KXNO Podcasts

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The OP spends much more time and effort complaining about the problem as it would take to manage the problem simply by deleting things that he doesn't want to hear. I'm surprised that an engineer wants everything to run automatically rather than enjoy tinkering with it along the way. Just channel the energy of trying to eliminate the problem into managing the problem. And maybe pick particular ones to listen to when you mow/swim rather than just let them run back-to-back.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
The OP spends much more time and effort complaining about the problem as it would take to manage the problem simply by deleting things that he doesn't want to hear. I'm surprised that an engineer wants everything to run automatically rather than enjoy tinkering with it along the way. Just channel the energy of trying to eliminate the problem into managing the problem. And maybe pick particular ones to listen to when you mow/swim rather than just let them run back-to-back.
I do delete the duplicate content when I am not running about and have my phone handy. But it is often on the charger in another room playing over Bluetooth speakers. I have to drop what I'm doing & deal with this onerous content. It's worse when the podcasts are dowloaded while driving. I put up with this inconvenience for a long time and I'm tired of having to deal with it and want it fixed. At one time I stopped downloading the KXNO podcasts. But I'd rather get just put the redundant podcast in a separate subscription. I have never run into a podcast subscription that does what Downs does with the KXNO subscription.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
They were talking about my 1 star rating on Murph & Andy. But they quickly discarded my opinion like many on here did. What people fail to understand is the different use cases for different people and situations. Most people that aren't power podcasters won't understand those of us that are.

I pretty much play podcasts all day and even listen to them as I go to sleep. They load and play automatically without user intervention as I go through my day. It is equivalent to turning on the radio and leaving it on all day as you do stuff around the house or while driving around. Mine may be a unique use case, but I'm sure I'm not alone. Repeat content is a real nusaince in my use case. To fix the problem they could create a unique subscription & call it highlights or something.

It's not rocket science. I haven't run in to any other podcast that duplicates content under one subscription like KXNO does. I blame the Hawkeye, Andrew Downs for just not getting it. A Cyclone would never screw up something so simple like this. :D

How many times did you have to listen to this?

• Funny

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
They roasted you pretty good, funny stuff.

AD, I know you're reading this, can you post the second hour of Wednesday's show? Thanks...

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I GET you are saying and see the same thing. However, I just skip the duplicate material in the larger podcast. A few clicks in my steering wheel buttons and I am through it. NO big deal.

Personally, I like he breakout podcasts and listen to them first.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I do delete the duplicate content when I am not running about and have my phone handy. But it is often on the charger in another room playing over Bluetooth speakers. I have to drop what I'm doing & deal with this onerous content. It's worse when the podcasts are dowloaded while driving. I put up with this inconvenience for a long time and I'm tired of having to deal with it and want it fixed. At one time I stopped downloading the KXNO podcasts. But I'd rather get just put the redundant podcast in a separate subscription. I have never run into a podcast subscription that does what Downs does with the KXNO subscription.

OK, dude, I read the rest of your posts

1 - You comment "What people fail to understand is the different use cases for different people and situations." So, do you understand that some of us like the breakout podcasts? I don't have time to listen to the whole hour. It is really nice to flip right to Steve Prohm, listen to that, and move on with my day. I don't have time to listen to all three hours of the show to find what is most interesting to me

2 - Take a minute and Look ahead before you start the stream. Delete the duplicate content and you should be good to go. Unless you are streaming 'almost live', that should solve your problem.

3 - I understand if you are in the pool or on the mower, but otherwise, tell Alexa/Google to skip the podcast and move on. Or, in your car, push the skip button a few times and you are through it.

4 - If you are mowing, get a nice pair of bluetooth earmuffs - ~$50. Frankly, that is the only reason my kids are 'willing' to mow.

Personally, I like having the content and I vote that they keep doing it the way they are. I suspect that most people like it if KXNO hasn't received any complaints but your own.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
OK, so I'm starting to come around to OP's side. It seems like Mr. Downs over at KXNO could very easily create two lists -- one that has the "regular" shows (each show once, just the full show, nothing else) and one that has the "segments" (interviews, 15 minute features, etc.)

I kinda get his argument even though it doesn't impact me, if I start to listen to podcasts more I will likely do the same.

