Prohm Press Conference Notes

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Big 12 regularly gets in 7, and many years 8 into the tourney due to the league quality. Considering the strength of the Non-con a 7th place finish should get ISU in.
Personally I feel the clones are closer to 4 than 8, but there are a lot of new faces getting big roles this year. Not surprised the media is being cautious with a 7th place ranking.

Yeah. Look at it this way - they lost six contributors from last year's team, including a First Team All Big 12/honorable mention All-American in Marial Shayok. Of those six, five played on an NBA summer league team. Two of those five are on an NBA roster as of this morning.
Anything short of a historically good recruiting class for ISU was going to put them in the bottom half of the preseason rankings. Lost too much from last year and not enough known about this year's team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
7 seems good. Puts us on the bubble. I probably would have said 8 or 9 before Bolton was eligible.

Need to get B12 cheers out for the month of November/December so they can collectively build the resume.

Then hope they all get smoked otherwise.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If we can get effective, somewhat balanced minutes from Jake, Solo, Conditt and Zion for 4/5, that's gotta be a plus. ISU hasn't had the luxury of much depth at PF/C for ... I'm not sure how long it is now.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

aobie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2013
Seattle, WA
The 'team chemistry' thing....last year's team was all the rage when they put together some nice games in November and early January.

Chemistry looked fine in the B12 tourney.

Things can change.

Lots of new faces and names so I need to get my CyTV sub fired back up to watch some of the early games.

I think most basketball games are going to be ESPN+ this season, not CyTV, right?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
One last thought...can we please get back to Hilton Magic? The last two seasons have been brutal. Absolutely no energy in the building. It would be nice to have no more than one loss in there this season.

• Optimistic
Reactions: BigCyFan

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
One last thought...can we please get back to Hilton Magic? The last two seasons have been brutal. Absolutely no energy in the building. It would be nice to have no more than one loss in there this season.

Two years ago it was a bad team that tried hard. Last year it was a talented team that (for large portions of the season) just looked like five individuals taking turns with the ball every possession and had zero interest in defending.

Maybe this year's team will be talented AND easy to cheer for.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think most basketball games are going to be ESPN+ this season, not CyTV, right?

Many non-conference games on are on Cy TV as per usual then the ESPN+ thing starts happening in conference play.

Hope they do well so they get ESPN 2 instead of ESPNU, which I don't get as a channel. Trying to avoid Slinging it or other $30/month services.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

IMO Hilton Magic is centered around a team unleashed a bit to go crazy and the crowd willing them to it.

I'm not in the anti-Prohm school of thought but iirc he has a trend of calling time out just as the team is getting on a run, correct? That's gotta be a factor in the lack of feeling energy in the place.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
IMO Hilton Magic is centered around a team unleashed a bit to go crazy and the crowd willing them to it.

I'm not in the anti-Prohm school of thought but iirc he has a trend of calling time out just as the team is getting on a run, correct? That's gotta be a factor in the lack of feeling energy in the place.
I think that might be a very small piece of it, but I also think it has to do with the connection we had to some of those players during the years. The past two years there hasn't been a guy that has created a special relationship with the fans as guys like Monte, Naz, Matt and George did. I think Halliburton is starting to do that and is going to bring that energy back to Hilton this year. I also believe that a guy like Conditt is cut from a similar cloth.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Yeah, you need to have a bail-out guy. Those players are tough to identify sometimes. It's not enough just to have the ability; the guy has to want the ball in that situation and not be afraid to make the play. It's not for everyone. To me the three most likely candidates would be (in no particular order (Nixon, TH, and Bolton).

If TH has developed a consistent floater at a long 6’5 then that will be unstoppable.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I think that might be a very small piece of it, but I also think it has to do with the connection we had to some of those players during the years. The past two years there hasn't been a guy that has created a special relationship with the fans as guys like Monte, Naz, Matt and George did. I think Halliburton is starting to do that and is going to bring that energy back to Hilton this year. I also believe that a guy like Conditt is cut from a similar cloth.

I think George is a big time worker. I’m looking forward to his continued development.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

I would say it's more we've finally scored a basket to end the other team's run.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think that might be a very small piece of it, but I also think it has to do with the connection we had to some of those players during the years. The past two years there hasn't been a guy that has created a special relationship with the fans as guys like Monte, Naz, Matt and Georges did. I think Halliburton is starting to do that and is going to bring that energy back to Hilton this year. I also believe that a guy like Conditt is cut from a similar cloth.

That's maybe a part of it. We were spoiled with that group because four year guys who are that good are rare anymore in college basketball. It's tough to establish that connection with one and done players or guys who clearly have one eye on the next step while they're in Ames. I'm encouraged because looking at this year's group doesn't appear to have any of those issues. You have a good mix of some vets who have been around for a while and some young players who look like they'll be good but no so good that they'll bolt after one season.

Help Support Us

Become a patron