Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Fred at home last night after the loss:

giphy.gif

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
While I enjoyed NE struggling last night even more than I thought I would, I'm also not naive to think this one game tells me anything about good (or bad) Hoiberg teams will be in a couple years.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
What? Taking a job we all knew for years he’d been interested in?

You do realize the hoiberg’s tried to leave Ames for three years before he did, right? Including damn near taking the Minnesota gophers job.

New Orleans, wouldn’t hire him. It was a personal relationship with a terrible front office, that wanted to get rid of a strong willed coach for a yes man, that finally did the trick.

and the whole stringing out his alma mater for an extra couple of months, hamstringing his replacement’s ability to add pieces to a flawed roster, shouldn’t make people all warm and fuzzy either.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You do realize the hoiberg’s tried to leave Ames for three years before he did, right? Including damn near taking the Minnesota gophers job.

New Orleans, wouldn’t hire him. It was a personal relationship with a terrible front office, that wanted to get rid of a strong willed coach for a yes man, that finally did the trick.

and the whole stringing out his alma mater for an extra couple of months, hamstringing his replacement’s ability to add pieces to a flawed roster, shouldn’t make people all warm and fuzzy either.
And Fred did nothing to reduce the impact on recruiting. Plenty of coaches are interested in other jobs, but they make statements otherwise, in public and to recruits. That didn’t happen. The buyout was also completely transparent.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
And Fred did nothing to reduce the impact on recruiting. Plenty of coaches are interested in other jobs, but they make statements otherwise, in public and to recruits. That didn’t happen. The buyout was also completely transparent.

Hoiberg would have helped us by resigning in March. He knew he was leaving. Having a coaching search in June sucks.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Hoiberg would have helped us by resigning in March. He knew he was leaving. Having a coaching search in June sucks.
Arguably the previous spring imo.
If a coach feels compelled to strongly imply to recruits there’s a good chance he won’t be there for them, that coach can’t earnestly do his job.
I’m quite certain that year would have ended in at least a first round loss with or without Fred.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Recruiting didn't matter. He could have told people he was staying and picked up some guys but the minute he left those recruits would have gotten out of their LOI and went somewhere else. They weren't going to stay for Prohm.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
While I enjoyed NE struggling last night even more than I thought I would, I'm also not naive to think this one game tells me anything about good (or bad) Hoiberg teams will be in a couple years.

True, but a big difference between say Nebraska this year and ISU in Fred's first year or Prohm's third year is that at this point there isn't the talent coming next year. That can still change, and likely will to at least some extent, but Fred's got work to do in recruiting for next year. I'm not claiming to know their roster, but I don't think their sit-out transfers are all that highly regarded, and they have one commit out of HS, and they don't have young guys in the program that were all that highly regarded that just need experience.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Recruiting didn't matter. He could have told people he was staying and picked up some guys but the minute he left those recruits would have gotten out of their LOI and went somewhere else. They weren't going to stay for Prohm.

In addition to this, I just don't think there's a lot that Hoiberg OR Prohm could've done to make a huge difference for 2017-18. Once Naz RS, that meant that pretty much no matter who Fred would've recruited or Prohm could've landed, you were going to have Monte, Burton, Thomas and Naz playing as close to 40 mins/game as they can handle. There just weren't going to be many minutes immediately available, which not only makes it tough to land highly regarded talent, it would at best be pretty inexperienced. Of course it could've been better, but it would've taken some pretty extraordinary circumstances for 2017-18 to be anything but a rebuilding year.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

which of course is exactly why him stringing along Iowa State while the bulls were waiting to avoid paying thibs a bonus he was due if fired by a certain date, is even worse.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Fred will get them to the tournament eventually but like it's been said, this will take 3 or 4 years and he won't sniff the heights he reached at ISU. The whole game is different from recruiting to scheme. Fred was also really fortunate at ISU when he got Royce who was a program changer and then was able to land solid top 100 HS talent that just happened to turn in to elite talent (Georges/Monte/etc.).

All that won't happen again for him at Neb would be my guess.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
will be curious if CF can keep up the 100+ posts after every nebraska game.

I think one could argue fred's "edge" has been competed away.

everyone goes after juco's/transfers, his nba connections have zero value because all big time coaches have them too, and everyone wants to play "fast." and he's not a defensive guru by any means, and just like in the nba, his teams can be soft.

given all the $$$ he's now made and how competitive he is, if they don't get it going on year 2 I'll be surprised if he sticks it out.