Home-ball Advantage

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Seems like the term spherical is pretty loose these days. The seems are so far inset on a lot of the balls it is crazy. My kids have some nice traditional Wilsons which are less aggressively seamed than most of the nike balls. My 5' sixth grader can even palm the 28.5 because the grip and seams are so aggressive. He's got some big ass hands but probably shouldn't be able to palm a ball.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's a slight advantage, but most schools have a ton of different kinds of basketballs in order to prepare for the basketball they will use the next game. Iowa State has Under Armour, Nike, Spalding, Wilson, European style, etc. Usually the Nike schools have a deal with the company where the basketballs are provided with their uniforms / gear.. same with Adidas and Under Armour. If anyone has played with the Under Armour ball before, you'd know how terrible it is. It feels like a rock and feels weird coming off your hand when shooting.

The Wilson ball is used for the NCAA tournament and the Big 12 Tournament and a lot of teams use that as their primary ball for home games, regardless of whether they are a Nike, Under Armour or Adidas school. I like those a lot and am surprised that more schools don't use that considering it's what you'd use if you made the tournament.

Probably the main reason ISU usually wins the B12T. ;)

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
In AAU when I saw that classic Wilson ball I knew it was going to be a good day from the field.

Pretty much all other balls should be outlawed. Not sure how anyone can shoot one of the NCAA Wilsons and decide to spend the same money on a Nike ball. And the UA balls are gross

• Agree
Reactions: LeaningCy

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
The home team always supplies the game balls in basketball. This is news? There are lots of brands. This is news?
I knew both of those things. I didn't realize there wasn't a standard ball and that each school got to choose. Seems like there should be a standard. Just an interesting article that I was unaware of

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Seems like the term spherical is pretty loose these days. The seems are so far inset on a lot of the balls it is crazy. My kids have some nice traditional Wilsons which are less aggressively seamed than most of the nike balls. My 5' sixth grader can even palm the 28.5 because the grip and seams are so aggressive. He's got some big ass hands but probably shouldn't be able to palm a ball.

8th grade basketball we were still using 28.5 (girls' high school size) and my hands grew so it took me half the season to just get used to handling it. Getting to high school was a better fit.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I find it hard to believe that they were using the same balls for practice that they used for games. We had separate balls for games going back to high school and middle school. I would have expected the same in college, especially since most teams would practice in a different facility from where they play games.

Whooooosh

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
I actually prefer the Baden Elite ball. And it just so happens to be $20 cheaper than the Wilson NCAA ball

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron