Star Wars episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I just don't see how they're going to wrap this up. What happens at the end even if "good guys" prevail? The first order will still exist even if Rey "wins" -- there will still be thousands of star destroyers and officers, etc.

I know in a way you could say the same about ROTJ, but that storyline wrapped up so well ... redemption of Vader, he still died, Emperor killed ... just seemed more "done."

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Apparently they showed a sizzle reel at D23 that showed Rey in a dark cloak with a double red light saber.

So what is worth b*tching about the most: Red Stormtroopers, Palpatine returns, or Rey potentially turning? All I know is we are beyond the point where we can get excited about anything associated with the movies. It all just sucks now.
“We” who?

Without possibly knowing any context for any of that, you’re just looking for something to whine about.

I’m excited. I’ve been a fan since 1977. And Episode 9 comes out on my birthday.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I just don't see how they're going to wrap this up. What happens at the end even if "good guys" prevail? The first order will still exist even if Rey "wins" -- there will still be thousands of star destroyers and officers, etc.

I know in a way you could say the same about ROTJ, but that storyline wrapped up so well ... redemption of Vader, he still died, Emperor killed ... just seemed more "done."

I think even more so with how they created the "First Order" they set themselves up for failure. That's been my biggest issue with the new trilogy. Why create a First Order at all? Why wouldn't the Empire stay mostly together, as in the now non-canon EU?

How do they end it in a satisfying way, especially when the First Order just feels lame and unimportant? Defeating the First Order feels pointless and unexciting, so I think they will most likely go in the "bring balance to the Force" direction. It makes sense with the name "Rise of Skywalker" as well. I don't think that Rey will be retconned into a child of the Skywalker family, so we are looking at either a redemption arc for Kylo Ren or Force Ghost Luke plays a big part, finally having learned the right way to use the Force.

Apparently there are a lot of people who disagree, but I've never seen Star Wars as a story of the Skywalker family, so I was disappointed when the title was revealed. It felt like at the end of TLJ the story of the Skywalker family was pretty well wrapped up. Kylo Ren is the only known person with Skywalker blood left alive and he seems to have made his choice that he will not return to calling himself a Skywalker. I really hope they don't retcon Rey's family, or introduce a new character like Vader's secret child. I'll still see the movie though.

Reactions: khardbored

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
So, I normally warn anybody away from any of the Star Wars novels, but the Thrawn Trilogy (starting with Heir to the Empire) could set up how it's handled. They take place after ROTJ but were written in 1991. In it, Thrawn takes over for the Emperor as sort of a master tactician and Luke and the Rebels are taking it to the remnants of the Empire which is still a very formidable foe. Seriously great stuff, and they found a way to work Thrawn into the Star Wars Rebels animated series.

I read the Thrawn novels in the early 90's too, though I've forgotten a lot of it!!!

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://io9.gizmodo.com/meet-2-mysterious-new-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-1838494747

Quotes from the article:

When Lucasfilm wanted to reveal new characters like Zorri Bliss or Jannah from Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker, we saw their images in the pages of Vanity Fair. Today, two more new characters got their big, albeit slightly less regal, reveals as toys on a YouTube livestream.

Those characters are aliens by the names of Boolio and Babu Frik, who’ll each be appearing in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Boolio was revealed as part of the new Lego Millennium Falcon set and Babu Frik was revealed as an accessory with the C-3PO Hasbro Black Series...

...During the livestream everyone involved was very cautious to say literally nothing about Boolio. That, coupled with being part of the Falcon set, suggests he may play a fairly important part of the story...

...As for Babu Frik, he’s a droid builder and apparently one of Anthony Daniels’ favorite new characters.

cc9vhzh2bvbemrtqy4wd.jpg

https://io9.gizmodo.com/watch-me-build-legos-massive-7-500-piece-millennium-fal-1803135907

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
In case anyone was interested, these tickets are on presale now. I just got tickets to the first showing at the Altoona Cinemark.

Reactions: Aclone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Also, last trailer will be shown tonight on ESPN Monday night football!

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Also, last trailer will be shown tonight on ESPN Monday night football!

Yes the tickets weren't supposed to go live until the trailer aired. I just happened to check my Cinemark app at the start of the MNF game at 7 and the tickets were live. The 6 PM showing was about half sold out already.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Bringing back Palpatine seems totally unimaginative to me. If a powerful bad guy is going to be brought in to make the bad guys look stronger (like how Vader had Palpatine), then I would have much preferred that Darth Plagueis be brought in. That would have been an awesome book-end to that story that Palpatine told Anakin about Plagueis.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Bringing back Palpatine seems totally unimaginative to me. If a powerful bad guy is going to be brought in to make the bad guys look stronger (like how Vader had Palpatine), then I would have much preferred that Darth Plagueis be brought in. That would have been an awesome book-end to that story that Palpatine told Anakin about Plagueis.
When they brought JJ back you knew it was going to be another reimagining of the original trilogy like TFA. It almost looks like they are recreating the throne room scene from Return of the Jedi in that last few seconds of the trailer. Whatever, I enjoyed TFA so I'm excited to see what JJ has done.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There are rumors out there of MAJOR (e.g., 50%+ of screen time, think like Solo but only worse) re-shooting that might still be going on... with two months to go.

Might just be nasty rumors, though. The fandom is toxic with this one.

Heck, that sounds like a leisurely timetable compared to what I remember about the final production and post-production of A New Hope. Maybe they'll pull it off.

But with the ultimate hack in charge, I have my doubts.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I tried, and mostly stayed away from spoilers for TLJ, but this time I'm going completely dark. I want to be completely surprised when I walk into the theater December 19. If you go back and watch some of TFA trailers, JJ does a really nice job of misleading and adding footage that doesn't even appear in the movie. My guess would be it is the same scenario for this movie.

One piece that has be intrigued is when the little fella is working on 3PO and the "I'm getting one last look" "At my friends" lines. I think the "At my friends" line is probably either not in the movie or is not in the same line of dialogue as the "one last look" line. 3PO has had his memory wiped multiple times and my guess is that little dude is digging in there to see what he can find before wiping his memory one last time.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If you go back and watch some of TFA trailers, JJ does a really nice job of misleading and adding footage that doesn't even appear in the movie. My guess would be it is the same scenario for this movie.

Remember Finn with the lightsaber on the posters? I 100% thought Finn was the Jedi heading in to that movie.

As to reshoots, sometimes it's good. It's also totally normal on these huge tentpole movies.

I'll remain excited but hopeful more for the future entries into this universe. I'm very excited to leave the Skywalkers behind.