SUMMER SERIES: Favorite CyHawk memories

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I'm (2-5) in Cy-Hawk Games:

1989: Iowa 31 Iowa State 21 - My first Cy-Hawk Game in person! It was a beautiful day for starters. Plus, I was fresh out of the Army and started at ISU that summer. Since I was taking a Military Science class as an elective, I was eligible to be part of the Iowa-ISU ROTC "Football Run" from Iowa City to Ames and was on the field pre-game for that ceremony. Way Cool! The only bad thing about that day was the final result. I particularly remember a turnover right before the half that changed the momentum. Oh well, next year!

1990: Iowa 45 Iowa State 35 - I went to Iowa City with my brother for the game. Another exciting high scoring game. That was my first experience dealing with drunk Hawk fans in Kinnick in Cyclone garb. Yikes!

1991: Iowa 29 Iowa State 10 - I remember the score, but I do not remember how the game played out. PTSD was starting to set in anytime ISU played Iowa in football and Walden remained the HC, as I fell to (0-3).

1993: Iowa 31 Iowa State 28 - Fun game with an almost comeback until Bob Utter fumbled after ISU recovered an onside kick IIRC. Regardless of game memories, I slipped to (0-4) and had to purchase a new nut-cup.

1994: Iowa 27 Iowa State 9 - Hot as Hell, sitting in the end zone with two very good friends from Europe - who had tons of "Why" questions about the rules while I was roasting inside and out. lol. I still took football way too seriously back then. Slipped to (0-5). Good thing I bought that new nut cup in 1993, as it got quite the workout in 1994!

1999: Iowa State 17 Iowa 10 - Was living in Chicago at the time - returned to Ames for the game. OMG, what a magical night! I went with my wife (Cyclone Grad too) and her sister and brother-in-law. It was a beautiful night, a fun game, and it was magical watching the players pass the Cy-Hawk Trophy through the crowd! I'm not much of a tailgater, but we tailgated after the game and were one of the last to leave - as the Frat Boys were making their beer can pick up runs through the parking lots. (1-5).

2001: Iowa State 17 Iowa 14 - Game moved to Thanksgiving weekend due to 9/11 tragedy. So, I was able to go the game, as my wife and I returned to Iowa for Thanksgiving with her family. I went to the game with my brother-i-law and had a fine time. I really just remember that the weather was crappy, and ISU won but not much more. Although I do (apparently not) remember (clearly) Iowa (State) throwing a horrid inconvenient interception (correction edit thanks to @burn587 comment below) that was subsequently recovered by ISU after a Hawkeye fumble on the return in Cyclone territory (to save the game). (2-5)

2019: Have moved back to Iowa, and I am looking forward to my first Cy-Hawk Game in person in 18 years! I sure hope I keep my personal winning streak alive.

That's my Cy-Hawk Story!

Last edited:

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
2001 will always be the most memorable game for me. With the game getting pushed to the end of the season due to 9/11 it had even more urgency, and both teams had a very similar record. Biggest play of the game was Seneca throwing an interception late and WR Craig Campbell tracking down the defender and tomahawking the ball loose and recovering it. ISU was able to salt the game away after that.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
2002- I sat on the west side 4-5 rows up from the field and Iowa donors were pissed that another donor sold their tickets to an ISU fan. I received an onslaught of heckling from the Iowa fans that were well-lubed up after a day of drinking. I will never forget that 1st half and all the feelings that I felt while your team is being humiliated.

Then the 2nd half started and it was epic....

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
The seneca game in kinnick was a day i will never forget. My buddy and i were the only cyclones sitting in our section and the entire 1st half we were taunted. The dbags in front of us would turn around and scream at us constantly. To watch those mouthbreathers faces during that second half was the definition of priceless.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
In general the Cy-Hawk game is a bit like playing UNI, but the 2002 game was a good one to attend.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
2001 will always be the most memorable game for me. With the game getting pushed to the end of the season due to 9/11 it had even more urgency, and both teams had a very similar record. Biggest play of the game was Seneca throwing an interception late and WR Craig Campbell tracking down the defender and tomahawking the ball loose and recovering it. ISU was able to salt the game away after that.
I remember that now! :) Memory is not what it once was.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
2005 was a blast. Iowa came in with a top 10 ranking, a TON of loud, cocky fans, and the Cyhawk in hand. They left with 3 points, an ass kicking, a qb that knocked himself out of the game leading with his helmet after he threw a pick, and a bunch of fans that wouldn't make eye contact shuffling back through the parking lots...at least the ones that hadn't left with 12 minutes left in the game.

What a beatdown.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
2005 probably for me. Went to a bar in CR with buddies to watch who were all Hawk fans. Can't remember the bar...Moose something or other?

I was likely the only ISU fan in there and hadn't said much because ISU had sucked in their first game.

Didn't get too much gruff from anyone, but as the game wore on, I was the only person clapping as ISU had their day. A couple of the friends were only mad because Iowa's national title hopes had likely been dashed (again). I think both teams were pretty marginal and went 7-4 so yeah I guess the other teams that beat Iowa did the same?

Reactions: ca4cy

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Loved the pod. Most of the games on Blum’s list I was old enough to remember (maybe excluding the streak-ender in 1998) which made them resonate much more with me.

I think everyone’s favorite CyHawk games are going to vary depending on age, location, if they were attending the game/watching on tv, etc.

My first game in Kinnick Stadium was the Jake Knott interception game in 2012, so that one will always be extra sweet for me. The amount of crap I got before the game was endless (even had a mostly full beer can chucked at me) but walking out of Kinnick around a bunch of pissed off Hawk fans while the ISU fans chanted “Let’s Go State” was priceless.

I was also a student at ISU for the Steele Jantz triple OT game on 2011, so that has to be at the top of my list. I vividly remember the 2005 game as a kid and Drew Tater Tot knocking himself out of the game. The Shaggy game in 2007 was extra memorable as well because of past ISU kicking woes and finally getting a win with Chizik.

No matter what happens this year, I have a feeling it’s going to be a very memorable weekend. Can’t remember a CyHawk game in my lifetime where the build-up was as big as this one.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
1. 2002. Was watching at home with a bunch of neighbors, party was roughly a 50/50 split. Second half was so much fun.
2. 2011. Junior year or college, 3OT game, a LOT of nerve wracking game-on-the-line plays.
3. 2005. Big upset, just fun to watch us kick their asses. I wasn’t allowed to tag along for the Iowa game as a kid so just watching on TV, but still exciting.
4. 2014. My only trip to Kinnick with a small group of friends. We were 0-2 and terrible so went in with no expectations. Because of that, didn’t really get the “Iowa City treatment” before the game outside of the expected heckling. Then had a blast that night celebrating the win.
5. 2001. Another close game, liked that one just because it was such a unique setting on thanksgiving weekend

Reactions: BCoffClone125

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron