OTN 7/30/19 Everybody's Talkin' At Me

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I remember buying Mellow Gold thinking, "There's gotta be a few more songs like 'Loser' on this one, right?" Then the symphony of weirdness that is Beck was the result. I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. I appreciate it more now than I did as a teenager.

I had somewhat the opposite reaction when I got the album. I had seen the video for Loser, liked the song and video a lot right off the bat. Next few times I made a trip to the record store, I'd see the CD in the bin, pick it up, and think, "Hmm, will this be a one-hit wonder, or might there be some other solid stuff on this?" (This was prior to the rise in stores that had listening stations, at least the store I frequented).

So I went back and forth a couple more times like that, then said, "Ah what the heck." And I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the first 3 tracks right away (Loser among them, of course) and several other cuts. .... Then when Odelay was released, I didn't hesitate.

But I don't return to Mellow Gold all that often anymore, at least beginning-to-end.

I know: Cool story, bro! :)

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Woe to you, oh Earth and sea, for the Devil sends the Beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the Beast
For it is a human number, its number is six hundred and sixty six

• Winner
Reactions: 3GenClone