Gary Barta everybody

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
On the new this morning they stated a band member got punched and some band members were groped/inappropriately touched.

If that is true, those individuals should be ashamed of themselves and held accountable.

Fighting, groping and racial slurs. Interesting to hear what's actually true

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We'll see. If there's nothing serious behind it it will serve the purpose of making the AD look like a duffus.

If there is something serious....why not wait until you can release more detailed information. This jumping the gun on allegations is pretty standard throughout today's society so I really shouldn't be surprised.

It's just like the Dolph situation though... Small conversation taken place among a few other University peers and then make some knee jerk reaction. I'm not saying something serious couldn't have taken place but fak Gary, you can't just put this out there without some facts to go along with it. The guy can't get out of his own way and Iowa extended him. It really is pretty incredible.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
And, as I posted earlier, this is now public and both fan bases' tribal instincts are up. ISU fans now have an incentive not to report any bad behavior they saw to help their school save face. Iowa fans now have an incentive to exaggerate or even outright invent stories about what happened to help their school save face.

What Barta did was grossly incompetent and intentionally malicious and it shows he places embarrassing ISU above getting at the truth.
You have nailed it....

here it is:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I will say this much, I've attended Cyclone games and worn our colors at aTm, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Nebraska, and Iowa (numerous times) and I've never been treated as poorly as I have been in Iowa City and it's not even close. What a bush league move by Barta.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I think Barta has made his own bed by being incompetent with every other PR issue that has happened in that department, especially the issue that resulted in the University being sued (and losing) for discrimination. Barta must feel like he has to overreact to any situation like this in order to show the public he has learned a lesson.

IF the things floating out there are true that happened to the band, it's indefensible and the people that did it should be held accountable. The problem with this is, unless there is direct proof of who actually did it, what actually happened, etc. I'm not sure what the resolution can or should be.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Fighting, groping and racial slurs. Interesting to hear what's actually true
Wouldn't surprise me if the Iowa AD is floating all of these rumors out to put ISU in the worst light possible. They already put a press release that was vague so the ability to speculate was possible.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FatNTired

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Great journalism

Iowa’s band, like the team itself, was booed heavily by the Iowa State student section when it entered the stadium before kickoff.
Barta's PR allowed this type of journalism to create false narratives among Iowa fans.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Great journalism

Iowa’s band, like the team itself, was booed heavily by the Iowa State student section when it entered the stadium before kickoff.
All one needs do is consider the source. I'm surprised they didn't add a little human interest summary about "Iowa State Alumni who have been incarcerated" or "Iowa State Alumni descended from Hitler's Nazi leaders" or some such.

• Funny
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
On the new this morning they stated a band member got punched and some band members were groped/inappropriately touched.

If that is true, those individuals should be ashamed of themselves and held accountable.

They should also be vaccinated and disinfected to help prevent spread of Herkies..

95CLONE

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2014
NC Iowa
What do you expect is going to happen when you march into a stadium dressed like a giant bumblebee wearing a silly hat and playing a song about heaven not having any Busch Light!

• Optimistic
Reactions: FatNTired

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Barta always has to stroke the donors' egos, and this is how he does it. God forbid they look at his actual record for paying off lawsuits. They're just like children with a new flashy toy and forget everything else.