Class of 2021

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Hopefully we get the recruiting thing figured out. Love our staff and how they can coach but seems like Metcalf and St. John may be struggling a bit. They are still young but hopefully they figure it out soon.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I'm not really in the know on recruiting but it certainly sounds like it needs to improve.

This reminds me of Hoibergs recruiting in basketball his first several years. He missed on his big targets a lot but he got good transfers to help fill some of the holes from missing on high school recruits. I'm sure Dresser will take a similar approach if needed.

I know this isn't a fair comparison.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I'm not really in the know on recruiting but it certainly sounds like it needs to improve.

This reminds me of Hoibergs recruiting in basketball his first several years. He missed on his big targets a lot but he got good transfers to help fill some of the holes from missing on high school recruits. I'm sure Dresser will take a similar approach if needed.

I know this isn't a fair comparison.
Dresser has done pretty well with transfers. Miklus was obviously huge. Small will be a very good backup. Mackall has really shored up 125.

Maybe he can get in on someone this year too.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
There is definitely something wrong with the recruiting. We should not be out recruited by Northern Iowa. That is all.
You had better prepare yourself to be disappointed every few years. Wrestling isn't like football and when a school doesn't have a ton of scholarships to give they aren't going to get a lot of top level guys. Heck, UNI will out recruit Iowa & OSU (both of them) every few years when they get a top 10 class and the schools listed might be light on schollys that particular year. Let the results speak for them selves as the seasons play out. BTW, Schwab is a good coach and is producing results (i.e. Foster). It's not like they have fewer scholarships than all of the other top programs.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Caleb Rathjen committing tonight... any hope for us here? Lists Iowa, ISU, UNI, North Carolina, Purdue and South Dakota State as finalists.

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
So the longer Facundo waits the more I think we aren’t getting him, if we also lose Ayala we are in for a long recruiting drought. I keep wondering that we must have a ton of money wrapped up with all our current wrestlers, or we just aren’t offering enough.... I just want to hear someone pick us soon

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I never viewed Ayala as a top priority with Reeves a career 125. Assuming Ayala is too.

I felt like we had something to sell Rathjen as far as path to mat time. This one hurts more to me than when Ayala goes elsewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: crablegs