WBB: Preview of Missouri Western State

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
What can we expect Wednesday?

They are coached by Candi Whitaker, Texas Tech coach from 2013-2018. It's possible that's the reason we are playing MWS, although she was hired in April 2019 so this game might have been scheduled before then.

The school is Div II. They are in the MIAA, which includes schools like Nebraska-Kearney, NW Mo State, and Emporia State. Out of 14 teams, they were picked 8th by the media and 11th by the coaches. They were 14-16 last season.

Their tallest players are 6'1". Not surprising for a lower-level school.

They appear to only return 6 players, but they have 8 newcomers, only one of whom is a freshman. The other 7 are all transfer juniors and seniors.

The obvious focus of the ISU defense will be on Katrina Roenfeldt. Of their six returners, she is the only one in their top 7 scoring last season, but she was easily #1 at 16.2 ppg. She was a 38% 3pt shooter making 2.9 of 7.6 attempts per game. She was also their leading rebounder (despite being 5'6"!) and #2 in assists. She was first-team all-conference last season and made the preseason team this year.

As a team, they got around 9 steals per game (Roenfeldt led the team with 2 per game). They seemed to force a lot of turnovers but also foul a fair amount.

With a new coach and a bunch of new players, there's not a lot more to say. I expect them to be pesky defensively (could be a good test for our point guards), but I don't expect them to be one of those low-level teams that is able to stick around against ISU due to cohesiveness, as can sometimes happen with an experienced, well-coached team. With all the newcomers, MWS just hasn't had enough time to get to that point.

Last edited:

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I'm ready. Curious to see the newcomers, including the two red shirts. Lots of playing time available for those who earn it. Hope the weather doesn't get crazy.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wow, games already. Kinda snuck up on me. Will have to tune in and see how Cyclone.TV is acting.

With Scott out I am hoping to see lots of Kane minutes to see how her redshirt went. Guessing Nezerwa gets the start and most of 1st half minutes but I've seen her and am just more curious about Kane who we've only seen in exhibition mop up time last year. Slight curiosity for McGraw and maybe Frederick. Not expecting to learn anything about PG in this exhibition.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I expect Nezerwa will probably have a big game. She's always been really good against lower-level competition but struggles more against opponents her own size (I know that's true of most posts, but she seems exceptionally good at taking advantage of her size when she has a few inches on her opponent).

Reactions: Cytasticlone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Projected Starting Lineup: Madison Wise, Adriana Camber, Ashley Joens, Inés Nezerwa, Jade Thurmon .

Inés is the obvious starter (sans Kristin) and Thank Gramam's* NCAA for her return. But, I hope to see a couple of new faces around the basket-we have to develop a post or center as Kristin and Inés's back up, or if we go big. Going big would be a nice to throw at teams.

*My kids like to Thank Gramam's spirit when things go well.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I wonder if Jade will start v Rae? Rae def has the experience there. BUT I do like what was being said about Jade in the preseason. I want to see all the newbies and see what they look like on the court.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Projected Starting Lineup: Madison Wise, Adriana Camber, Ashley Joens, Inés Nezerwa, Jade Thurmon .

Inés is the obvious starter (sans Kristin) and Thank Gramam's* NCAA for her return. But, I hope to see a couple of new faces around the basket-we have to develop a post or center as Kristin and Inés's back up, or if we go big. Going big would be a nice to throw at teams.

*My kids like to Thank Gramam's spirit when things go well.
Jade Thurman to start ? That'll be neat. I been rooting for that girl.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
So far not much opportunity to see plays develop. We do need to work on FT as a team. 9 of 13 at 7:41 in the second.

BTW: who is our new announcer? He’s okay, but doesn’t need to try quite as hard for the deep voice during giveaways and kids shooting contests.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Espenmiller-McGraw development is nicely advanced. Real chance for a lot of minutes. With five minutes left to play Fen put Frederick, Jade, Johnson, Mills and Maggie in. Was not as bad as I thought. Mills needs work but she can move much better down the court than last year. This group is rough but there is plenty of talent and could do nicely with Kristin back.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Good to see Joens driving to the hoop and Madi being more aggressive offensively.
Typical exhibition game but basketball is back and that's a good thing.
When Jade had a chance to just go with the ball you could see flashes of how she must had played when she was that high scoring juco. Her passing needs some fine tuning though.
Like the potential that is Maggie E-M.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron