Friday OT - Where The Red Fern Grows

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Thanks I will look into them! I will probably start with the trilogy that is all done (PTSD after A Song of Ice and Fire ;))

Mistborn is very good (good enough that I read the others once I found out there were more- also, it's a sequel, not prequel). He just comes up with very unique worlds, and very unique magic/powers for its inhabitants. Someone on CF sent me that direction, and I'm happy to be able to pass that favor on.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Saw many mentioned. These came to mind, with artwork from when I read them.

9780679804994.jpg

563899.jpg

I LOVED both of these. Oh my gosh, I'd forgotten about The Dollhouse Murders! I guarantee that title/premise would not fly for the fourth grade crowd these days.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I LOVED both of these. Oh my gosh, I'd forgotten about The Dollhouse Murders! I guarantee that title/premise would not fly for the fourth grade crowd these days.

Going down a rabbit hole here but there was a time when children read scary books because they enjoyed being scared and I'm not sure that's the case now as we find new ways to deflect actual feelings.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Boxcar Children/Family I can't remember what the actual title was. Some are saying there was a series. I only ever knew about one book.

Have Spacesuit Will Travel was a Heinlein book for adolescents. I read that several times. It also allowed me to branch out into other Heinlein books as I got older.

The Dog In My Life - One of those Scholastic Book things for like 35 cents.

Mr. Popper's Penguins.

There were several books I believe by William Campbell Gault - based on teens who were into cars and jalopies/restoration/hop-up that were set in Ankeny Iowa. I don't specifically remember any titles. I am surprised no one else has mentioned them.

Bonnie And Clyde - Their story as told by Bonnie's Mother and Clyde's Sister.
That was the first Heinlein book I read too. Found out that some molecules can migrate through other materials (which is why rubber balloons filled with helium always deflate).

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Well we made to post #6 before penthouse forum showed up, I’m so proud.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
The Stormlight Archive is very, very cool, but it's not finished, so I'm still waiting on the next one. That's probably my favorite. The Mistborn Trilogy is very good as well, and I've also read the prequel trilogy that was decent too.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/49075-the-stormlight-archive
Finally got around to picking up the Mistborn books. A few days later and I am already 3/4 of the way through the 1st book. Thanks for the suggestion!

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
21 Balloons
Watership Down
Wrinkle in Time
Where the Red Fern Grows
Hardy Boys
Black Stallion
I loved The Black Stallion and all the sequels. I wore out my copies reading them over and over.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron