Prohm Press Conference Notes

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The one reason I said maybe Grillis Prohm mentioned him when asked who can shoot the ball for this team and then I think it was Robinson who said they kid is always studying film and trying to get better.

You just never know with freshmen. Who would have guessed this time last year that Haliburton would be the guy from that recruiting class who made the biggest and most immediate impact?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Disrespectful.
It's not that absurd. Hell, some publications have us 8 or 9. Preseason projections are all about what you lost, and your incoming recruiting class.

Iowa St lost their top 3 players, and have a mediocre recruiting class coming in (based on rankings.)

Texas will always be in top 5 just because of their incoming freshman.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's not that absurd. Hell, some publications have us 8 or 9. Preseason projections are all about what you lost, and your incoming recruiting class.

Iowa St lost their top 3 players, and have a mediocre recruiting class coming in (based on rankings.)

Texas will always be in top 5 just because of their incoming freshman.

Objectively? It is reasonable/maybe slightly low, especially with Bolton eligible.

Iowa State homer in me? Dis. Re. Spect. Ful.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I have no clue what to expect from this team. The Big 12 is always loaded, and from a talent standpoint, we're probably toward the bottom.

I like our guards. I like that our most talented players (Haliburton/Bolton) are young but experienced, and our role players (Nixon, Jacobson, Young) are grown men with tons of experience.

I think Prohm is right that Griffin and Conditt are the X factors. Our starting 5 is tournament-worthy, but our ceiling will depend on how ready those guys are to step up in conference play.

Prohm mentioned that we don't have a go-to guy at the end of the shot clock like last season, and instead, we'll use ball movement to get a shot. In theory, I like it, but I'm not sure how well that works. We need a guy that can consistently break down the defense or hit contested threes off the dribble.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I have no clue what to expect from this team. The Big 12 is always loaded, and from a talent standpoint, we're probably toward the bottom.

I like our guards. I like that our most talented players (Haliburton/Bolton) are young but experienced, and our role players (Nixon, Jacobson, Young) are grown men with tons of experience.

I think Prohm is right that Griffin and Conditt are the X factors. Our starting 5 is tournament-worthy, but our ceiling will depend on how ready those guys are to step up in conference play.

Prohm mentioned that we don't have a go-to guy at the end of the shot clock like last season, and instead, we'll use ball movement to get a shot. In theory, I like it, but I'm not sure how well that works. We need a guy that can consistently break down the defense or hit contested threes off the dribble.

Yeah, you need to have a bail-out guy. Those players are tough to identify sometimes. It's not enough just to have the ability; the guy has to want the ball in that situation and not be afraid to make the play. It's not for everyone. To me the three most likely candidates would be (in no particular order (Nixon, TH, and Bolton).

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Objectively? It is reasonable/maybe slightly low, especially with Bolton eligible.

Iowa State homer in me? Dis. Re. Spect. Ful.
Yeah, Bolton is the wildcard in the pre season rankings. I guess I'm not sure if this is a coaches or media poll. If it's media, I'm certain there's probably half that either don't know, or don't know how to rank, Bolton. Because he doesn't have a ranking number associated to him like the other incoming freshmen.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Big 12 regularly gets in 7, and many years 8 into the tourney due to the league quality. Considering the strength of the Non-con a 7th place finish should get ISU in.
Personally I feel the clones are closer to 4 than 8, but there are a lot of new faces getting big roles this year. Not surprised the media is being cautious with a 7th place ranking.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
TX returns their entire starting line up that won the NIT. kind of funny they're only ranked 4th.