. I think he was out there to not get pinned. Took the one great shot at the end and didn't try to score. Tried to hold on and Cass scored instead.

Overall team -- C. This team has a long ways to go. Did about as I expected, except for 184. 149 is a toss up each and every time. Many guys got C's simply because they were out-gunned, and did about as I expected. Gomez possibly missing for the year will drop team expectations down just a bit. This team will rely on 125, 141, 149, 157 and 184 to do their work. Carr is a title threat. That is for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Very well done. Two disagreements:

The locked hands is the only thing that prevented Degen from getting reversed. I love him and I think he beats Lugo 6-7 times out of 10 but he has to stop falling in the hole early.

Colbray HAD to let Brands up in OT. Since he gave up that TD, if he rides him out with no back points he loses. And it didn’t seem like he could turn him so letting him go was absolutely the right move.

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
Very well done. Two disagreements:

The locked hands is the only thing that prevented Degen from getting reversed. I love him and I think he beats Lugo 6-7 times out of 10 but he has to stop falling in the hole early.

Colbray HAD to let Brands up in OT. Since he gave up that TD, if he rides him out with no back points he loses. And it didn’t seem like he could turn him so letting him go was absolutely the right move.

In the tiebreaker, Colbray escaped to make it 2-1, got taken down (3-2) then got the escape (3-3). Riding time doesn't come into play until the next portion of TB. Could he have not ridden him out, and gone to the next OT tied at 3? I may be missing something, but 3-3 takes it to the next SV, regardless of a scored takedown.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
That's how I remember it. Was weird to just hand Nelson that point.

Unless he didn't think he could ride the full :30. Then, it's easier to cut the guy right away and have :30 to work for the winning takedown instead of riding him for :20 and leaving yourself :10 to score.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
In the tiebreaker, Colbray escaped to make it 2-1, got taken down (3-2) then got the escape (3-3). Riding time doesn't come into play until the next portion of TB. Could he have not ridden him out, and gone to the next OT tied at 3? I may be missing something, but 3-3 takes it to the next SV, regardless of a scored takedown.

You’re of course right about the score. Thank you.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Colbray looked like a throwback to the end of the Jackson era. A prime example of stalling out a match and refusing to wrestle until overtime.

The rest of the team actually tried to take it to the hawks. Even small mackall Shapiro etc. wrestlers who were overmatched, at least they wrestled hard

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
It's been a very long time since I've been to a wrestling meet, and I'm sorry if this sounds simplistic, but the Iowa guys looked faster,stronger and more aggressive. I think the good news is, that is something that can developed instead of recruited.

Also, I was lucky enough to sit across the aisle from Nate Carr. It was awesome to watch him watch his son.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
It's been a very long time since I've been to a wrestling meet, and I'm sorry if this sounds simplistic, but the Iowa guys looked faster,stronger and more aggressive. I think the good news is, that is something that can developed instead of recruited.

Also, I was lucky enough to sit across the aisle from Nate Carr. It was awesome to watch him watch his son.
Glad you came to a meet, and hope you come again. Should be a fun year with a lot better performances than you saw today. Unfortunately, those Iowa studs were all 5* equivalent recruits at 25, 65, 74, 97, hvy. ISU can be a top 10 team with what they have now and the stuff that can be developed, but they’re never beating Iowa without a few more David Carrs.

As for my grades:
125 - D. Wrestled really sloppy. He was aggressive, but I would have rather see him be smart. Get to the second and third and see if Spencer gasses. Keep it to a major.

133 - C. Good effort, but completely over matched.

141 - C. Happel is a solid backup, but Parker should not need OT to beat him if Parker wants to AA this year.

149 - C. Didn’t see the kind of action I am used to out of Degen. I think Lugo’s compact frame makes it difficult, but Degen needs to create more action and force more scrambles.

157 - A. Impressed with Carr’s defense and ability to get away. Knew he was awesome on his feet. Kid is special.

165 - B. Fully expected a pin here. Straw didn’t back down, but again overmatched.

174 - C. Coleman again fought hard, but was overmatched. I think it’s time for some tough love with him. His sit the corner defense on the high crotch never works against any good wrestler. He goes to it ALL THE TIME. Time to abandon that.

184 - F. Pathetic

197 - C. Shapiro looks small, but tried hard. Going to be a rough year at this weight.

Hvy - B. Cassiopi is very good. Gremmel did what he needed to. Slowed the match down and hand fought hard.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Colbray was definitely the most disappointing to me. But it’s early in the season and I’m not going to dismiss him yet. He was right there with Lujan at the Harold Nichols and Lujan just majored the #3 guy Venz today. Lot of talent, just frustrating with the match today

• Agree
Reactions: jmb1498 and CyGold

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
OK, I get Straw doesn't get hammered by us critics; however, "the bull" didn't look right and it was an opportunity for Straw to post an upset. Letting the bull get 3 easy bear hugs for 6 pts is unacceptable for a senior. Not really into Straw's body language. Just looks like he's only interested in hanging on.

I give Coleman a D-. After last year, I believe he shoulda made major strides in his strength. He got toyed with and I get it, Kem is good, but c'mon, throw me a bone Coleman.

I also give Colbray an F. No way ever should a 165 guy move up 2 weight classes and defeat a 5th Ranked wrestler. And to top it off, the wrestler is named Brands and it's at Hilton Coliseum. Almost worthy of an expulsion.

197 - I'm not going to grade him; however, I am surprised how bad this was.

Last edited:

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Disappointing result, but I don't really feel any different about our season outlook. This is the best team Iowa has had in a decade. I think we are actually more likely to move up in the rankings with Carr's win.

125- Was hoping Mackall could weather the storm and get into the 2nd and 3rd period, but Lee is just so tough- especially in the first period. I don't feel any different about the rest of the season because of todays result.

133- I thought Small battled throughout the match, was just outgunned. Hope he can develop into a r12 type of guy.

141- Dresser mentioned at the post match social that Parker has been banged up and hasn't wrestled live in several weeks. Said there was something to be said for a tough guy who goes out there and just finds a way to win. Didn't mention any specific injury but to me Parker seemed to be hesitant to shoot, wonder if he has a leg injury. If you go back and watch his match from last week against bucknell, he mostly just tries to snap go-behind or snatch singles and throwbys. Given those circumstances, we will take the W. I don't think this is a close match if Parker were fully healthy.

149- Hard not to feel like Lugo got this one handed to him. Give Lugo some credit though, he mostly avoided scrambles where Degen is so good. He finished quick or let go of the leg when in danger. Still think that was two at the end there, thought the referee started swiping the danger count too late.

157- David. freaking. Carr. Can't wait to watch this guy the rest of his career. He can beat anyone at this weight.

165- thought Straw wrestled tough, he didn't let Marinelli bully him around and stayed in the fight. Hell, it was 6-5 in the 3rd period. I was happy with his effort, just a little bit outgunned.

174- Coleman was one of the more disappointing matches for me today. Didn't show much signs of life. Kemerer looked huge, which was a bit of a surprise for me coming up two weights.

184- Yikes. You just have to win that one. Poor performance, but he has always been volatile from match to match.

197- Shapiro is not as far along as I had hoped. Warner looked a lot bigger than him. He is still young and March is a long ways away.

Hwt- Not much to say here. Cassiopi is going to be a good one for the hawkeyes, but I don't think he can go with some of the more athletic hwt's like Cassar or Steveson.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Disappointing result, but I don't really feel any different about our season outlook. This is the best team Iowa has had in a decade. I think we are actually more likely to move up in the rankings with Carr's win.

125- Was hoping Mackall could weather the storm and get into the 2nd and 3rd period, but Lee is just so tough- especially in the first period. I don't feel any different about the rest of the season because of todays result.

133- I thought Small battled throughout the match, was just outgunned. Hope he can develop into a r12 type of guy.

141- Dresser mentioned at the post match social that Parker has been banged up and hasn't wrestled live in several weeks. Said there was something to be said for a tough guy who goes out there and just finds a way to win. Didn't mention any specific injury but to me Parker seemed to be hesitant to shoot, wonder if he has a leg injury. If you go back and watch his match from last week against bucknell, he mostly just tries to snap go-behind or snatch singles and throwbys. Given those circumstances, we will take the W. I don't think this is a close match if Parker were fully healthy.

149- Hard not to feel like Lugo got this one handed to him. Give Lugo some credit though, he mostly avoided scrambles where Degen is so good. He finished quick or let go of the leg when in danger. Still think that was two at the end there, thought the referee started swiping the danger count too late.

157- David. freaking. Carr. Can't wait to watch this guy the rest of his career. He can beat anyone at this weight.

165- thought Straw wrestled tough, he didn't let Marinelli bully him around and stayed in the fight. Hell, it was 6-5 in the 3rd period. I was happy with his effort, just a little bit outgunned.

174- Coleman was one of the more disappointing matches for me today. Didn't show much signs of life. Kemerer looked huge, which was a bit of a surprise for me coming up two weights.

184- Yikes. You just have to win that one. Poor performance, but he has always been volatile from match to match.

197- Shapiro is not as far along as I had hoped. Warner looked a lot bigger than him. He is still young and March is a long ways away.

Hwt- Not much to say here. Cassiopi is going to be a good one for the hawkeyes, but I don't think he can go with some of the more athletic hwt's like Cassar or Steveson.
I was matside and Shapiro looked plenty big. Warner a little shorter and thicker but Shapiro has a big frame.