Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
And yes, we've got a serous MCU lull ahead of us, not only with the movies, but also with new TV seasons. In fact, I don't think there is one single new MCU anything between now and Black Widow coming out on May 1st. That is pretty unprecedented.

For the general public I think that will be good. For us super nerds we can keep watching but I do get concerned about the general viewer getting some fatigue.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
So I finished up Legion and it had a satisfactory end. This season was certainly less exhausting than the seasons before. Pace was faster which helped but still had some slow moments. It was fun seeing Charles Xavier portrayed in a different way. I felt his inclusion was worth season 3 alone.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
My three personal favorites are the Daredevil, Punisher and Agents of Shield series. The biggest issues you'll run into there are that the first couple seasons of Agents of Shield are a little rough (especially first half of 1st season), so you've got to do some trudging, and then The Punisher S2 isn't super great, even though the action is amazing. Don't discount Agent Carter as a little fun historical sidebar. Not only are the seasons short for Agent Carter, but the first season delves deep into the history of the Black Widow program, which will likely tie nicely with the upcoming Black Widow movie.

And yes, we've got a serous MCU lull ahead of us, not only with the movies, but also with new TV seasons. In fact, I don't think there is one single new MCU anything between now and Black Widow coming out on May 1st. That is pretty unprecedented.
The biggest issue for me with Punisher season 2 was that the best episode was the first episode. The bar fight was amazing. I also didn’t like how they had to go back to the well with Billy being the villain again. He would’ve had more impact if they would’ve let him sit on the sidelines for a season or two. Ben Barnes is an amazing actor but I hate when comic book movies/shows feature the villain more than the hero. It would’ve been nice to have a season of Frank traveling around taking out a different group.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/spiderman-far-home-rerelease-new-footage/

Spider-Man Far From Home is getting a theatrical re-release with 4 minutes of extra footage. I was fine with the Endgame re-release regardless of how disappointing it ended up being for those that went. Now, with this, it is just starting to get annoying as a money-grab. Why not just add these 4 minutes in to the original cut??? But whatever, I'll live with it as long as they for sure add it to the blu-ray home release, because I'll be irate if they don't at least add it there.

Its worth noting that if you are also annoyed by this, don't blame Marvel Studios. Marvel Studios was 100% behind the Endgame re-release, but with Far From Home, this is 100% a Sony decision, so there is different heads behind both of these things.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
To me, they should include special scenes in movies that only air in the theaters to encourage the Movie Theater experience. But I agree, the releasing it again **** is annoying. I get why they did it with endgame to push for that record and it finishing such a long and fun experience. The spiderman one is a money grab plain and simple.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
To me, they should include special scenes in movies that only air in the theaters to encourage the Movie Theater experience. But I agree, the releasing it again **** is annoying. I get why they did it with endgame to push for that record and it finishing such a long and fun experience. The spiderman one is a money grab plain and simple.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Endgame one was an afterthought in order to reach the record, which also showed by how poor the extra content was. However, with the Spider-Man one, it wreaks of being planned all along to do this, which I do not like.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-...nter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/

Ugggggghhhhhhhhhhhh. A new Disney-Sony deal for future Spider-Man movies is apparently officially dead. Wow, such a big big big disappointment, especially with how he was set up through Spider-Man: Far From Home for future Avengers movies in the wider universe. Seems to me like greed on both sides won out in this case. Personally, I always thought Sony was on the better end of the deal with Marvel to some extent. However, at the same time, with Marvel wanting 50-50 moving forward, I consider that somewhat tipping the scales the other direction to unfairly favor Marvel. Such a shame. Lets just hope maybe this thing isn't completely over and is more of just a negotiating play by one or both of the sides. We see this kind of thing happen all the time with actor negotiations, with the perfect example being Michael Keaton as The Vulture. That deal was apparently dead until it wasn't.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-...nter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/

Ugggggghhhhhhhhhhhh. A new Disney-Sony deal for future Spider-Man movies is apparently officially dead. Wow, such a big big big disappointment, especially with how he was set up through Spider-Man: Far From Home for future Avengers movies in the wider universe. Seems to me like greed on both sides won out in this case. Personally, I always thought Sony was on the better end of the deal with Marvel to some extent. However, at the same time, with Marvel wanting 50-50 moving forward, I consider that somewhat tipping the scales the other direction to unfairly favor Marvel. Such a shame. Lets just hope maybe this thing isn't completely over and is more of just a negotiating play by one or both of the sides. We see this kind of thing happen all the time with actor negotiations, with the perfect example being Michael Keaton as The Vulture. That deal was apparently dead until it wasn't.

Which side leaked that the deal was dead? I have to think that this is just one of them trying to put some public pressure on the other to get a deal done. Too much money at stake for Marvel or Sony to just walk away.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
50-50 is probably too much. However, Far From Home was Sony's biggest movie of all time. And let's be honest with ourselves, Marvel movies are basically the only sure thing at the box office right now. I'd love to see Watts and Holland come out and say they are going to be done unless they work it out in the MCU. Holland has been Spider-Man in 6 movies now, it's launched his career, and he's probably the best young star in the MCU. If it's just Sony's Spider-Verse, he's probably good for 2 more movies. If he can spin it in the MCU, he could be making bank as Spidey for much, much longer.
The deal falling apart is a lose-lose situation. But I agree, Sony needs Marvel more than Marvel needs Sony.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/spider-man-mcu-sony-disney-agreement-1203308069/

Looks like the latest is that there are now mixed reports out there with some saying that negotiations are still ongoing. Like I stated above with the original article saying the deal was off, this wreaks of being an intentionally leaked negotiating play by one of the sides. Again, we see this happen with actor negotiations all the time as news leaks are used all the time as pawns in the negotiation game. Regardless, I really hope some type of deal can finally get done. Truthfully, I think the true "fair" deal should end somewhere in between the old deal and this 50-50 deal Disney is supposedly wanting right now.

One outside factor at play that while unlikely, is still very much out there is the fact that Sony Pictures has been rumored to be up for possible sale for a few years now. They have been struggling financially for a while now. This means there is a chance at any time that either Disney or somebody else could consider acquiring them. The reason why I consider it unlikely for Disney being the one comes from a combination of Sony not having enough attractive IP, as well as likely hitting regulator monopoly hurdles with yet ANOTHER big acquisition. I still think the wisest business choice for Sony would be to merge up with a streaming platform in desperate need of IP like Netflix. Sony's biggest IP right now is Spider-Man, Men In Black, Jumanji, The Karate Kid, Ghostbusters and their animated properties.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/08/21/spider-man-sony-disney-deal-renegotiate-kevin-feige/

Here is Sony's recent statement on the matter according to Comicbook.com:

"Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise," Sony shared in a statement to ComicBook.com. "We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live-action Spider-Man film. We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own."

It added, "Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue."

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I haven't seen Far From Home so I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but it sounds like Spider-Man has been built up for a significant role going forward.

However, the lack of Spider-Man involvement in Phase 4 and no mention of him at Comic-Con seemed to hint that this was coming. I'm not really worried too much for the immediate future of the MCU as we still have 5 films to look forward to in the next 2 years, established franchises like Black Panther and GotG returning shortly after that and new titles like Blade, X-Men and Fantastic Four. That last property could be really interesting as Spider-Man has a recent history with FF in the comics. I personally think FF does not translate well to the big screen (the characters and superpowers make far more sense as an animated film or series) but the timing could be right for an older Tom Holland Spider-Man to join the MCU-iteration of FF. Box Office numbers would go crazy on opening weekend if this were to happen.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Sorry, I know this is a little off the subject, but has America gone overboard with super-hero mind-numbing bs, or am I off base here? I really didn't want to start a new thread on this, but I went through new tv programs and movies, and than stuff has gone off the charts. I just don't get it.

• Disagree
Reactions: alarson

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Sorry, I know this is a little off the subject, but has America gone overboard with super-hero mind-numbing bs, or am I off base here? I really didn't want to start a new thread on this, but I went through new tv programs and movies, and than stuff has gone off the charts. I just don't get it.
A little sure, but seeing as I largely love the genre, I am thankful. I am sure a time will come that I will say the same thing about the next generation of movie concepts provided they aren't all remakes.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I don't call them bs, but yeah, we're either pushing it to its limit or already have. The over-saturation combined with getting a conclusion with Endgame is going to finish this off pretty soon.

Sure, Marvel has Phase 4 sitting there, but they aren't an exciting group of movies, unless they reveal a really powerful hook to bring the crowd along.

• Disagree
Reactions: State43

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
A little sure, but seeing as I largely love the genre, I am thankful. I am sure a time will come that I will say the same thing about the next generation of movie concepts provided they aren't all remakes.
I watch some of it too, but I largely enjoy the more historical stuff. As a kid I was attracted to it as the next kid, but it is losing my interest more and more.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I don't call them bs, but yeah, we're either pushing it to its limit or already have. The over-saturation combined with getting a conclusion with Endgame is going to finish this off pretty soon.

Sure, Marvel has Phase 4 sitting there, but they aren't an exciting group of movies, unless they reveal a really powerful hook to bring the crowd along.
It is such a pervasive theme in our country and culture, everywhere you look in the movies, on television, it makes me wonder if it is totally healthy or indicative of some of the other weird things that are going on.