Michigan Vacation

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Took a road trip out to Michigan with the family last week. My what a pleasant surprise! Started out visiting South Haven which is a nice little tourist town by Lake Michigan. Moved up to Muskegon and toured a really cool WW2 navel museum with a working submarine. Them went dune buggy riding at Silver lake. Saw some additional huge dunes at Sleeping Bear National Park near Traverse City. Spent a wonderful day on Mackinac Island where motor vehicles are not allowed. Saw the lock system at Sault St. Marie on the Canadian border. Finished up with a wonderful boat tour of Pictured Rock National sea shore on Lake Superior.

We went through Door County in Wisconsin on the way back, but that was almost disappointing in comparison. I have heard a lot of good things about Michigan and understand why now!

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Took a road trip out to Michigan with the family last week. My what a pleasant surprise! Started out visiting South Haven which is a pleasant little tourist town of Lake Michigan. Moved up to Muskegon and toured a really cool WW2 navel museum with a working submarine. Them went dune buggy riding at Silver lake. Saw some additional huge dunes at Sleeping Bear National Park near Traverse City. Spent a wonderful day on Mackinac island where motor vehicles are not allowed. Saw the lock system at Sault St. Marie on the Canadian border. Finished up with a wonderful boat tour of Pictured Rock National sea shore on Lake Superior.

We went through Door County in Wisconsin on the way back, but that was almost disappointing in comparison. I have heard a lot of good things about Michigan and understand why now!

By "family" does that include kids, and if so approximately what ages? We've considered a very similar trip and haven't done it yet, wondering if there would be enough excitement for our pre-teenagers.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I've been to Door County, and Michigan too. I found Door County pretty cool, if a bit overpriced. The fish boils are great, there are awesome golf courses, lots of touristy stuff too.

The UP in Michigan is an unknown treasure to most. (Hint: Don't go there in the winter!)

• Agree
Reactions: CtownCyclone

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Took a road trip out to Michigan with the family last week. My what a pleasant surprise! Started out visiting South Haven which is a pleasant little tourist town of Lake Michigan. Moved up to Muskegon and toured a really cool WW2 navel museum with a working submarine. Them went dune buggy riding at Silver lake. Saw some additional huge dunes at Sleeping Bear National Park near Traverse City. Spent a wonderful day on Mackinac island where motor vehicles are not allowed. Saw the lock system at Sault St. Marie on the Canadian border. Finished up with a wonderful boat tour of Pictured Rock National sea shore on Lake Superior.

My family was camping in the UP last week as well, it was very nice. We stayed close to the Lake Superior lake shore and didn't go "under the bridge" at all. The highlights for us were Porcupine Mtns State Park, tour of the Quincy Mine National Historic Park near Houghton, Pictured Rocks (we didn't do the boat tour, but that looked amazing) and the Locks at Sault Ste Marie

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Michigan is a great place once you get away from Detroit (not that Detroit is all bad, there are some cool things about it as well). Did a weekend at a campsite near Cadillac a few years back. Was beautiful. We plan on doing UP sometime next summer. I actually have a college friend that lives up there now.

And FTR, I’d rather visit UP in the winter than I would over Memorial Day, Independence Day, or Labor Day. I’ve been told it’s like a figurative half of the LP goes to the UP during those weekends.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
By "family" does that include kids, and if so approximately what ages? We've considered a very similar trip and haven't done it yet, wondering if there would be enough excitement for our pre-teenagers.

Yes two teenagers and the third will be in December. Plenty to do, but if your kids are only interested in carnival rides and water parks, probably not the place to go.

Reactions: Trice

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Michigan is about to be the Colorado of the Central US once they get their rec weed program up and running.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yes two teenagers and the third will be in December. Plenty to do, but if your kids are only interested in carnival rides and water parks, probably not the place to go.

Thanks for the info. This trip sounds perfect for us.

Reactions: Bobber

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hit up the UP this summer with my family as well. Spent a few days along Picture Rocks. Had some great luck with cooler weather, so the flies and mosquitos were almost non-existent. Spent a couple days on Mackinac as well. While biking around Mackinac and some kayaking on Huron was fun, it was pretty crowded and touristy for my taste, though it was still great. Did the Chapel loop hike along Pictured Rocks, which checks in just under 10 mi. Really great hike. Really didn't know what to expect from the UP, as I'd never been there. I was a bit surprised how sparsely populated and redneck (Mackinac aside) it was. Overall great vacation. My kids are 7th and 5th and had a great time.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I rode up to Ontonagon, Mi one time then east and down to Menominee. Absolutely beautiful country.

Sunrise over Green Bay
download.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: SCyclone

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Took a road trip out to Michigan with the family last week. My what a pleasant surprise! Started out visiting South Haven which is a nice little tourist town by Lake Michigan. Moved up to Muskegon and toured a really cool WW2 navel museum with a working submarine. Them went dune buggy riding at Silver lake. Saw some additional huge dunes at Sleeping Bear National Park near Traverse City. Spent a wonderful day on Mackinac Island where motor vehicles are not allowed. Saw the lock system at Sault St. Marie on the Canadian border. Finished up with a wonderful boat tour of Pictured Rock National sea shore on Lake Superior.

Did almost the same trip the first week of August. Met up with 1310 other Mini Coopers to form an 86 mile parade.

Visited Painted Rock National Lakeshore on Lake Superior. Then traveled the Trans Canada Highway to International Falls

Was asked what I consider strange questions at the border. Like the name of the owner of the car, if we had visited relatives, purchases etc

Did you do the tall ships at South Haven?

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
We did Elk/Torch Lake with a couple of days spent in TC at the end of July and those might be the best lakes in the country. A lot of good breweries, restaurants, wineries and outdoor activities.
upload_2019-8-16_11-53-27.png

Reactions: wxman1

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Hit up the UP this summer with my family as well. Spent a few days along Picture Rocks. Had some great luck with cooler weather, so the flies and mosquitos were almost non-existent. Spent a couple days on Mackinac as well. While biking around Mackinac and some kayaking on Huron was fun, it was pretty crowded and touristy for my taste, though it was still great. Did the Chapel loop hike along Pictured Rocks, which checks in just under 10 mi. Really great hike. Really didn't know what to expect from the UP, as I'd never been there. I was a bit surprised how sparsely populated and redneck (Mackinac aside) it was. Overall great vacation. My kids are 7th and 5th and had a great time.

We had similar weather. Agree on the tourist crowds(particularly on Mackinac). We were there in high tourist season however so wasn't surprised. Have to think September or October would be much better that way. Yeah the UP did seem more redneck, but not really a lot of industry there to drive wealth...

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

Did you have time for Bed, Bath, and Beyond too? Sounds like a nice little Saturday.....

• Funny
Reactions: Bobber

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

We did Michigan last year in our motorhome and with our 18 year old granddaughter. Towed the Jeep behind the motorhome so we'd have a sand dune vehicle with us. Did Silver Lake Dunes which was a blast. Really like Ludington and Vacation Station RV Resort. Then did Frankenmuth which is a big favorite of the wife and granddaughter.

This was our second RV trip up there and have really enjoyed it both times. The first trip, 2013, we went through Michigan on our way up to Canada and over to Niagara Falls and then back through New York and then up through Michigan again, through the UP and back down through Wisconsin. Michigan did pleasantly surprise us on that first trip and that was the reason that we decided to do it again.

DSCN3352 Resized-2.jpg DSCN3470-Resized.jpg