photos from Iowa State - Iowa in the 1980's

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Great pics! the 1981 game was the first in Ames in over 40 years. The crowd was so amped and afterwards, Hawk fans were offended at how they were treated. The Des Moines Register opinion page went so far as to call it "The Kindergarten Crowd". It was awesome!!

1982- in Iowa City, Frankie Leaks makes an amazing run after catch to score and Chris Boskey tackled two guys at the same time in the backfield.

Some great uniforms from Duncan. Between 1982 and 1983, you see the change in the gold that ISU was wearing. Roger Gade and Criner went to a Green Bay shade of yellow as opposed to that sweet gold.

GREAT STUFF!

• Agree
Reactions: johnstoncy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Fun seeing how much the background has changed. Full (or no) hillsides. Dark green real grass. Fans wearing Cyclone gear.

johnstoncy

Oct 18, 2006
Johnston
www.rtsports.com
Great pics! the 1981 game was the first in Ames in over 40 years. The crowd was so amped and afterwards, Hawk fans were offended at how they were treated. The Des Moines Register opinion page went so far as to call it "The Kindergarten Crowd". It was awesome!!

1982- in Iowa City, Frankie Leaks makes an amazing run after catch to score and Chris Boskey tackled two guys at the same time in the backfield.

Some great uniforms from Duncan. Between 1982 and 1983, you see the change in the gold that ISU was wearing. Roger Gade and Criner went to a Green Bay shade of yellow as opposed to that sweet gold.

GREAT STUFF!

The series restarted in 1977 and the Hawks wouldn't play us in Ames until the 1981 game. A lot of pent up anger was unleashed on the unsuspecting Hawk fans that day!

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I really like that "ISU==" helmet.

Also, seeing the turn at both Jack Trice and Kinnick makes my body hurt...looks like my grandparents back patio in the 80s (carpet over concrete, lol).

Thanks for posting, love seeing this high quality photos!

Help Support Us

Become a patron