Dish Network dropped Fox channels this afternoon - the broadcast channel, FS1, BTN, FS2.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That will change. GIve it a year or two and there will be contracts coming

Unlikely. There are plenty of tech companies that don’t have streaming live tv services out there yet the competition is only going to heat up rather than devolve to a duopoly like the one that exists in the satellite tv realm.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Silly boomers stuck in the past, watching their Matlock.
That will change. GIve it a year or two and there will be contracts coming
Too much competition for it to happen. The only reason cable and dish got away with it was due to lack of competition. Is not going to happen. The first company that does it will lose a lot of customers and others won’t follow.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Cable companies use contracts because they have to capture the costs they have tied up in the equipment and infrastructure. You won't see contracts with streaming services because they don't have the high overhead.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Cable companies use contracts because they have to capture their costs they have tied up in the equipment and infrastructure. You won't see contracts with streaming services because they don't have the high overhead.

Who would have thought that launching things in to space and maintaining them would be super costly?

• Funny
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Just canceled my Sling. F'ers dgaf, just tried to rationalize it as "all providers have these situations". Ok, see ya.

Next!
Yeah, I think I've switched back and forth between the two sling packages about a dozen times, depending on whether ISU was on ESPN or FS, then add packages during March Madness.

At least I've got a week to figure out what the best option is assuming they don't come to an agreement and I need to get FS1 moving forward. Currently use Fire TV. Do not watch a whole lot of TV or movies, mostly live sports.

Need advice from the youngsters here.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah, I think I've switched back and forth between the two sling packages about a dozen times, depending on whether ISU was on ESPN or FS, then add packages during March Madness.

At least I've got a week to figure out what the best option is assuming they don't come to an agreement and I need to get FS1 moving forward. Currently use Fire TV. Do not watch a whole lot of TV or movies, mostly live sports.

Just try another service for their free trial period. If you like it, keep it. If not, you got the game and you still have your Sling.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

PS Vue or Hulu live are your two best options right now until the firetv gets youtube tv.

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
How much data should I expect to go through per month if I switch to streaming YouTube TV? I work from home and mostly watch sports and a little bit of Netflix. Wife watches a few shows on OTA channels as well.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
How much data should I expect to go through per month if I switch to streaming YouTube TV? I work from home and mostly watch sports and a little bit of Netflix. Wife watches a few shows on OTA channels as well.
If you have Centurylink internet it will go over your data limit. I ran into that when I had them and worked at home.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
8/28 to 9/26 I've used 538 GB. Wife and I both work fulltime, so that's nights/weekends with YouTubeTV/Netflix/HBO

• Informative
Reactions: 2ndCyCE

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think it is awfully naive to believe that these disputes won't be coming to streaming services in the near future. I actually think they could be worse. The problem isn't that cable and satellite have traditionally had little competition, the problem is the individual networks are basically a bunch of monopolies themselves.

If you need ESPN, or CBS, or Comedy Central in your lineup, you as a carrier basically had to bend over and pay what they asked for. Then you passed that cost on to the subscribers. The only thing saving the cable co here was the fact that they often had few competitors and switching was hard so people just paid up.

In the streaming world, the networks are still in the drivers seat. You are buying Sling or Hulu or YTTV to get stuff like ESPN or Fox. The problem for these providers is that the streaming market has been very aggressive on price and as many have mentioned in this thread switching services is very easy compared to the cable world. They can't just give the networks what they want and pass on the costs, or subs will just flock to the next service that hasn't taken the increase yet. Ultimately to stay a cost leader in the segment a streaming service will have to play hardball with the networks, and that often means some blackouts.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So I can't run my streaming service through my VCR?

Off topic a little, but I understand the Supreme Court case that allowed us to record television was decided 5-4.

We were one justice away from not being able to tape Knight Rider on the VCR

Sony v Universal Studios I believe.....

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I think it is awfully naive to believe that these disputes won't be coming to streaming services in the near future. I actually think they could be worse. The problem isn't that cable and satellite have traditionally had little competition, the problem is the individual networks are basically a bunch of monopolies themselves.

If you need ESPN, or CBS, or Comedy Central in your lineup, you as a carrier basically had to bend over and pay what they asked for. Then you passed that cost on to the subscribers. The only thing saving the cable co here was the fact that they often had few competitors and switching was hard so people just paid up.

In the streaming world, the networks are still in the drivers seat. You are buying Sling or Hulu or YTTV to get stuff like ESPN or Fox. The problem for these providers is that the streaming market has been very aggressive on price and as many have mentioned in this thread switching services is very easy compared to the cable world. They can't just give the networks what they want and pass on the costs, or subs will just flock to the next service that hasn't taken the increase yet. Ultimately to stay a cost leader in the segment a streaming service will have to play hardball with the networks, and that often means some blackouts.

Content generators will always be in the driver's seat. I'm happy to click "Cancel" on service A and then "Sign up" or "Restart" on service B in less that a minute.

Contract disputes will without question hit OTT services. Viacom pulled their stuff off Playstation Vue when I used it. It was still on another service so I could hop over there if I wanted to (I didn't care). No content generator will pull their content from every service