City Council Approves 40-Acre Entertainment District

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Yeeeeahhhhh……I’d pump the brakes a tad. Waukee or the developer (or whomever it was) that uttered any comparison to P &L District did one of two things by going down that road:

1. Doomed this project by overpromising and thus most likely under delivering (in a BIG way)
  2. Completely misunderstands what causes people to be attracted to an “entertainment district” . hint: Location and other nearby amenities – neither usually meaning carved out of a cornfield or without the backdrop of a urban (i.e…a city’s downtown) and most importantly, major venues (e.g….arenas) within walking distance.
People move to places like Waukee for affordable single family homes, low crime, and good schools. People do not visit Waukee to support an entertainment district. Maybe circa 1985 this makes sense….but this seems really out of step with trends as to where people tend to want to spend their major entertainment dollars.

~ not in DM proper so cap city guy hates it

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I was waiting for you to point to a concrete example of a project like this in an outer ring suburb where this has/is working now. Do you have one? If this is a slam dunk, there should be plenty of examples to point to.

My main skepticism is on sustainability because in the end, that is what eventually hurts the city and thus the homeowners. There is a pretty long list of splash projects around the country that have left cities with a ton of related above and below ground infrastructure to maintain without the corresponding necessary property tax base to pay for it all as time roll forward.

One concrete example in KC is Prairie Fire. It's a fake urban area just like this. Bars, restaurants, shopping, museum, movies, major shopping like Scheels, Von Maur right down the road. Tons of crappy apartments.

It's a slam dunk. I even ate there this past weekend, much to my chagrin.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
That's tough to pull off when you have damn near unlimited land and you're competing with similar shiny new businesses where people can drive their fat asses up to the front door and go in. I'm no urban planner, but when you're developing places like Ankeny or Waukee that are already pretty sprawling, it seems like getting a pedestrian-centered district to go is going to take more dense population centers than any of those places have. You could maybe do it at PT in Ankeny if it was mixed use and had a good number of DMACC students and maybe young professionals. Seems like a pedestrian-focused area needs:
- High density population in the immediate area that don't necessarily all need cars
- Have a venue or venues in the immediate area that have frequent events and have adequate hotel space to accommodate people wanting to stay in the area or are within walking distance

Otherwise you are depending on people coming from the area but not within the immediate development, and if it's a pain in the ass for people to go there because it's really inconvenient or expensive to park, then the businesses have a disadvantage.

You're not wrong, and our state and local laws make anything other (mostly) large chain projects work. Go to any neighborhood in Chicago, MPLS, St Louis, etc and you'll have corner bars and restaurants. In places like Ankeny they (your government) requires so much land that mom and pop places can't build like that. They force people into sprawl by forcing people to accommodate parking.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You're not wrong, and our state and local laws make anything other (mostly) large chain projects work. Go to any neighborhood in Chicago, MPLS, St Louis, etc and you'll have corner bars and restaurants. In places like Ankeny they (your government) requires so much land that mom and pop places can't build like that. They force people into sprawl by forcing people to accommodate parking.

Go to any outer ring suburb of those cities and you have the same chains with the same footprint with the same giant parking lots.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Go to any outer ring suburb of those cities and you have the same chains with the same footprint with the same giant parking lots.
I really think some people don’t realize big cities have the same stuff in their less dense areas. I think the Des Moines metro does a decent job of trying to add more dense stuff like this. There just aren’t enough people in dense enough areas for actual big city development outside of downtown. I’m hoping we are going to continue to get better on that but it’s still going to be a while.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
One concrete example in KC is Prairie Fire. It's a fake urban area just like this. Bars, restaurants, shopping, museum, movies, major shopping like Scheels, Von Maur right down the road. Tons of crappy apartments.

It's a slam dunk. I even ate there this past weekend, much to my chagrin.

....yeah...and given the proximity to Jordan Creek and the overall state of brick and mortar retail in general looking forward, this area probably doesn't have a chance to land big retailers such as these nearby.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I moved from Waukee to Coralville (enemy territory). Waukee and Coralville both have city council's planning years ahead. For having nice roads its great, but from a tax standpoint it sucks. For Waukee's sake, I hope they spend wisely. Coralville just dropped below investment grade bond rating after starting their new arena. Sure glad my taxes are going to give hawk volleyball a home. Still prefer that versus cities like North Liberty that wait until the need for better roads has long passed before making improvements.

Yep....cities are in trouble and it is not getting any better. The shiny and new we see around us, fools our eyes that all is well but there are future financial obligations that cities are strapping themselves with that will come due someday. It is not financially sustainable long term to build in a way that is so spread-out. Property taxes don't begin to pay for the miles and miles of above and below ground infrastructure maintenance and repair costs it takes (not to mention services - police fire, etc.)

The most recent example, Medina, WA. Home to the likes of Bill Gates and Jeff Bezo. Cities are building in a way that is not sustainable.....and now a few generation later, it is all starting to catch up with us. https://mynorthwest.com/1555995/medina-gates-budget-taxes/

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
~ not in DM proper so cap city guy hates it

When I opened the thread and saw the development was in Waukee (and not downtown), I was disappointed there were already 4 replies before he could take a **** on it

How could tiny rural towns like Waukee and Ankeny ever think of supporting restaurants and bars that hold a few hundred people... as if that many people have working cars and a desire to leave their sleepy suburban houses.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
As a Waukee resident, and knowing some of the companies considering going into that area, this should do well. Yes, I get that people like to be skeptical, as I naturally am as well, but Waukee has been pretty careful and thoughtful with their future planning, even as aggressive as it might seem. With pretty easily forecastable growth over the next 15-20 years, this should have a higher than normal chance of success. Being very easy to access with Grand Prairie and the interstate, makes it less of an ordeal to access than many competing places.

With some of the large corporations like Ikea and other weekend-trip type entities doing site studies in the area, as well as the new sports complex already approved, it should have some good partners.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
When I opened the thread and saw the development was in Waukee (and not downtown), I was disappointed there were already 4 replies before he could take a **** on it

How could tiny rural towns like Waukee and Ankeny ever think of supporting restaurants and bars that hold a few hundred people... as if that many people have working cars and a desire to leave their sleepy suburban houses.

Be interesting if you addressed the actual concerns I listed in the thread....as opposed to creating our own straw man argument and then slaying it.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
As a Waukee resident, and knowing some of the companies considering going into that area, this should do well. Yes, I get that people like to be skeptical, as I naturally am as well, but Waukee has been pretty careful and thoughtful with their future planning, even as aggressive as it might seem. With pretty easily forecastable growth over the next 15-20 years, this should have a higher than normal chance of success. Being very easy to access with Grand Prairie and the interstate, makes it less of an ordeal to access than many competing places.

With some of the large corporations like Ikea and other weekend-trip type entities doing site studies in the area, as well as the new sports complex already approved, it should have some good partners.

Curious...do you have firsthand knowledge about IKEA sniffing around here? To date, they do not locate in metro's as small as DSM.....not even close. This would be a major change for them way beyond their current standards.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Be interesting if you addressed the actual concerns I listed in the thread....as opposed to creating our own straw man argument and then slaying it.
I’m sympathetic to your thoughts and am worried about new growth but your argument really boils down to Suburbs bad. We need to make sure that sustainable development takes place but without basically doing feasibility studies and really getting into the weeds it’s hard to discuss.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Curious...do you have firsthand knowledge about IKEA sniffing around here? To date, they do not locate in metro's as small as DSM.....not even close. This would be a major change for them way beyond their current standards.

Yes, they have been doing due-diligence for a while now.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

I don't have the expertise to know whether this will succeed or fail - though my gut says it will probably do fine but not live up to its billing - but as soon as I saw the developer say they had talked to IKEA, my skepticism went up in a big way. But like you said, perhaps IKEA is looking at newer/smaller concepts.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I’m sympathetic to your thoughts and am worried about new growth but your argument really boils down to Suburbs bad. We need to make sure that sustainable development takes place but without basically doing feasibility studies and really getting into the weeds it’s hard to discuss.

"Suburbs is bad" is far to simplistic. It is the development patterns themselves that dictate if an area will be financially sustainable long term or not. There are first ring suburbs in many US cities that have healthy areas of traditional development patterns that easily generate enough property tax revenue to pay for themselves. Likewise, there are plenty of areas in all US central/core cities that have surburban development patterns that are a net drain on the cities finances.

The analysis has been done. We know how do do this. You just have to have today's interested parties actually look long term vs short term when building new developments. Problem is, looking long term isn't actually our strong suit these days at several levels of gov't.

Last edited:

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
"Suburbs is bad" is far to simplistic. It is the development patterns themselves that dictate if an area will be financially sustainable long term or not. There are first ring suburbs in many US cities that have healthy areas of traditional development patterns that easily generate enough property tax revenue to pay for themselves. Likewise, there are plenty of areas in all US cities that have surburban development patterns that are a net drain on the cities finances.

The analysis has been done. We know how do do this. You just have to have today's interested parties actually look long term vs short term when building new developments. Problem is, looking long term isn't actually our strong suit these days at several levels of gov't.
It is to simplistic but it’s the reality of a sports message board. People don’t want to spend all day looking in detail at the studies done about development patterns.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM

That would be interesting.. unfortunately, when discussing something on the internet with someone who holds a fanatical position on the topic, the historical ROI of time is generally sub-par: at the moment this is as much time as I'm able to invest.

How about this, though: we can bookmark this thread and revisit it in 5 years when this district is in shambles

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
That would be interesting.. unfortunately, when discussing something on the internet with someone who holds a fanatical position on the topic, the historical ROI of time is generally sub-par: at the moment this is as much time as I'm able to invest.

How about this, though: we can bookmark this thread and revisit it in 5 years when this district is in shambles

5 yrs? Really? You may want to stop while you're already so far behind. We'll know very little about this area in 5 years (other than what may have started to get built or not)...but kudos for starting another straw-man ..

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
This screams "If you build it, they will come" and that's terrible in CRE development this late into a cycle.

Land acq is high, labor right now is high> Maybe if this were to be built in the triangle area of old-town Waukee or on the elevator site I'd have confidence