• Winner
Reactions: Psyclone

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
OK, dude, I read the rest of your posts

1 - You comment "What people fail to understand is the different use cases for different people and situations." So, do you understand that some of us like the breakout podcasts? I don't have time to listen to the whole hour. It is really nice to flip right to Steve Prohm, listen to that, and move on with my day. I don't have time to listen to all three hours of the show to find what is most interesting to me

2 - Take a minute and Look ahead before you start the stream. Delete the duplicate content and you should be good to go. Unless you are streaming 'almost live', that should solve your problem.

3 - I understand if you are in the pool or on the mower, but otherwise, tell Alexa/Google to skip the podcast and move on. Or, in your car, push the skip button a few times and you are through it.

4 - If you are mowing, get a nice pair of bluetooth earmuffs - ~$50. Frankly, that is the only reason my kids are 'willing' to mow.

Personally, I like having the content and I vote that they keep doing it the way they are. I suspect that most people like it if KXNO hasn't received any complaints but your own.
The quick reply to this is that the split out content could have their own subscription, the same as they do for Cyclone Insider and Hawkeye insider. That's probably because it's jointly owned content with the Register, but it works. I don't have to listen to Hawkeye stuff to get my Cyclone fix. With a separate subscription for featured content, you could listen to just the split out stuff, just the full shows, or both. You are in control.

The controls on my car don't operate my Android phone and Google voice commands aren't reliable without pausing the media first. It's a little frustrating that a Cadillac lags behind on these things, and it's even worse with an Android phone than an iPhone. The iPhone worked best connected via USB. I switched to Android last month and was disappointed I lost functionality when connected via USB. Neither phone played media over the car's bluetooth, so I bought a little bluetooth device that plugs in the car's audio port. I can pause the media easily, but that's about it. But the quality of the audio isn't as good over the bluetooth adapter so I usually connect directly with a wired audio connection. When I connect the audio directly, control is exclusively through the phone, other than volume.

When I'm listening to podcasts the phone display is usually either on the navigator or asleep, so there are button pushes involved to get to the media. Once you get to the podcast screen, you could pause it and use voice commands, but it's just as easy to go to the episode page to delete it. But none of that should be necessary if they'd just put that stuff in a separate feed.

Right now I have 32 podcast subscriptions that pretty much play continuously. I am adding and deleting podcasts all the time so those numbers often change. New podcasts sometimes come with many back episodes, depending on the type of podcast and how you choose to configure it when you subscribe. There can be dozens of episodes queued up at times. While one podcast is playing others could be downloading in the background. How many times do you want me to check to see if KXNO downloaded some duplicate content so I can delete it? And you want me to do this while driving? Even at home when playing via bluetooth over your audio system, you may have the phone in a different room as you're running around doing things. The phone isn't always within arm's reach. I may be playing these podcasts like you would a radio over your home audio system. That's why I talked about use cases. I have many different situations myself, whether I'm at home, in the car, mowing the lawn, swimming, or playing on a sleep timer when in bed. Pretty much the only time I have phone at arms reach while playing podcasts is when I'm sitting at my computer.

By the way, after getting scolded on KXNO, I decided I wasn't being fair to the hosts for something Andrew Downs is responsible for. So I revised my rating.

I thought some of the comments on the show were defensive and displayed a lack of desire to understand a loyal consumer's point of view. I learned from over four decades of work designing systems where the user interface is critical to your success, that you listen to what the users say. You may sit there and think they are crazy at first, but you put it on the list of issues to study, and disposition each one. The ones where you are in agreement are easy to come to agreement and find a solution. Then you get down to the hard ones where you think the other side is nuts. By then both sides have enough credibility to really look at it from the other person's point and view. You start listening instead of living in a world of denial. You usually learn the guy using the product has a valid point. Once in a while you educate them on how to use the product, but more often some design changes are required.

I am a perfectionist. Most engineers are. I'm not one to cuss, but when I'm occupied with something and I starting hearing a show repeated, cuss words fly through my mind. I drop what I'm doing, go get the phone and delete the offending content. I shouldn't have to do that. And I don't for any other podcast, but KXNO. Andy suggested I just delete the podcast. I've thought about that, but was hoping they would see the error of their ways first.

Last edited:

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
And another thing....:D

When you search for the KXNO podcasts, you get two podcasts for each show. One is the current podcast and one is obsolete. I don't know how these things work, but the obsolete podcasts need to be deleted. Or, better yet they could be turned into the KXNO featured content podcast. :p

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Not exactly related to the Podcasts but anyone catch that segment with Will Keeps and the new song for ISU. I like it. Anyone hear it or have a link? Very good interview. Nevermind, I think the video had been posted earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psyclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron