***WBB: 2020 Recruiting Thread***

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Ha, probably not although Ivey was a big piece of ND over the last 10 years. Muffet has taken ND to the Final Four 7 times in the last 10 years. She's been talked of as leaving for some time, sort of overdue actually, although i am not sure anyone thought it would be for an NBA position!

I do find it interesting that if ND lands Clark that it would be their highest ranked recruit ever. Found that interesting. Would have thought with all of their success that they would have had some Top 5 to 10 recruits along the way. Not like they aren't always a Top 10, or close to that, class each year.

according to whom? ESPN? - Prospectsnation had Jackie Young as #2, Arike at #5, Sam Brunelle as #5, Anaya Peoples at #8, Mabry #6

• Agree
Reactions: StClone
P

Pollard4Life

Common perception here is that Clark just "committed" to ND and just added ISU and Iowa for PR. Yet I know of three sets of parents of her AAU teammates who say ISU is definitely in the picture. Dowling coach Meyer has been close with ISU staff (especially Steyer) since her coaching days at Nevada.
Don't fall over dead if she picks ISU.

Caitlyn's decision is going to have nothing to do with Coach Meyer's coaching days in Nevada. Coach Meyer would never, ever leverage her relationship with Caitlyn to push her toward any University or coaching staff.

P

Pollard4Life

As mentioned by another poster, it is well known is the DSM high school scene that she wants to go to Notre Dame.

You make it sound like she is waiting for an offer. She has an offer from Notre Dame and is still weighing if she wants to play that far from home. The reason Iowa is being more heavily considered than Iowa State is she wants it to be easier for her family to attend all of her games and not just her home games.

She is trying to decide if playing for a championship is more important than her family being able to attend more of her away games.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
The reason Iowa is being more heavily considered than Iowa State is she wants it to be easier for her family to attend all of her games and not just her home games.

Take it for what it's worth, but I've heard thru the grapevine Bluder is offering Caitlin Clark "free rein" should she select EIU, possibly in slight panic over a sparse recruiting group for 2020 (though she still has plenty of time to remedy that). ISU already has four top-100 verbals in the class, including a highly touted PG who would provide direct competition for immediate playing time. ND obviously has a deep and competitive squad. It's not hard to understand why CC would be seriously considering Iowa...

Disclaimer: I have no inside information, other than living in Iowa City and having friends who are season ticket holders for women's basketball. Yes, a friend of a friend of a friend knows Lisa Bluder... :)

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
You make it sound like she is waiting for an offer. She has an offer from Notre Dame and is still weighing if she wants to play that far from home. The reason Iowa is being more heavily considered than Iowa State is she wants it to be easier for her family to attend all of her games and not just her home games.

She is trying to decide if playing for a championship is more important than her family being able to attend more of her away games.
This could be the case. But, I think she is 90% sure where she is going and has no reason to announce until go time. With Paige Bueckers going to UCONN, and even if not, there would still be room for her on ND's roster. Only other Top 20 possible guard recruit ND has connections with is 5'7" Deja Kelly.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 person
P

Pollard4Life

Sadly, from an incredibly reliable source, Caitlin is not considering Iowa State.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Sadly, from an incredibly reliable source, Caitlin is not considering Iowa State.
I take your source for what it's worth and agree. Even more sadly she actually put us in her final three as a "feel good." Honestly, I think we got as good of players coming in. Lexi for one.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 person

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I take your source for what it's worth and agree. Even more sadly she actually put us in her final three as a "feel good." Honestly, I think we got as good of players coming in. AKA Lexi for one.

I love our 2020 class. We got alot of elite talent imo.

• Agree

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
If she does not go to ND I will be surprised. I think that was her first choice from the beginning and unless UCONN called she was going there.

P

Pollard4Life

She must be feeling a pull to Iowa otherwise she would have committed to ND by now. Only my own speculation tells me her brain is telling her ND but her heart is telling her Iowa. She comes from a family centric home and playing as many games in front of them is very important. ISU has too much talent coming in for her to have the keys, which makes Iowa a much better fit for her.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
She must be feeling a pull to Iowa otherwise she would have committed to ND by now. Only my own speculation tells me her brain is telling her ND but her heart is telling her Iowa. She comes from a family centric home and playing as many games in front of them is very important. ISU has too much talent coming in for her to have the keys, which makes Iowa a much better fit for her.

I agree with this - as was mentioned early the Iowa selling pitch has been it will be her team and they will revolve everything around her for four years, at ISU she MAY have to fight just to be in the starting lineup! ND would be an even tougher sell from the competition for playing time stand point.

CySmitty

Jan 3, 2008
Longmont, CO
Iowa State would be a better option as it is close to home and gives her a good team to play with. Its to bad she would have really rounded out the class.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I agree with this - as was mentioned early the Iowa selling pitch has been it will be her team and they will revolve everything around her for four years, at ISU she MAY have to fight just to be in the starting lineup! ND would be an even tougher sell from the competition for playing time stand point.

She will start for any of the three teams.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Iowa State would be a better option as it is close to home and gives her a good team to play with. Its to bad she would have really rounded out the class.
Opting for Iowa over Notre Dame? I am going to wait this out, absorb her final selection, and comment then.

• Winner
Reactions: Praxis Farms

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb

If this is the reason she would chose Iowa over ISU then I would not want her as I want players who are willing to fight for a spot in the starting line up. I have never thought she is the kind of player who would walk away from competition.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

Honestly if her heart is set on Notre Dame, she should go there. Making it easy for parents to attend games IMO is a crappy deciding reason to choose a university.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
They could always move to South Bend. ;)

Their son is on the Iowa State football team. :) I think the ISU connection is stronger than people think. If the Clark's are letting on as pollard4life suggests, then it is a shame because Bill is still holding a scholarship for her that can be freed up for a 2021.

• Agree

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Their son is on the Iowa State football team. :) I think the ISU connection is stronger than people think. If the Clark's are letting on as pollard4life suggests, then it is a shame because Bill is still holding a scholarship for her that can be freed up for a 2021.

That would make for a rare (for us) full house of 15 scholarships assuming no one transfers.

mred's most awesome chart:
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/wbb-recruiting.220927/page-16#post-6639986

Will be interesting divvying up playing time this season. We may have 11 or 12 players that look to be good enough to play Big 12 hoops and be worthy of PT but we can't play that many. Already four freshman, counting the redshirts, looking for PT with three starters returning.

BTW, not meaning to feed the playing time is an issue with Clark next year even with 4 or 5 new players coming in. She'll probably start anywhere she goes. Five star PG's don't sit or need to develop like a five star post going to a blue blood program.

Last edited: