Offensive play calling

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It was really bad, and that's being kind.

But we should have expected it. I've been saying for a long time that this offense has never been good under CMC. He was lucky to have Monty and Butler to rely on last year, but even with that it was ranked like 95th in the country out of 129 teams.

I was hoping Manning would be better than he was before since going to Indy, but it appears not. The playcalling was horrible today.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Some of the worst play calling I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of atrocious play calling as an ISU fan.

I get that they were probably thinking they were good enough to hold back a bit and maybe even try some different things they might not usually do, but after the 1st quarter... hell, even the 2nd quarter, it's time to go into kill mode and do whatever it takes to get some distance between you and them.

The first 2-3 incomplete passes on 3rd and 1, and the pass on 4th and 1 was just laughable.

Then, when it was 3rd and 6, we would run the ball instead of pass. o_O

kansascy

Apr 28, 2006
Wichita, KS
I was hoping Manning would be better than he was before since going to Indy, but it appears not. The playcalling was horrible today.
I started to get concerned earlier this week when I listened to the Manning interview and he said this was CMC's offense and he was just tweaking it a bit. Today I think we saw the same issues as past years, it takes a few games to get the offense to its full potential.

• Winner
Reactions: DarkStar

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Did we really take any shots down field? Maybe the one to Akers which was 5 yards out of bounds. Don't know how we can gauge missing Butler (not saying we won't down the road) when we didn't throw any Butler type targets.

I don’t know if we would have been any better off with Butler this game. He did a lot of damage with Purdy getting out of the pocket and he just didn’t get out of the pocket all game.

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
When purdy came in last year it sparked us because he brought the threat of a run and it loosened things up. Teams just couldn't pin their ears back and come after us. Today im pretty sure purdy ran past the line of scrimmage once and he scored a td that was called back. Please tell me we aren't eliminating purdys running from the gameplans.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Bold strategy in this league if the goal is to make it to Dallas. This isn’t the Big 10 West.

It allowed us to win 8 games last year and have our biggest loss be 10 points. If we try to run and gun with the big boys but have less talent they will kill us. You can’t play their game with less talent and win, you have to be different.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Guys...Campbell will always be defense first and more like Ferentz on offense than anyone would like.

Especially against Purple Hawks.

• Agree
Reactions: Baseline23