Tayvonn Kyle Starter

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Somewhat unrelated, but what does ISU have for young safeties? Lewis is a senior and Elsworth might be done after this year. The guy from Rice seems to get a lot of playing time, and has struggled. Just concerned about what happens next year.

Don't get me wrong, Eisworth is good, but not sure he's good enough to get drafted this year and not return.

vonzell kelley
Virdel Edwards
Azunna
King

Gordilly

Sep 5, 2011
Don't get me wrong, Eisworth is good, but not sure he's good enough to get drafted this year and not return.

vonzell kelley
Virdel Edwards
Azunna
King
IMHO he's way too injury prone to draw much draft interest, although I'm sure he'll be an UDFA.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
IMHO he's way too injury prone to draw much draft interest, although I'm sure he'll be an UDFA.

Yeah, I think that Eisworth will be back to prove he can stay healthy. I don't really believe he's shown he is a draft pick at this point, but who knows? IMO next year's starters are Eisworth, White and Miller.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think Kyle has improved a lot during the season. Good to see him get the start. We need several of these young guys to really develop.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't know, he tackled DeShaunte Jones pretty well at the end of the Iowa game :mad:
giphy.gif

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Yeah, I think that Eisworth will be back to prove he can stay healthy. I don't really believe he's shown he is a draft pick at this point, but who knows? IMO next year's starters are Eisworth, White and Miller.
Scouting reports have been pretty positive on Eisworth. I saw a mock draft that had him going in the 3rd round. I think he would be more of a 5th rounder because of the injuries, but he could really increase his stock if he returns for his senior season and stays healthy. Honestly I could even see him going as high as round 2.

Don't forget about Spears in the running for the strong safety spot. Azunna could maybe play there as well and we have Bowens, who is primarily a free safety but who knows with the way the coaches move secondary guys around, and there are some youngsters like Isheem Young that could compete for the starting job vacated by Lewis/Bickham.

For the record, I'll be glad to not have Bickham next year. He's in the right spot most of the time but he can't tackle. I am a big fan of Lewis though and will miss him next year.

PsychedCy09

Jul 8, 2018
Where’s Keontae Jones in the mix of all this? He’s a guy I was was excited for as a recruit and don’t think I’ve ever seen him on the field and getting passed by freshman

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I really don't think Payne/Peavy struggled. I've only noticed the poor tackling on the outside this year (D. Young) -- and mostly because it was so good the last 2 years.

I think we put our corners in tough positions to tackle and it'll take some experience for them to figure it out. Any time we're giving everyone that much space in one-on-one situations, it's just going to be really tough. I really like Young as a man corner but he's not been nearly as good in space and that's one thing this defense gives teams a lot of.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

vonzell kelley
Virdel Edwards
Azunna
King

I think the NFL would really like to see improvement in his coverage, namely man coverage. You have to be able to do that in today's NFL and he's been just okay there. I think he'll be back.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Somewhat unrelated, but what does ISU have for young safeties? Lewis is a senior and Elsworth might be done after this year. The guy from Rice seems to get a lot of playing time, and has struggled. Just concerned about what happens next year.

A load of young guys that we don't know much about yet.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think the NFL would really like to see improvement in his coverage, namely man coverage. You have to be able to do that in today's NFL and he's been just okay there. I think he'll be back.

Even at safety? I don't watch NFL enough to know how much they play cover 0

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Even at safety? I don't watch NFL enough to know how much they play cover 0

Yeah. I think it's something you just need to be able to do even if the system isn't predominantly man. I don't watch enough of the NFL to know exactly how much man they play but I don't think you can throw a guy out there who struggles with it. I'm not saying you need to be able to go out and line up against elite WRs but you better be able to cover TEs at least. I just feel like you need to be able to cover in the secondary in today's NFL. Maybe i'm wrong and there are places that don't play much man or pattern matching stuff but I doubt it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron