O-Line Complimented

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yes, you want continuity in your O-line. Chemistry and communication between players is a much bigger deal than on the D-line. You don't want to sub many players on the O-line.
Wasn't there one season (under Rhoads?) where we had a different starting O-line each game for better than half of the season, simply because of injuries. Seems to me we were on our third center by the middle of the season.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Wasn't there one season (under Rhoads?) where we had a different starting O-line each game for better than half of the season, simply because of injuries. Seems to me we were on our third center by the middle of the season.

CMC's first OL has zero starts. Zero. It has been a rough road back from that.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
3 starters (RT, LT, RG) are seniors. Olson is only starting because Newell is injured. The fact that we have a reserve center that can step in is a significant step forward from past years.

Your OL and DL are going to be dominated by Juniors/Seniors if your program is in a good place. It takes time for those guys to get good weight on their frames and OL is the most technique intense position group on the field. If you watch participation charts we have somewhere around 3 reserves seeing action.
Is there a big drop off with the underclassmen, or are they going to be able to reload next year?

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I was thinking yesterday... Has Purdy ever thrown a ball away? Like ever? I know he tried to at Baylor and it got picked. Besides that he always either takes a sack that he doesn't need to, or throws into coverage. Love the man but wouldn't mind seeing him throw a few into the benches!

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I have no coaching experience but I see the defensive line playing 7-8 different guys a lot to get them experience for future years and develop depth. They do none of that with the offensive line that I can see. Our prospects for 2020 with all of our young skill players coming back is going to be dependent on replacing 4 seniors in this year's O-line. Is this normal?

The offensive line and defensive line are completely different animals. D linemen have individual responsibilities most the time unless there is some game on with backers or other lineman. Offensive linemen on the other hand have to coordinate closely together in the split second the defense does something at snap of ball.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I was thinking yesterday... Has Purdy ever thrown a ball away? Like ever? I know he tried to at Baylor and it got picked. Besides that he always either takes a sack that he doesn't need to, or throws into coverage. Love the man but wouldn't mind seeing him throw a few into the benches!

I agree. I've said a few times this year as I got a beer, why didn't he throw that one away, it was obvious to me in hind sight that he should of threw it away. I guess a sophomore should completely understand that in the quarter second he has to make that decision. PIRATE! He will improve. His crazy competitive nature works against him. I would rather keep his competitiveness and slowly get better at this.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

While I agree he needs to just throw it away sometimes, I love that fact that he refuses to give up on a play most of the time. He has had a lot of great improvisation plays that kept ISU on the field, where other QBs would have thrown the ball away.

Yesterday, in the second half he was just sailing passes over guys, at least in the third quarter. Even on the INT, there was a guy open, just threw it over his head.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
While I agree he needs to just throw it away sometimes, I love that fact that he refuses to give up on a play most of the time. He has had a lot of great improvisation plays that kept ISU on the field, where other QBs would have thrown the ball away.

Yesterday, in the second half he was just sailing passes over guys, at least in the third quarter. Even on the INT, there was a guy open, just threw it over his head.
Purdy can do whatever he wants as far as I’m concerned, but I was just thinking that I literally don’t think he has ever thrown one away

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Net impact it’s been a benefit as he extends plays.

Since this thread is about the OL, some of the criticism the OL was getting was misplaced in the sense it was due to Purdy needing better pocket presence. He’s been so good (and our past QB performances so mediocre) that it’s easy to forget he’s not that experienced and can improve.

• Agree
Reactions: kkise

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Purdy can do whatever he wants as far as I’m concerned, but I was just thinking that I literally don’t think he has ever thrown one away

Seems like he did a couple times last year. This year I am not sure. The one he sorta threw away against Baylor was a disaster.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

No official recollection, but I think he has thrown it out of bounds a few times. Both last season and this. He does seem to be risking more sacks this year with more hang-in-pocket focus instead of tuck-and-run (also not an official observation, only from vague memory).

Edit/revision: So, basically, my response means almost no insight. :D

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Taking into account how much scrutiny O-Line has gotten by our fan base in past couple of seasons (often for valid reason), I've been happy with the performance this season so far. Pass protection has been solid, allows a few leak-through but not frequently enough to be a headache. Rush-blocking isn't as good, but maybe having a primary RB will help improve that.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Taking into account how much scrutiny O-Line has gotten by our fan base in past couple of seasons (often for valid reason), I've been happy with the performance this season so far. Pass protection has been solid, allows a few leak-through but not frequently enough to be a headache. Rush-blocking isn't as good, but maybe having a primary RB will help improve that.

Not an expert, but I think the OL has been better at run blocking this year. There were several runs at the beginning of the year where RBs were leaving a lot of yards out there by simply not reading the hole right. Add in Croney's determination to run into OL instead of around them, and it is easy to see that as far as the running game it hasn't all been on the OL.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Big improvement from the UNI game. That was not a praiseworthy performance. This line has done well since then. I'm not used to saying that, just like it took awhile to get used to having a legit defense.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I posted in the game thread that I thought they were blitzing a lot and a couple of folks said like only 4 times - glad I'm not the only one seeing it.
Yeah they rushed alot. In fact my amateur eye saw Kolar recognizing that he had one on one due to the blitz and was signaling it to Brock presnap and Brock was seeing it too but was trying to keep it chill but Kolar kept gesturing, and Brock hit him with a long pass but seemed to try keep it chill as to try not to draw attention to what they saw presnap.

• Informative
Reactions: cygrads

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Our OL has been really good recently. It seems it is really hard for the average fan to give an offensive line credit, but easy to be overly critical. Our line has played a big part in our improved offense. Breece is really talented but he wouldn’t have had two big games without really good line play. It is nice to finally have a good line. It has been a long time coming.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Is there a big drop off with the underclassmen, or are they going to be able to reload next year?
Hard to say. Downing is a R-Fr starting at LG. Newell is a R-So starting at C. I am curious if they move Downing outside next year or if he's more of a natural interior lineman. Guys like Ramos and Hudson have seen time in almost every game. I know the staff was very high on Ramos. Sean Foster is a guy that should be anchoring the line next year, but he just hasn't been able to get on the field the last two years. Guess that is a sign the young guys are just better.

The line has gotten better every year under Campbell, and with Manning back I think we will only continue to see them improve.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron