All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Well your offense sucks so if your OL doesn't suck who's to blame? Stanley? Brian?
It's the offense as a collective unit. It's not any one person's fault. Iowa's offense just doesn't have the fire power this year. Their defense has kept them in tons of games this year and had they had a great offense this year could've definitely been special.

• Agree
Reactions: TRYHARDER

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It's the offense as a collective unit. It's not any one person's fault. Iowa's offense just doesn't have the fire power this year. Their defense has kept them in tons of games this year and had they had a great offense this year could've definitely been special.

When you don't have a great OL, a mediocre at best QB and poor skill position players/OC it's a recipe for disaster

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It doesn't suck but it's been overall below Iowa's standards. Which are pretty high.

I'd say the interior of Iowa's OL does actually kind of suck. When Linderbaum can't put a choke hold on somebody he's largely been getting caved in. I think he will be good and his struggles are partly a function of G play, but that interior of the OL is not below Iowa standards, it's just not good, period. Injury to Banwart didn't help, but he's never been able to stay healthy, and wasn't great when he was healthy, so not sure claiming that as being a difference is legit. I'll be in the minority of people on here, but I think the interior OL weakness is pretty much the cause of all their offensive problems. People in both fan bases like to bag on Stanley, and he has his issues, but it's asking a lot of a pocket QB to execute with that kind of push up the middle. I have no idea how much you attribute to recruiting, game planning, player development, etc., but the outcome is a big problem for this offense.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and iahawks

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
It's the offense as a collective unit. It's not any one person's fault. Iowa's offense just doesn't have the fire power ever. Their defense has kept them in tons of games this year and had they had a great offense this year could've definitely been special.
Fixed it for you.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I'd say the interior of Iowa's OL does actually kind of suck. When Linderbaum can't put a choke hold on somebody he's largely been getting caved in. I think he will be good and his struggles are partly a function of G play, but that interior of the OL is not below Iowa standards, it's just not good, period. Injury to Banwart didn't help, but he's never been able to stay healthy, and wasn't great when he was healthy, so not sure claiming that as being a difference is legit. I'll be in the minority of people on here, but I think the interior OL weakness is pretty much the cause of all their offensive problems. People in both fan bases like to bag on Stanley, and he has his issues, but it's asking a lot of a pocket QB to execute with that kind of push up the middle. I have no idea how much you attribute to recruiting, game planning, player development, etc., but the outcome is a big problem for this offense.
The days of Joe Philbin and Reese Morgan are gone. They were both incredible O-line coaches.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
As with most issues there is not just 1 factor or individual at fault. Coaching, youth, and injuries all play a role. If the middle of the line had performed better the Hawks would no doubt be in the top 10 instead of ranked 17th. It's been a missed opportunity at a pretty special season. We'd probably be talking about a potential playoff shot in the conference championship game.
And you say "we" are delusional.

Iowa is QB, RB, WR, TE, LBs, DTs, (what else am I missing) away from being one of the top 4 teams...

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: JP4CY and CyTwins

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
And you say "we" are delusional.

Iowa is QB, RB, WR, TE, LBs, DTs, (what else am I missing) away from being one of the top 4 teams...
Never anywhere did I say they were. I just said we'd be talking about playoffs if they went into the conference championship game with Ohio St and only had 1 loss. Hell, if Minnesota wins the next two games they can talk about it. Doesn't mean that Ohio St won't crush the notion anyway. The Hawks are #17 in the country and you talk about them like they are a joke. They're a decent football team but I realize not close to the top 4 right now. Every team outside the top 4 has plenty of faults.

• Disagree
Reactions: JP4CY and herbicide

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Last year Iowa's offense averaged more points per game than ISU and 5 other Big 12 teams.

Which would probably explain the constant meltdowns about the ISU offense for the past three seasons on here.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Never anywhere did I say they were. I just said we'd be talking about playoffs if they went into the conference championship game with Ohio St and only had 1 loss. Hell, if Minnesota wins the next two games they can talk about it. Doesn't mean that Ohio St won't crush the notion anyway. The Hawks are #17 in the country and you talk about them like they are a joke. They're a decent football team but I realize not close to the top 4 right now. Every team outside the top 4 has plenty of faults.

The fact you think you're two guards and a center away from a conference championship game is hilarious

• Agree
Reactions: GTO